STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy guy, always great to see those sweet looking Stihls. I’ve been lucky and finally got my wife to break down and let me get a 261cm. Yes, it cost me more on the “honey-do” list than the cost of the saw but what the heck.
I was wondering if anyone had an IPL for this saw since I intend to experiment a bit with some b/c combinations that will scare away my dealer for sure.
Thanks and there sis no better way to cure chainsaw addiction than to buy a new Stihl saw even if you don’t need it!
Take care y’all
Check your inbox for an ipl, service manual and a couple tech bulletins

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Last night, I put the 038 Mag II back together after some cleaning up. Gave it a run last night to make sure all was running well. Put it away, then today, I put the bar and chain on, gave it a run and adjusted the Idle screw (LA) to get the chain to stop spinning at idle. Some slight tweaking and then I noticed one of the lower muffler screws is now gone.

When I put it back together, the screw didn't tighten up like the others did. And no, I didn't go German torque on it :) . I know better than that. I'm thinking the guy I bought it from knew it was stripped and put some sort of adhesive in there and when I cleaned the saw, it removed what ever was in there. Sooo…..is there a way to "fix" that? Or should I let a professional take care of that when my saw goes for porting?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The screws should be M 5 by 18 .A simple fix is drill and tap it out to M6 .On various saws I've resorted to this .If I'm not mistaken those originally had a belleville washer which often gets lost and they ham fist it tight which eventually strips the threads out .

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The screws should be M 5 by 18 .A simple fix is drill and tap it out to M6 .On various saws I've resorted to this .If I'm not mistaken those originally had a belleville washer which often gets lost and they ham fist it tight which eventually strips the threads out .

Yup, had the beveled washer..not anymore.....ugh. Ok. I guess I will let @huskihl know this....

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether the con rod on an early 038 had an oil hole for the small end/wrist pin bearing and and an oil slot for the big end bearing? I dismantled the case of a metal handled 038 AV
that I believe had very little run time and the con rod has these features but does not have "Stihl" anywhere on the crankshaft assembly. I got the remains of this saw from the original owner's son. It was reportedly never rebuilt and was purchased new but was laid up with crank case damage after its second work outing when a tree jumped on it.... I'm considering using this crank in an 038 Magnum rebuild thinking that the ability for extra oil to get to the bearings has got to help longevity. Any thoughts/comments?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The crankshaft number is 1119-030-0400 if that helps any .As far as I can tell from the parts list the same crankshaft was used on the AV ,super and magnum .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With regard to the 038 series I can't say enough good about them .This IMO was one of Stihls finest and of them the mag is my favorite and probably made in more numbers than the av and super . You can still get OEM parts for the mags from a dealer and there is aftermarket galore .They take to modifications very well if you want to go that route or do fine in stock trim .With a little bet of preventative maintenance and care I think this model could nearly run forever .Some bellyache they are too heavy .WTH I'm 72 years old and I don't have a problem ,don't be a wuss .Man up just think about those old guys swinging a Mall model 7 .:)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I've seen 2 or 3 supers in my lifetime and only a few av's .Mostly Mags, Mag II's .Which I really think are the same except the decals .Hype and hoopla

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
AVs and Supers are the most common ones that I see in the UK and Ireland - there are some Magnums around but they are rarer (possibly because people hold on to them) and they command a premium. I have been working with or alongside an 038 for almost as long as I can remember. The one that my father and uncle shared until I bought my own Super was a plain 038AV. That 038 has never been rebuilt and has cut a serious amount of timber in the 40 years I have known it. Up until relatively recently I had never used another saw so I don't think it heavy. My father is 78 and will usually lift my 038 Super in preference to my 024 or any of my other saws.
Yes Al, I believe you are right that the same crank was used on all the 038 variants.
I would love to know a little more about the oil holes in the crank from the saw I stripped down as referenced above.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AVs and Supers are the most common ones that I see in the UK and Ireland - there are some Magnums around but they are rarer (possibly because people hold on to them) and they command a premium. I have been working with or alongside an 038 for almost as long as I can remember. The one that my father and uncle shared until I bought my own Super was a plain 038AV. That 038 has never been rebuilt and has cut a serious amount of timber in the 40 years I have known it. Up until relatively recently I had never used another saw so I don't think it heavy. My father is 78 and will usually lift my 038 Super in preference to my 024 or any of my other saws.
Yes Al, I believe you are right that the same crank was used on all the 038 variants.
I would love to know a little more about the oil holes in the crank from the saw I stripped down as referenced above.
My friend just picked up a really tidy original 038 Magnum here in NZ for $400NZD (approx £205 or $261USD) I thought that was a pretty good bargain. Goes well too, heaps of torque.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As for the oil hole it's rather misleading .On the parts list it shows what looks like an oil hole on the piston pin end .However from pics on E-bay none show it .Some place I thought I have a crankcase with a crank in it but where it's at I have no idea .I did find two Ms 200T cranks in my quest but they won't be of much help .

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As for the oil hole it's rather misleading .On the parts list it shows what looks like an oil hole on the piston pin end .However from pics on E-bay none show it .Some place I thought I have a crankcase with a crank in it but where it's at I have no idea .I did find two Ms 200T cranks in my quest but they won't be of much help .
The oil holes I referred to are visible in the following pictures. The crankshaft on the right has a Stihl logo etched into the crank journal. The one with the oil holes has no Stihl logo but came from a VERY early metal handled 038. @Mastermind - have you come across oil holes/slots like these when working on any Stihl 038s?

Attachments

• DSC03038.JPG
    DSC03038.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03039.JPG
    DSC03039.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC03040.JPG
    DSC03040.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Side views of the crankshaft counterweights:

Attachments

• DSC03041.JPG
    DSC03041.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03042.JPG
    DSC03042.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 15

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are common characteristics of earlier Stihl cranks and are found on many models including the 1111 and 1115 series saws.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd say that metal handle deal would probably be an AV .Perhaps the slots would be added later to others but the solid one should certainly work I would think .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Got enough parts to get this basket case togeather. Was disapointed when i didnt see the red light light up. Oh well.
Now i dont mind looking for the rest of the parts since its running.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Now If your recoil handle was a t-27....

that’s great you got her together!

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An old 066 is always worthwhile if you have the patience to find parts cheap enough. Is that one supposed to be a Red Light, or does it just have the led hanging there with wires to nowhere?