Tire chains

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Living in East TN, we don’t have a need for chains very often at all, but we have been hammered this week by snow, that has now turned to ice, and now freezing rain, lol. I work for a gov agency and several of our guys have had to get out in this stuff for emergency responses. I am looking for suggestions on what type/style chain works best on 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. All of our trucks are steel wheels, so we don’t have to worry about beating them up too bad. Most of us are running a mud terrain tire as well. Like I said, it’s all Greek to me since we usually don’t get this much winter weather, but I’ve been tasked with getting some things together for our work group 🤦‍♂️

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Living in East TN, we don’t have a need for chains very often at all, but we have been hammered this week by snow, that has now turned to ice, and now freezing rain, lol. I work for a gov agency and several of our guys have had to get out in this stuff for emergency responses. I am looking for suggestions on what type/style chain works best on 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. All of our trucks are steel wheels, so we don’t have to worry about beating them up too bad. Most of us are running a mud terrain tire as well. Like I said, it’s all Greek to me since we usually don’t get this much winter weather, but I’ve been tasked with getting some things together for our work group 🤦‍♂️
in order of traction regular round link, square link, vbar, with studded being probably the best traction wise.

4 link or 2 link being the cross chain is spaced every 2 links or 4 links of the outer chain, 2 link offers the closest spacing so gives a better grip and a smoother ride. IMHO but also costs more because you are paying for more chain.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
regular round link, square link, vbar, with studded being probably the best traction wise.

4 link or 2 link being the cross chain is spaced every 2 links or 4 links of the outer chain, 2 link offers the closest spacing so gives a better grip and a smoother ride. IMHO but also costs more because you are paying for more chain.
Thanks. These will be used mostly on hard packed gravel roads that turned icy. Exactly what we have now. On my area, I shut the gates each night so my roads are still snow. Many areas don’t have that luxury and there was a major accident yesterday and the guys had a hard time getting there. I’m assuming V bar or studded would be best for our purpose. I’m not as concerned with our guys getting out on pavement unless the state EMA calls for it.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
in order of traction regular round link, square link, vbar, with studded being probably the best traction wise.

cam tensioners are probably the easiest to install but not quite as rugged if being used in off-road conditions where one might be snagging rocks and or trees etc and damage the tensioners.

chain link size light, medium, heavy duty.

For my own personal use which over the years has seen me offroading(playing) and or in and out of winter logging jobs etc etc, I have always had a set of 2 link, vbar, heavy duty non cam tensioners chains in my truck.;)

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Northern Canada you can run studded tires due to the roads being frozen over and won’t tear the road up.

Regular chains won’t do much on ice covered roads, you’d need ice chains which you‘d Need to check with your DMV to see if allowed. Whatever government department your in you may get away with it.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. These will be used mostly on hard packed gravel roads that turned icy. Exactly what we have now. On my area, I shut the gates each night so my roads are still snow. Many areas don’t have that luxury and there was a major accident yesterday and the guys had a hard time getting there. I’m assuming V bar or studded would be best for our purpose. I’m not as concerned with our guys getting out on pavement unless the state EMA calls for it.
For your intended purpose I might suggest as it really comes down to bang for the buck $100 vs $150 vs $200-$300
2 link
vbar
heavy duty
cam tensioner

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Northern Canada you can run studded tires due to the roads being frozen over and won’t tear the road up.

Regular chains won’t do much on ice covered roads, you’d need ice chains which you‘d Need to check with your DMV to see if allowed. Whatever government department your in you may get away with it.
I am in a state that banned studded tires back in the 1960s due to road damage.
Tire chain usage on paved roads is governed by the statement only in emergency conditions ie you cannot move without them.;)
You do raise valid points which should be at least checked into.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With everything you are describing I would recommend either a 5.5mm square link cam lock chain. Still offers good tractions, a smoother ride on snow pack roads and holds up well.
Second option would be a 5mm square "quick fit" chain. Not quite as robust but a breeze to install and take off. About 1 to 2 minutes per chain once you've done it a time or 2.

What tire sizes are you looking for?

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With everything you are describing I would recommend either a 5.5mm square link cam lock chain. Still offers good tractions, a smoother ride on snow pack roads and holds up well.
Second option would be a 5mm square "quick fit" chain. Not quite as robust but a breeze to install and take off. About 1 to 2 minutes per chain once you've done it a time or 2.

Solid choices.
It has been years since shopping for chains, I believe 5mm would be considered stand duty and 5.5mm would be heavy duty?
Which would you suggest 2 link or 4 link?
Is the quick fit that diamond pattern or ladder bar?

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They won’t pay for a separate set of wheeled and studded tires, even though that would be a solution. Like I mentioned, it would be on our WMA roads, so we maintain those.

Reactions: Lnk

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks for all the info. I figured we had enough people on the forum that has dealt with snow chains more than we do down there. Tires are 285/70/17 Goodyear DuraTracs. I e been looking online and like you said, it comes down ultimately to price.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the info. I figured we had enough people on the forum that has dealt with snow chains more than we do down there. Tires are 285/70/17 Goodyear DuraTracs. I e been looking online and like you said, it comes down ultimately to price.
You get what you pay for. Peerless are made just down the road from me. At least, they used to be.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Solid choices.
It has been years since shopping for chains, I believe 5mm would be considered stand duty and 5.5mm would be heavy duty?
Which would you suggest 2 link or 4 link?
Is the quick fit that diamond pattern or ladder bar?
I don't know exactly how they are classified the different sizes but in my application I would say the 5mm would be light duty. 5.5 is medium and 7mm is heavy duty.
For the OP's application I would recommend a 4 link chain. Mainly to have a cam lock on the side chain and overall weight and rotating mass driving down snow pack roads.
Yes the quick fit is a diamond pattern.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a good set of Quick Fits for my pickup, my tires are a 275/70/18. I'll look at lunch but that should fit your tires as well.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like the set of quick fits will fit your tires as well. They are the Quality Chain Diamond Back LT 2533Q.
Here is a link to see what they look like. I bought mine locally for less than this but that was years ago.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bridgestone blizzaks. That is all you need. Get some from tire rack with steel wheels already on them and balanced. Had them on my F150 2wd in new england. Forget chains. Trust me, they are awesome, even on ice.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
try lowering your tire pressure, chains are great but they can be a pain in the rear as well, I used to use them until I had a chain link puncture through the tread, now I use all terrain tires at about 27-28 psi and I get around the snow and ice covered roads and hills of NW montana just fine even at 55mph.

another phenominom I noticed is about 15° and colder the tires stick to the ice alot better, I really noticed it last week when it was -23 and I was cruising at 55 in 2 wheel drive.