STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

BrettL

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen two of them in my life time and tuned one .The other was in the "dead pile" at a dealers.All things considered it really wasn't a bad cutter .

Got this one today. Real clean. Super compression! I bought it from the original owners son. Got the owners manual and its in great condition. A keeper for sure!

Attachments

• IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 40

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a bit of experienced advice.

A couple of years ago I picked up an 036 carcass that has good comp (150 psi) but s missing a bunch of parts. It has spark. The P&C are in great shape. Not sure about the boot but I will do a Pressure and vac check on the saw before I start to buy parts.
Needs a clutch cover, sprocket, bearing, washer, "C" clip and rim, top and AF cover, AF, tank vent and fuel and impulse lines. Also new clutch springs which I'll get from the dealer. Other than those items It seems intact and in fairly good shape.

I am planning to order a bunch of parts from Huztl for it.

Anything in the above bunch of parts I should stay away from and buy OEM?

I would really like to get it cutting again.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

A couple of years ago I picked up an 036 carcass that has good comp (150 psi) but s missing a bunch of parts. It has spark. The P&C are in great shape. Not sure about the boot but I will do a Pressure and vac check on the saw before I start to buy parts.
Needs a clutch cover, sprocket, bearing, washer, "C" clip and rim, top and AF cover, AF, tank vent and fuel and impulse lines. Also new clutch springs which I'll get from the dealer. Other than those items It seems intact and in fairly good shape.

I can't say my advice is the best but this is what I would do

Clutch cover-AM
Upgraded oem clutch drum kit(comes with drum, bearing, 3/8 7t rim, washer and the clip). PN 11250071041
Top and air filter covers-AM
Metal mesh air filter-oem PN 11251201610
Fuel line-oem(I'm not sure the PN there are several different fuel lines)
Tank vent-oem( same deal as the fuel line, several different ones)
Impulse line- oem PN 00009302804
Clutch springs-oem PN 00009975815

Just my $.02. Hope it helps

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I can't say my advice is the best but this is what I would do

Clutch cover-AM
Upgraded oem clutch drum kit(comes with drum, bearing, 3/8 7t rim, washer and the clip). PN 11250071041
Top and air filter covers-AM
Metal mesh air filter-oem PN 11251201610
Fuel line-oem(I'm not sure the PN there are several different fuel lines)
Tank vent-oem( same deal as the fuel line, several different ones)
Impulse line- oem PN 00009302804
Clutch springs-oem PN 00009975815

Just my $.02. Hope it helps
Just my $.02 also, which might only be worth $.01,
I'd think the AM tank vent, if it's the right one, would be ok. But I don't have any experience with one...I just can't see it not working
The huztl clutch I ordered for my 036 is the upgraded one. The clutch says 1128 on the side, so it's the same as for the 044. The clutch, drum, bearing, rim, washer,...can be bought as a kit. Seems to work fine
The biggest thing on your list to avoid is the AM fuel and impulse lines IME...others also say the AM oil pump worm gear wont hold up (if that's needed)

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And sorry not to be rude @skip sail but looking at the dirt in that pic do you even have trees to enjoy those saws with?

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hah! true,its pretty dry,tough country round here,with trees to match. Mainly Box and Ironbark eucalypts, growing in rocky clay soil.

Wacked 3 down beginning of the year, too close to house and after 3 years of drought, large branches were coming down
283b290c104c2e028e2277fbb6274c6c.jpg
0457799ea8320fb45f103ca2a2330b84.jpg

Hideous, heavy and havoc on chains

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wacked 3 down beginning of the year, too close to house and after 3 years of drought, large branches were coming down
Hideous, heavy and havoc on chains

How would you rate the Iron Bark for weight and hardness compared to your usual local timbers?

That stuff is why I call a 70cc saw my little saw that I use to limb trees like this in Aus.
I have a ported 026 that rarely gets used.

WP_20160613_12_49_00_Pro.jpg

Preferred saws in line with the thread subject :)

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG