Thinking of a 3/4 ton truck

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if you see a good deal on a superduty 6.0 powerstroke, stay clear or do your homework.
they need head studs, oil coolers and egr deletes, and they have to be done right or you will have to do it again…

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if you see a good deal on a superduty 6.0 powerstroke, stay clear or do your homework.
they need head studs, oil coolers and egr deletes, and they have to be done right or you will have to do it again…
I owned a 2004 6.0 and it was in shop more than parked in my driveway. 13 times to dealer for engine problems.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
4:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since you're talking of newer trucks, my dad and brother drive Ford F350's with the 6.7 diesel. One's a 15, the other's a 19, both are twice the hauler an old 7.3 is, they're comfortable as all getout, and can tow major loads through canyons with no issues. Idk about other brands rigs but a 6.7 is what I'd go for. I know they aren't F250's, but since basically everything but the spring packs are the same between them and the 3/4 tonners I figured I'd still chime in.

Last edited:

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i would check your coil backs. i also think those engines are finiky on the timing….
I have metered them off the engine and they all were in specs, I tried using an oscilloscope probe to test them while running, but couldn't get the wave shape dialed in to really tell anything. Unfortunately I think I am just going to have to replace them and see if that changes anything. They are not cheap, it means holding off on getting chainsaw parts to get them...lol

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I didn't need a diesel as well. I only haul occasionally and that is a truck camper and tow either a boat or side by side. Last year I found a F250 Tremor on the lot with the 6.7 HO in it. Traded my Tacoma (4th one) and drove it home. I like it, aside from the super overdone and sometimes poorly done electronics. Gobs of power and it drives well. It is my first diesel and probably my last truck. It has the super crew cab with 6ft 9in bed.
My work truck’s infotainment system is always glitching and shutting down!

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
6:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 3/4 ton '97 F-250, it misfires when under a load (going uphill) and the check engine light flashes, but leaves no code. No issues driving flat or down hill. I can't wait to figure out the issue so I can haul firewood with it instead of a Ford Ranger!
I have a 95’ F250 with a 5.9l guzzler. It has over 300k on the clock and has been mostly trouble free. It has drank more in fuel than I paid for it but I haven’t had DEF issues or any other emissions related stuff give me issues lol.

OP - why not step up to a 1-ton right away and skip the 3/4 ton ? Unless you’re worried you’ll end up doing like I did and buy a FL70 to use as a pickup because it was cheaper and more capable lol

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 95’ F250 with a 5.9l guzzler. It has over 300k on the clock and has been mostly trouble free. It has drank more in fuel than I paid for it but I haven’t had DEF issues or any other emissions related stuff give me issues lol.

OP - why not step up to a 1-ton right away and skip the 3/4 ton ? Unless you’re worried you’ll end up doing like I did and buy a FL70 to use as a pickup because it was cheaper and more capable lol
If you think the 5.9 is a guzzler, avoid the 7.5 commie metric 460!

They call me Mr. Kibbs

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably too old for what OP is looking for, but I have an 06 F350 4WD with the 5.4 gas, bought it 11 years ago with only 54k on it. It was an old forest service truck so it is that sorta lime/puke green, but the body was in exc shape. Only after purchasing did I hear about the broken plug problems, but in all honesty I've had no real drivetrain issues aside from a couple of clutch R&Rs, now has 269k and (knock on wood) still rolling 60-70 mi every day. Have changed plugs 3 times without issue, other than all the *s-worde that needs moving to get to the rear plugs. Point being the 5.4 may not be the boogyman a lot of people talk about. MPG OK for what it is, about 13.5 city, interstate, loaded or empty. It does lack low end for heavy pulling but the manual helps there.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 03 F250 with the 5.4. It would run like a scalded ape speed wise but pulling was not in it's wheelhouse. The 2005 F350 with the V10 pulled like a freight train until it saw a gas station.......then it said whoa!

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine too, sometimes I have to slap the dash to get the fm to work & slap the ash tray closed to be able to adjust the volume …

Funny thing is as cheap as I am Dad was cheaper. He ordered a 1978 F150 4 wheel drive and wanted it as plain jane as possible. It had a 6 cyl 4 speed, no air. The radio was just AM "cause who needs anything but KWPC". It did have power steering though and a sliding rear window.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Ext Cab Long Box
24v Cummins Diesel NV4500 5 speed
405,5++ miles and going up every day.
Older, paid for. Does what a truck is supposed to do. Not much fancy junk to go bad. Rides well. Reliable. Easy to work on, when needed (and they ALL need work eventually). Cheap to insure and license.

Hauls around about 1,100 lbs daily with the fuel transfer tank and tool box in the bed. I love it. New is nice, but not necessary for me.
Is that the green one that was at the gtg? That mileage is pretty impressive! Nice.