High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Trees you've cut

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The Eastern Hemlock is very slow growing, can live for hundreds of years, and can reach 6' in diameter, but I've never seen one that big.

The Catskill Mtns were almost all Hemlock, but during the Civil War they were clear cut as the tannic acid was used for leather tanning for the war effort. Hardwoods grew in their place.

It was often used for barn siding, as it would not rot if it were not touching the ground. Lots of barns lasted over 100-year-old, and it did not need to be stained or painted. The farmers liked that, because unfinished barns were taxed at a lower rate.

My cousin says it gets harder with age because it absorbs the minerals from the rain water. When their barn fell down, he started making large picture frames from the siding. (which I've also seen in several restaurants around here).

Now it seems that every trendy restaurant in sight has re-purposed barn siding. The workmanship is often horrible, but since it is re-purposed rough wood, no one seems to notice.
Once again totally correct info from MM. Hemlock is what I was logging in Maine. It is used in framing and hardens so screw it or nail it green. The bark is used for mulch.

Hemlock has a lot of branches so used a Stihl 192C for that.

A fresh hemlock log weighs a lot. A guy with a triaxle log truck off loaded my flatbed truck at the mill once for me while the mill loader was busy. Granted the guy was moving fast and had the log off my truck fully extended but the 30" x 8'6" hemlock log lifted the whole side of the triaxle truck off the ground with the outriggers extended. The guy asked me if I saw it happen and I was surprised too.

Snowing like crazy in Maine but been running my Stihl Magnum 440 through it. We have 18" in the ground of base snow and we have 12" or more coming down right now. My F150 has a load of firewood cookies in the back for weight for plowing and to be cut up after the storm. That is a continuous process.

The Stihl 440 has been running super with the Farmertec repair parts. Wished I had bought the Arctic version. Trying to start a saw and dealing with gloves is a hassle. Heated handle would be nice since I have been cutting in 0 and below temps.

One key thing with the cold temps is to keep the gas jugs full and in warm storage to prevent condensation. When the saw starts running funky in the cold it is because of condensation.
I bring the saw right in after running it and fill it's gas tank to prevent condensation. Like MM observed, the see through Farmertec fuel tank makes seeing the fuel level a lot easier and I love that.

Usually, I take the saw from the heated indoors and run it in the cold until the tank is near the bottom and not empty and by that time both me and the saw are ready to go back inside for heat and maintanance.

Been busy as all get out and go between chainsawing and plowing and all the winter chores. Glad the Stihl 440 has been pull and go. In these winter conditions there is no time for fussing with equipment. My Stihl 440 is not for fun although it is fun to run. Definitely worth it's light weight in gold!

The wind is howling outside and snow coming down all day. The reward of chainsawing is throwing wood in the stove and heating to "no need for a shirt temps". Nice to keep a house heated so it feels like summer and clothes etc get dried out from the stove.

Here in Maine heating oil and especially electricity prices are going through the roof. I have a woodstove and free, except for labor, firewood. I also have a solar system with back up generators (rarely used) so no electric and heating bills and no worry of power outage or being cold.

Will be plowing in a while. I waited too long last storm and the plowing was hard because we got nearly 2 ft. Going to do multiple plows this time. Have a good one.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once again totally correct info from MM. Hemlock is what I was logging in Maine. It is used in framing and hardens so screw it or nail it green. The bark is used for mulch.

Hemlock has a lot of branches so used a Stihl 192C for that.

A fresh hemlock log weighs a lot. A guy with a triaxle log truck off loaded my flatbed truck at the mill once for me while the mill loader was busy. Granted the guy was moving fast and had the log off my truck fully extended but the 30" x 8'6" hemlock log lifted the whole side of the triaxle truck off the ground with the outriggers extended. The guy asked me if I saw it happen and I was surprised too.

Snowing like crazy in Maine but been running my Stihl Magnum 440 through it. We have 18" in the ground of base snow and we have 12" or more coming down right now. My F150 has a load of firewood cookies in the back for weight for plowing and to be cut up after the storm. That is a continuous process.

The Stihl 440 has been running super with the Farmertec repair parts. Wished I had bought the Arctic version. Trying to start a saw and dealing with gloves is a hassle. Heated handle would be nice since I have been cutting in 0 and below temps.

One key thing with the cold temps is to keep the gas jugs full and in warm storage to prevent condensation. When the saw starts running funky in the cold it is because of condensation.
I bring the saw right in after running it and fill it's gas tank to prevent condensation. Like MM observed, the see through Farmertec fuel tank makes seeing the fuel level a lot easier and I love that.

Usually, I take the saw from the heated indoors and run it in the cold until the tank is near the bottom and not empty and by that time both me and the saw are ready to go back inside for heat and maintanance.

Been busy as all get out and go between chainsawing and plowing and all the winter chores. Glad the Stihl 440 has been pull and go. In these winter conditions there is no time for fussing with equipment. My Stihl 440 is not for fun although it is fun to run. Definitely worth it's light weight in gold!

The wind is howling outside and snow coming down all day. The reward of chainsawing is throwing wood in the stove and heating to "no need for a shirt temps". Nice to keep a house heated so it feels like summer and clothes etc get dried out from the stove.

Here in Maine heating oil and especially electricity prices are going through the roof. I have a woodstove and free, except for labor, firewood. I also have a solar system with back up generators (rarely used) so no electric and heating bills and no worry of power outage or being cold.

Will be plowing in a while. I waited too long last storm and the plowing was hard because we got nearly 2 ft. Going to do multiple plows this time. Have a good one.
We also gotta fill up the skidder and harvester tanks at the end of the day to prevent condensation as well. It sure sucks when enough water/moisture builds up in the saw or equipment’s tanks to cause them to run funny. Only solution is drain it and buy new fuel.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We also gotta fill up the skidder and harvester tanks at the end of the day to prevent condensation as well. It sure sucks when enough water/moisture builds up in the saw or equipment’s tanks to cause them to run funny. Only solution is drain it and buy new fuel.

Can’t treat the fuel and a new set of filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yessir we got some
Then you have the temp differences to deal with as far as diesel with additives go. You put enough additive in for the deep cold and then it warms up during the day or just running the equipment hard for plowing etc.. You need either a big heated garage or a fuel heater system for an ideal set up because it is best for the engine to have no additive.

It was 42 and raining an then towards evening the temps dropped down to an overnight low of 10 and all snow all night and the next day. We got over 12" and going to -8 Tonite. Hard dealing with the temp swings.

W had old Farmalls with plenty of cast iron that could produce condensation in the gallons in the hydraulic fluid. Known big problem.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 326191 When the logs get loaded up it’s a great feeling.
It is an even better feeling when they are off loaded and you are paid! Nice feeling driving the truck without the weight of logs on. My truck felt like a race car. Logging is a cycle and the best part for me was leaving the mill with a check and heading to town to the bank and then having a spree.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice ash. Glad I got the top to roll out and lay flat.View attachment 325524Cherry I cut today. View attachment 325525
Ash is great firewood. Lots of old timers would throw it in stove come Spring when short on firewood. Low moisture and dries quickly. Penobscot Indians in Maine would hammer on it to bust up fibers and then pull strips off and weave all sorts of baskets etc. and did absolutely beautiful work. We have to keep an eye out for the ash borer that is killing the ash and we have to report it if we see it. There are different species of ash. I have cut and burned a lot of ash and love how it cuts, burns, dries, and feels in the hands. Easy clean up ash left in stove because just powder.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the Ash trees down here are dead, but up at my cabin in the Catskills they all seem to still be alive.

My cabin (20' X 24') and 2 stories high is post and beam from Ash trees that blew over and I milled with the saw and a Beam Machine!

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag