Tire chains

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
try lowering your tire pressure, chains are great but they can be a pain in the rear as well, I used to use them until I had a chain link puncture through the tread, now I use all terrain tires at about 27-28 psi and I get around the snow and ice covered roads and hills of NW montana just fine even at 55mph.

another phenominom I noticed is about 15° and colder the tires stick to the ice alot better, I really noticed it last week when it was -23 and I was cruising at 55 in 2 wheel drive.
That is crazy, never seen a link go through a tire. How did that happen? Where on the tire?

I've noticed the same thing the colder it gets the more traction you get. When the snow gets squeaky to drive on is when I notice a lot more traction. We had -10 early in the week with fresh snow, it was nice to drive on.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is crazy, never seen a link go through a tire. How did that happen? Where on the tire?

I've noticed the same thing the colder it gets the more traction you get. When the snow gets squeaky to drive on is when I notice a lot more traction. We had -10 early in the week with fresh snow, it was nice to drive on.
a link punctured right in the middle of the tread, tire was a dynapro atm with about 50% tread, first thing in the morning I put the truck in gear and pop the tire blew and was insta flat, the only thing I can come up with is the chain froze to bottom of the tire and whene the truck moved the tire gave way before the chain budged

Reactions: Lnk

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not off hand, but there are a LOT of Olson’s around here.
Interesting. I bet it's probably the same family you are thinking of. Jeff and his dad have an electrical business. His brother's name is Elliot.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a link punctured right in the middle of the tread, tire was a dynapro atm with about 50% tread, first thing in the morning I put the truck in gear and pop the tire blew and was insta flat, the only thing I can come up with is the chain froze to bottom of the tire and whene the truck moved the tire gave way before the chain budged
Crazy and unfortunate. I haven't seen that happen before.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bridgestone blizzaks. That is all you need. Get some from tire rack with steel wheels already on them and balanced. Had them on my F150 2wd in new england. Forget chains. Trust me, they are awesome, even on ice.
I run Blizzaks on a four wheel drive and they are great until I need chains.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run Blizzaks on a four wheel drive and they are great until I need chains.
99% of the time, you don't need chains. That 1% of the time can be a biatch without them.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those not but it is widely used brand.
Always been jealous of the tires used up there. Rallying is in your blood. Good drivers come from Finland.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, we have some yes. But there is a lot good rally drivers in Sweden, Estonia, Norway, Germany, France...
Aren't you allowed to use studded tires in the US. For sure you guys have real winter there too.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, we have some yes. But there is a lot good rally drivers in Sweden, Estonia, Norway, Germany, France...
Aren't you allowed to use studded tires in the US. For sure you guys have real winter there too.
They pretty much banned studs In the U.S., road damage is the reason they cited. You could always make them up yourself with short screws. The new snow tires you can buy are pretty awesome.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually it is quite difficult to make studded tires. You would have to drill holes etc. Studs are inserted using a specific "gun". On snowy conditions only you do not need studs, just effective pattern AND suitable rubber properties.
Studs are essential on very icy roads but since roads tend to get polished to icy in the cities almost everybody has studs.
Of course I'm talking about the situation in Finland though

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They pretty much banned studs In the U.S., road damage is the reason they cited. You could always make them up yourself with short screws. The new snow tires you can buy are pretty awesome.
didn’t know that, we always run studs in Maine

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
6:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually it is quite difficult to make studded tires. You would have to drill holes etc. Studs are inserted using a specific "gun". On snowy conditions only you do not need studs, just effective pattern AND suitable rubber properties.
Studs are essential on very icy roads but since roads tend to get polished to icy in the cities almost everybody has studs.
Of course I'm talking about the situation in Finland though

If a tire meets the criteria for severe snow rated here it will come with pilot holes for studs. They recommend only installing in new tires.
The Duratracs may have them.
The General AT/x tires on my trucks have the pilot holes and will state "studable" right on the sidewall.