High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Trees you've cut

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes sir. I should have clarified. As soon as I cut my trees, they are cut to length and split. They dry much quicker. So I refer to my firewood as already cut and split. Not stick lengths. But I hear you. We all preach to the choir here. Lol
Yes I agree on preaching to the choir. The guys on here know what they are doing.

Best firewood deal I had was barrels of kiln dried ash, birch, maple etc from a furniture factory. I bought some pallets of wood from the owner and he was a real good guy that would give out free barrels to people through word of mouth. He would call me any time he got backed up and I would dump usually around 20 barrels on my trailer and haul. That way he had empty barrels right away. I had to hustle when he called. I started working at jobs too far away to be on call so I thanked him and told him let someone else take over.

Hard to believe some people took the free barrels of blocks and kept the barrels. I brought him in a bunch of barrels...least I could do.

I think the kiln dried wood was sprayed with a clear chemical but it did not bother my stoves. I definitely miss that arrangement.

-3 Tonite so going through some wood. Supposed to be 50 and rain Thurs! Rollercoaster weather in Maine. Have a good day and be safe.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! All depends on how and where the wood is stacked Kevin. Air dries wood. And cutting from the base dries wood. Split and stacked it dries much faster.
I was referring to cut, split, and stacked Jeff. If you were to test green cut red oak with a moisture meter after splitting one of your splits in half, I doubt it’s below 25-30% in a year

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was referring to cut, split, and stacked Jeff. If you were to test green cut red oak with a moisture meter after splitting one of your splits in half, I doubt it’s below 25-30% in a year
Agree! I try to let it air dry 4 years. That's cut split and stacked in 60+ foot rows. Worst red oaks are the ones you notch and soak your leg.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I watched a tree service doing a tree removal similar to yours right near a Family Dollar Store and busy highway. They were being very careful and taking small chunks from the top and down. That was a good thing they cut the tree down and were cautious because the massive trunk was totally rotted out in the middle. The massive tree was close to coming down on its own. Nice job on your tree!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, Yes Red Oak can be very wet to start, but Red Oak will dry a lot faster than White Oak.

Red Oak is porous, White Oak is not.

That is why White Oak is used for ship building and wine barrels, and never Red Oak.
Also why Red Oak is effected by oak wilt too a greater extent than white oak.