STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its an accual red light. Will have to see if any of the wire are worn through.
Im thinking of a velosity stack for the air filternormit will cost a fortune for the filter stuff on ebay.
Velosity stack is still about 80 CAD with shipping

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pawn shop? 459$ wonder what the pawn shop gave money wise against it. Anything more than 25-30$ is too much.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious, Is rebuilding ms170's a common thing (at least for service centers) or is it just not worth it. It's not worth the trouble in my opinion, and not worth paying someone else to do it, but just wondering if it's common. The 170 is light weight, and the 171 is a pound heavier, so I'd think it could end up somewhat desirable when they quit making them.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor has a 260 with a broken rear handle. and wants to replace it. He figures he can do it himself but I suspect it will end up with me fixing it.

Looking for opinions on the aftermarket rear handle / tank assemblies out there so I can tell him which one is best to buy.

Thanks

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor has a 260 with a broken rear handle. and wants to replace it. He figures he can do it himself but I suspect it will end up with me fixing it.

Looking for opinions on the aftermarket rear handle / tank assemblies out there so I can tell him which one is best to buy.

Thanks

Haven't bought one lately. A few years ago I used quite a few. The quality was good then and very useful. I removed the gas line and impulse line and replaced them with OEM.
That would be my recommendation also.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used one of the aftermarket 1121 tank/handles from DDave and it was fine. Not as lucky with an 036 from another seller, though. Fitment was good in both instances but the 036 tank leaked and actually separated with very little effort when I tried to seal it. One day out of the 30 day replacement policy and the seller wouldn't make good on it. (Not one of the more familiar ones, fwiw.) One thing that has been known to be shaky on the 1121 tanks is the vent. DDave included an OEM with the one I bought from him.
Just buy from one of the familiar sellers and pressure test the tank with a fair amount of pressure and it should be good to go. And ditto on the lines just because.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW, I would rebuild an 017/170 any day -- to sell. It would be cost prohibitive to do for a customer even though top ends are cheap. Takes no time at all to tear one down and rebuild..., if you have the time. Have three sitting here right now that I got in a weird deal. Nice little homeowner saw or starter saw for the budding Stihlhead in the family.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find here that any piece of junk sells faster than a decent saw. The last one I sold was one of those little crap MAC225 plastic saws that feel like they would disintegrate in a pinch. I got $50 and a decent bottle of red wine for it same day.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't bought one lately. A few years ago I used quite a few. The quality was good then and very useful. I removed the gas line and impulse line and replaced them with OEM.
That would be my recommendation also.

I've used one of the aftermarket 1121 tank/handles from DDave and it was fine. Not as lucky with an 036 from another seller, though. Fitment was good in both instances but the 036 tank leaked and actually separated with very little effort when I tried to seal it. One day out of the 30 day replacement policy and the seller wouldn't make good on it. (Not one of the more familiar ones, fwiw.) One thing that has been known to be shaky on the 1121 tanks is the vent. DDave included an OEM with the one I bought from him.
Just buy from one of the familiar sellers and pressure test the tank with a fair amount of pressure and it should be good to go. And ditto on the lines just because.

Thanks guys!