High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Trees you've cut

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Walnut trees are highly valuable. I know because I saw a cartoon video that said so. Lol
If you have a woodlot it is best to have a professional forestor give it a cruise and hopefully he finds veneer log quality trees. A single veneer log can be worth over $1000. When I was logging Hemlock (not a real money maker), I used to pass a log yard that specialized in veneer logs only. I never brought in a veneer log but the lot I was logging was under a forest management plan and there were veneer quality trees. It would have been easy to figure out who took the veneer trees if they got cut down (the thought crossed my mind). Different Mills specialize in different species so a logger learns quickly where to do business with for the most $$$.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Up at my cabin in the Catskills, the Ash dries faster than anything else, so you always want some around to get the fire going.

It creates a lot of BTUs. but Cherry coals up better and is easier to relight in the morning. We often mix the two.
FYI, a pound of any wood cellulose puts out equal btu's of heat. Ten pounds of oak firewood puts out the same as ten pounds of pine firewood. The difference is in the density of the wood....ten pound piece of pine is a lot larger than a ten pound piece of oak. You can look it up in Google for more information. Most people are surprised to learn this.

Of course there are other variables to consider besides the density in choosing your firewood. I have to fill the woodstove up a whole lot more often with pine than with oak but the pine does not take years to dry and I have a bunch of large knotty pine to get rid of. Some wood smells great, splits easy, etc and that all comes into play.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, a pound of any wood cellulose puts out equal btu's of heat. Ten pounds of oak firewood puts out the same as ten pounds of pine firewood. The difference is in the density of the wood....ten pound piece of pine is a lot larger than a ten pound piece of oak. You can look it up in Google for more information. Most people are surprised to learn this.

Of course there are other variables to consider besides the density in choosing your firewood. I have to fill the woodstove up a whole lot more often with pine than with oak but the pine does not take years to dry and I have a bunch of large knotty pine to get rid of. Some wood smells great, splits easy, etc and that all comes into play.

walnut splits incredibly easy. Hand split that entire trailer full in just a couple hours.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I googled it: Yes you are correct!:)
One pound of oven-dry wood of any hardwood species has an available heat value of about 8,600 Btu. Resinous softwood species, such as shortleaf pine, tend to average slightly higher at 9,050 Btu per oven-dry pound.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around my area black walnut is made of gold! Cedar or Doug for you can hardly give away. Switch roles and I’m sure you southerners and East coasties would be hot on a 48” fir tree. All depends on what’s common where you live. I will agree walnut is over hyped, maple can and is better I think…but don’t tell the hippies and uppity ups that.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Black Locust is my favorite firewood. Mostly I burn Ash and Apple. Pine with lots of pitch in really gets things started though.
Agree about the pine with pitch getting heat in a hurry and getting heat in a hurry and a fire going is very important to me. Ash is a nice clean wood to handle and saw and burns good, plus cleaning out the ash powder in the stove is easy. I ran a woodboiler to heat a multi story rental house and the boiler would build up a lot of ashes so having a bunch of Ash to burn off my woodlot came in handy and made cleaning the ashes out easy. Woodstove ashes are great to throw on icey sidewalks and driveway.

I would run other higher BTU firewood then Ash when temps got really low. Always have plenty of pine scrap around here in Maine so that works out good. A lot of times, I sell or trade off my best firewood because my stoves are set up to burn anything and I run metalbestos triple wall chimney so no worry about creosote...actually, no worry about chimney cleaning.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Never been impressed burning Walnut, Red Oak, Hard Maple and Beech my top 3!
Red Oak is great but takes forever to get dry but when it is dry puts out a bunch of btus. I like Maple because it puts out a bunch of heat and leaves coals that last for long overnite fires. Only problem I have is I always end up trading or selling these premium firewoods when I cut up a bunch because my stoves are set up to burn lower quality wood that most people do not want and I burn that. Insulated SS chimney stops any creosote problems on plus hardly ever needs cleaning (powder is all that has come out when checking chimney.)

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Found this pebble in a Siberian Elm about 30’ up.
View attachment 326492

Yesterday was a good view. The 20mph “breeze” nearly froze me.
I would definitely be the guy on the ground keeping an eye on things! I have watched some you tube videos of you tree climbers and that is some crazy work to do! Must take a lot of training to do that skill level of work. Way up there with wind and the cold...geeez.

So what did you do with the pebble? (Guess you could accidently drop it on the guy on the ground if having a bad day.)

View attachment 326491

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, Red Oak is very wet and heavy until split, then dry time depends on how large your pieces are and your storage conditions. Large pieces will not dry fast.

From the woods I have worked with most, Hickory and wood from the White Oak family take the longest to dry. Black Birch and Sugar Maple also take a good amount of time.

Red Maple and Ash are good to go in a couple of months, and Black Cherry a little longer.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize that Mike. Lol. Usually good to go after a year of being cut and split. Red Oak is a staple of my wood cutting. Cherry usually takes longer for me. Best to burn after 2 years drying.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If your cutting green wood, you should most always let it sit for a year before burning to get best results. Red oak dries just fine if you put it up and let the mother nature do her work.
When I was younger I sold a couple some firewood and they later on said it was punky.(birch) so I said no problem I have red oak I will sell you and give you a deal. The red oak logs had been sitting for a couple of years. I cut the red oak into firewood pieces and they came and got it and were happy. A year or two later, I read a Q&A article in a lumber magazine and there was a couple from coastal Maine asking how to dry red oak that they had got a good deal on from a young tree farmer (guessing that was me) and they did not want to complain to him....the thought immediately dawned on me that the red oak logs that had sat for two years were far from dry. Good stuff that needs to be cut up and split to dry. Live and learn.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jeff, Red Oak is very wet and heavy until split, then dry time depends on how large your pieces are and your storage conditions. Large pieces will not dry fast.

From the woods I have worked with most, Hickory and wood from the White Oak family take the longest to dry. Black Birch and Sugar Maple also take a good amount of time.

Red Maple and Ash are good to go in a couple of months, and Black Cherry a little longer.
Large pieces of red oak ...may not dry at all for a very long time I have learned from experience.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As Jeff said, Ash is used in Baseball Bats and Shovel Handles, if it is solid, it is pretty hard stuff.

My Cabin is Ash post and beam, except one post is Black Cherry. You can drill a 1/2" hole in the Black Cherry twice as fast as the Ash.

My saws also go through Black Cherry faster (Black Cherry and Ash are the two most common trees we use for firewood up at my cabin).
Cherry burls are worth good money and a bunch were sold off the lot I am on.