Reaction score

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How would you rate the Iron Bark for weight and hardness compared to your usual local timbers?

That stuff is why I call a 70cc saw my little saw that I use to limb trees like this in Aus.
I have a ported 026 that rarely gets used.

View attachment 48486

Preferred saws in line with the thread subject :)

View attachment 48487

View attachment 48488

View attachment 48489

We're mostly Doug Fir, Redwood, Pine and Varieties of Oak. All the Eucs were transplants for a variety of Wrong reasons.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently acquired this 036 Pro with a lean seized piston and rings. New seals, piston and rings and now it runs great.
This saw had no cold weather shutter installed. Could the lack of a shutter in warm weather cause it to seize? I've only opened a shutter on one saw just because it was 5 below 0 F
when I was cutting.
Opinions or experiences?
Thanks!
1ce959fe4da2f8cd2b2ef115dca99b04.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently acquired this 036 Pro with a lean seized piston and rings. New seals, piston and rings and now it runs great.
This saw had no cold weather shutter installed. Could the lack of a shutter in warm weather cause it to seize? I've only opened a shutter on one saw just because it was 5 below 0 F
when I was cutting.
Opinions or experiences?
Thanks!
1ce959fe4da2f8cd2b2ef115dca99b04.jpg

the one on my 036 not pro is located just to the right of the spark plug.contrary to the manual saying it was located on the air cleaner box cover. nice looking saw BTW.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the one on my 036 not pro is located just to the right of the spark plug.contrary to the manual saying it was located on the air cleaner box cover. nice looking saw BTW.
What I should have said is that my saw did NOT have the shutter installed to the right of the spark plug. I was wondering if you guys have come across 036's without the shutter installed. It seems that most of the used engine covers for this saw that I found on ebay did not have this shutter either.
Thinking that it could affect cooling of the motor in hot weather and cause it to run hot and seize.

farmer steve

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I should have said is that my saw did NOT have the shutter installed to the right of the spark plug. I was wondering if you guys have come across 036's without the shutter installed. It seems that most of the used engine covers for this saw that I found on ebay did not have this shutter either.
Thinking that it could affect cooling of the motor in hot weather and cause it to run hot and seize.
part # for the shutter is 1125-084-4100. that shutter is primarily for letting in heated air into the carb during winter /cold weather . i would think not having it would affect the carb more than the engine when running in hot weather. but hey!! i'm just a firewood hack.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've installed the shutter and it is in the closed position.
Thanks for the replies!

benny

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
hello all..just joined. thanks to a kind gent that steered me here. i got this far on my ms260. had to use the oven to get it apart. how do you guys get the bearings off the crank?

Attachments

• 0116171719-01.jpg
    0116171719-01.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 20

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hello all..just joined. thanks to a kind gent that steered me here. i got this far on my ms260. had to use the oven to get it apart. how do you guys get the bearings off the crank?

Bearing separator, one being used to remove a bearing, same tool for chainsaws,

benny

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
cool, thank you for the replys. im going to see about borrowing one of those bearing separators tomorrow. do you guys ever replace the rod bearing?

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
12:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A few Stihls from my tree butcher days. A guy used this photo as his avatar over on AS for the two years that I was off of that site. I asked him why he used it, and he said he got it from somewhere else on the internet. I did not care that he was using it, I just wondered why. I mean, its just some saws in my backyard. *shrug* I guess these family photos get around the internet?

Anyway, top to bottom, 2 x 361, 044 R, 2 x 026.
361 and friends.jpg

farmer steve

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hi benny. welcome to the site. where in PA? york co here.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
cool, thank you for the replys. im going to see about borrowing one of those bearing separators tomorrow. do you guys ever replace the rod bearing?

Rod bearings can be done but its very precise work and requires the precision tools required to cold press the crank apart, install new bearings and then press the crank back together, that`s the easy part. Then the crank has to be mounted between centers and runout dials set up to figure which direction the counterweights need to be nudged to bring the crank back into alignment. Tapping the crank counterweights in opposite directions until the dial indicators zero out and the crank is straight, usually a couple of weld beads on the throw stub to prevent the crank from slipping finishes up the job.

benny

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
hello, i live in Clearfield pa. wow on the rod bearing replacement. i hate to re use the old one but i doubt i will be able to get a new rod bearing installed. i do have a local machine shop, possible they could do it.