High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It's screen material on both sides. I think I'll just order the OEM Stihl one before I go running it anymore.

I think I will put an Elastostart on it too. Take it apart and clean it good before anymore test runs. Would love to have it ported. Probably get a new tank/handle for it. The one side of the tank looks like it has some sort of epoxy on it that fixed a crack or leak on it.
3fde28e5400c08fa7c4f2f46cfe21706.jpg

Last edited:

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont know if the wire mesh style air filter belongs there, I figured I would ask here before getting an OEM one that isn't the wire one.

They had that filter. The wire mesh air filter was used up to serial no. 144381326 (1996). After that the fleece air filter was used.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey just wanted to let you guys know I'm gathering parts for my ms441 jigsaw chainsaw. I surfed the web for clips for the air filter cover and a throttle cable , both of these items seem to made of platinum and diamonds , so I went to my local stihl dealer and asked, he got me clips for like 3 bucks a piece and a new throttle cable for 25 , this only confirms that the internet is full of cats and Ass@#lez .
By June I should have all the parts to put it together.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You about need to know what the prices are on chainsaw parts or anything else you might be looking for on flea bay .Then add in the shipping costs . many times it's not such a good deal .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bailey's was good until the business sold then it wasn't so good .Gregg Grande ,probably one of the best parts chaser ever went off to greener pastures . They are not a Stihl dealer and more or less sell stuff they obviously got through Stihl one way or another for escalated prices .I haven't done business with them for some time and don't plan on it either .

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Couple of days ago, I received the Elastostart recoil rope to replace the short/broke recoil on my 038 Mag II. Pulled off the recoil and it was caked full of dust, oil, chips and all sorts of nastiness inside of there...

Lightly took a screw driver and scraped out all the heavy stuff. Took off the inner plastic recoil cover to get the new recoil rope in and that had caked on, burned in oil. At this point, I decided to take the rest of the plastics off and check those out. Same as the recoil....caked with burned in oil/dust. So, I decided to get the handle bar off and take the rest of it apart for now and clean the crap out of it.

I have a NOS OEM tank/handle coming to replace the one that is on it. I could smell the gas when it was sitting not running the other day. It will give me a chance to replace the fuel lines and anything else that could use replacing. That and get it tuned right. Chain spins when it's idling.

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I need to get some heavy duty parts cleaner for the rest of the saw. I grabbed some household degreaser/cleaner to clean the plastics and its working okay so far.

I don't know the history of this saw, but it seems to have been used pretty heavily by the amount of gunk in it. Used and abused. The clutch cover looks like hell on it.

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Couple of days ago, I received the Elastostart recoil rope to replace the short/broke recoil on my 038 Mag II. Pulled off the recoil and it was caked full of dust, oil, chips and all sorts of nastiness inside of there...

Lightly took a screw driver and scraped out all the heavy stuff. Took off the inner plastic recoil cover to get the new recoil rope in and that had caked on, burned in oil. At this point, I decided to take the rest of the plastics off and check those out. Same as the recoil....caked with burned in oil/dust. So, I decided to get the handle bar off and take the rest of it apart for now and clean the crap out of it.

I have a NOS OEM tank/handle coming to replace the one that is on it. I could smell the gas when it was sitting not running the other day. It will give me a chance to replace the fuel lines and anything else that could use replacing. That and get it tuned right. Chain spins when it's idling.

Replace the clutch springs while you at working on this saw - if they have weakened, they may be the cause of the chain spinning whilst the saw is idling.

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That or it's just idled a tad high .

Replace the clutch springs while you at working on this saw - if they have weakened, they may be the cause of the chain spinning whilst the saw is idling.

I might as well replace them. Going to have the saw apart to replace the tank, might as well do new lines, and make sure the intake is still good to go. Clean the carb and make sure that isn't gunked up either. Just an overall cleaning down to the nooks and crannies. The plastics cleaned up pretty good. Get some pic up.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might as well replace them. Going to have the saw apart to replace the tank, might as well do new lines, and make sure the intake is still good to go. Clean the carb and make sure that isn't gunked up either. Just an overall cleaning down to the nooks and crannies. The plastics cleaned up pretty good. Get some pic up.

Sometimes hardened grease in the clutch drum bearing will cause the chain to spin.

OC455

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Worked on cleaning a bit more today. Got the muffler off and checked the piston, it looks very clean and unscathed. I attempted to take the cover off over the clutch. Removed the five screws there and it doesn't come off like I thought it would. I removed the C-clip, washer and chain sprocket but that is as far as I got. I don't have a snap ring plier to get the snap ring off.

Guess I'll wait til tomorrow to borrow one from my neighbor....

Last edited: