High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Trees you've cut

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Most of the Ash trees down here are dead, but up at my cabin in the Catskills they all seem to still be alive.

My cabin (20' X 24') and 2 stories high is post and beam from Ash trees that blew over and I milled with the saw and a Beam Machine!
There is a tax reduction for using rough sawn lumber and my Dad used it on a house he built. I tried to use it on a house I built and the tax assessor said he was aware of that but that I had over built with the rough sawn lumber and if he had to come check it out he was likely to give it even a higher valuation. My Dad thought that was funny until a few years later when he built a three bay garage with his own rough sawn lumber and the tax valuation was sky high. Just because us guys (all of us on this forum) can produce and build with inexpensive lumber and do our own work does not mean the final product will not have a high (often surprisingly high) dollar value! Be careful about that "cabin" you built or you may find a tax bill that will shock you! Of course, you can build and sell and profit and, of course, the powers that be know this and have tried to do what they can to restrict this through building codes or requiring licenced contractors etc.. There was a big controversy over even being able to use rough sawn lumber for construction when bandsaw Mills became popular years ago.

Another example of the powers that be trying to use codes etc. to control things for their benefit is hydraulic 303 oil. The oil companies tried to outlaw it because it has no standard certifications so they claim it should not be classified as hydraulic oil. We all know the real reason is $$$$. I love my $25 5 gal. buckets ofn303 that can be used in older machines that were built to be run hard and for a long time with just about any abuse you could throw the machines way.

On your "cabin", I recommend you try to stay below the radar and I know your are smart enough to do so as do it yourselfers are professional at "watching their own backs" and finding loopholes on laws and codes formulated by the powers that be. Have a good day.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the Ash trees down here are dead, but up at my cabin in the Catskills they all seem to still be alive.

My cabin (20' X 24') and 2 stories high is post and beam from Ash trees that blew over and I milled with the saw and a Beam Machine!
The ash at higher elevations seems to hold out better than the stuff at lower elevations here too. Interesting. I’m not sure the reason why that is.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ash at higher elevations seems to hold out better than the stuff at lower elevations here too. Interesting. I’m not sure the reason why that is.

My understanding (from speaking to folks who know more than me) is it may be the temperature difference. They don't seem to like the cold.