Thinking of a 3/4 ton truck

They call me Mr. Kibbs

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I found this out too...had to buy a couple of knuckle joints just to get the socket back there. I would like to kick the engineer in the nuts that designed that! I have 400k on mine.
Was the '98 version the one with the plugs that would blow out, or break when removing? 400k is awesome, still original engine and trans?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the '98 version the one with the plugs that would blow out, or break when removing? 400k is awesome, still original engine and trans?
I don't know, haven't run it long enough to see if a plug blows out, so far I have not had one break off. I have a coil mount that stripped out and I need to helicoil it. Not sure if original engine and transmission, bought it at a junk yard as a fixer-upper and so far the misfiring issue is kicking my butt. I have never really worked on cars/trucks beyond the basic stuff (oil change, brakes, sparkplugs...etc), lots of parts and so many wires! Chainsaws have been pretty easy for me to get into because there is only one piston, one cylinder and one carb...relatively simple compared to a vehicle engine.

Reactions: Lnk

They call me Mr. Kibbs

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know, haven't run it long enough to see if a plug blows out, so far I have not had one break off. I have a coil mount that stripped out and I need to helicoil it. Not sure if original engine and transmission, bought it at a junk yard as a fixer-upper and so far the misfiring issue is kicking my butt. I have never really worked on cars/trucks beyond the basic stuff (oil change, brakes, sparkplugs...etc), lots of parts and so many wires! Chainsaws have been pretty easy for me to get into because there is only one piston, one cylinder and one carb...relatively simple compared to a vehicle engine.
If the misfire is throwing a check engine light (CEL), have someone read the OBDII code. I replaced all the coils about 100k ago chasing a misfire, and finally it was bad enough that it threw a code for the rear passenger cylinder (cannot remember firing order). I swapped the coil and plug with adjacent cylinder and the misfire followed it, turned out one of the new coil packs was bad. After replacing with new all has been ok.
Note that even if they are Motorcraft coils at a great price, I'd avoid buying off of ebay, I think there are some counterfeit on there, or I just have really crappy luck!

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the misfire is throwing a check engine light (CEL), have someone read the OBDII code.
Its weird, when misfiring, the check engine light flashes, but when I stop to check the OBDII code, nothing comes up. I have all new plugs in it, will probably get a set of new coils from Autozone, looking at the Duralast C1417-8 ones.

They call me Mr. Kibbs

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its weird, when misfiring, the check engine light flashes, but when I stop to check the OBDII code, nothing comes up. I have all new plugs in it, will probably get a set of new coils from Autozone, looking at the Duralast C1417-8 ones.
I can't speak for anything but my own, but I did have a short period of misfires before I replaced all the coils that ended up being a couple of plugged fuel injectors, so if the misfire persists after the coil pack R&R you might head down that path. Or, you might check the injectors before buying the coil packs.
I'm sure there are better ways to diagnose, but to get a 'guess' at the offending injector I used a long 3/8" ratchet extension touching the fuel rail near each injector with the other end of the extension tucked into my ear. Hard to explain the difference in sound, but after listening to several you can pic out the ones that are 'different'. Not exactly scientific but it worked for me. I had to replace 2, and did it in my driveway in an hour or two. Like plug R&R, just have to remove a bunch of stuff to access the rail.
Just a thought...

They call me Mr. Kibbs

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, and I do not want to sound condescending, but have you replaced the fuel filter? I do know that a clogged filter will make the engine stumble like a miss when under load.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't speak for anything but my own, but I did have a short period of misfires before I replaced all the coils that ended up being a couple of plugged fuel injectors, so if the misfire persists after the coil pack R&R you might head down that path. Or, you might check the injectors before buying the coil packs.
I'm sure there are better ways to diagnose, but to get a 'guess' at the offending injector I used a long 3/8" ratchet extension touching the fuel rail near each injector with the other end of the extension tucked into my ear. Hard to explain the difference in sound, but after listening to several you can pic out the ones that are 'different'. Not exactly scientific but it worked for me. I had to replace 2, and did it in my driveway in an hour or two. Like plug R&R, just have to remove a bunch of stuff to access the rail.
Just a thought...
That is good info. I did pull all of my injectors and inspect them, there were two with cracked heads, so I figured with everything out I would replace them and put them in the back two slots. Its $$$ to replace them all at once. I will have to give it a try with a ratchet extension, that makes sense listening to them and seeing which ones might sound different.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, and I do not want to sound condescending, but have you replaced the fuel filter? I do know that a clogged filter will make the engine stumble like a miss when under load.
Not condescending at all, I appreciate the information/help. I have not replaced the fuel filter yet, I just added one to my cart. :D

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
6:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seem to remember that if the check engine light was flashing it meant that there was an ignition misfire bad enough that the cylinder would be running raw fuel out the exhaust and the O2 sensor would see it as running super rich. I have been out of the auto tech game for quite a while now so please don't take that as gospel. If I am remembering correctly though, that should rule out fuel injection issues. I would take a close look at the coil pack boots. More than once I have seen where under load the spark can short out through a bad boot just like a bad plug wire. I believe you can usually see a white or light gray discoloration on the boot where it is arcing through.

They call me Mr. Kibbs

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seem to remember that if the check engine light was flashing it meant that there was an ignition misfire bad enough that the cylinder would be running raw fuel out the exhaust and the O2 sensor would see it as running super rich. I have been out of the auto tech game for quite a while now so please don't take that as gospel. If I am remembering correctly though, that should rule out fuel injection issues. I would take a close look at the coil pack boots. More than once I have seen where under load the spark can short out through a bad boot just like a bad plug wire. I believe you can usually see a white or light gray discoloration on the boot where it is arcing through.
Good information on the blinking light that I hope I can remember when the need arises Camaro, I remember reading something on the Ford forum a few years ago about the boots shorting out.
I used to have a '67 Firebird convertible, unfortunately it was sold for tuition. You still have your '68?

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been out of the auto tech game for quite a while now so please don't take that as gospel. If I am remembering correctly though, that should rule out fuel injection issues. I would take a close look at the coil pack boots.
While not gospel, I take your wisdom/experience seriously - at this point you have more than I do. I will keep the replacement of the fuel injectors towards the bottom of the list for now. I replaced all of the boots, just not the coils packs. I think that the next step will be to replace the coil packs and the fuel filter and see where that gets me.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 2016 f350 6.7 so I’m sure I’ll be somewhat biased, but. If you tow, you definitely want a diesel, night and day the torque vs any gas truck. But for daily driving I think it’s pointless. Everything costs more to maintain.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good information on the blinking light that I hope I can remember when the need arises Camaro, I remember reading something on the Ford forum a few years ago about the boots shorting out.
I used to have a '67 Firebird convertible, unfortunately it was sold for tuition. You still have your '68?
Yes, I still have my Camaro. I bought it when I was 14 or 15 (can't remember anymore) and someday it will be my son's. When I was in high school I got it driveable and looking nice enough from 30ft or so but it has been in storage for about 10 years now. I will get back on the road again and fix all the stuff I "fixed" as a kid.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I still have my Camaro. I bought it when I was 14 or 15 (can't remember anymore) and someday it will be my son's. When I was in high school I got it driveable and looking nice enough from 30ft or so but it has been in storage for about 10 years now. I will get back on the road again and fix all the stuff I "fixed" as a kid.
Just keep it of the chitty salt soaked roads. Rural Iowa is not too bad but CR is.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know being married is funny. The longer you are the more you realize that, a good wife is a lot like a drum set, they are loud they make beautiful noises but the make the best noise when you pound them with you stick

Write that down
Well chit I was trying to post that in the "tell me a joke thread"

Whoops ;)