Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks simple enough to make Yourself. o_O

I have never seen a bar closer for sale in Europe.
Never needed one either.

Desko74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks simple enough to make Yourself. o_O

I have never seen a bar closer for sale in Europe.
Never needed one either.

I thing is a clever equipment.
In Europe, unfortunately everthing about the consumer society.....
I fight againt it in myself.. Therefore I like that kind of things and I wolud like to buy.

Have You seen this bar repair video?
I like it very much.
Nowadays everything is all about to buy-buy always new ....... don not try to fix the old one....

Last edited:

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,
its been a while since I presented a Dolmar / Makita here. Have had a few PS-401
on my bench but everybody knows them so no use to show such saw here.
Recently I found an uncommon one that I like to share pictures with you.
Currently uncleaned yet, the pics show her in the state she arrived this week:

handschutz.jpg

hintenrechts.jpg

rechts.jpg

typschild.jpg

vornlinks.jpg

This is a Makita MDE400. A saw apparently designed for the Japanese market exclusively: No decals or stickers in anything but Japanese writing (except for sprocket cover label).

Color scheme is different from the common DCS saw's scheme: Body parts, that is crankcase and tank-handle-unit are black rather than teal, covers light grey only the side covers are teal. Muffler is painted black.

And the most important difference: The saw has "Start & Go" in combination with 39 cc displacement. This combination of displacement with Tillotson HU carb, primer and multi-function switch is not to be found in any regular DOLMAR model, nor any Makita DCS, AFAIK.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thing is a clever equipment.
In Europe, unfortunately everthing about the consumer society.....
I fight againt it in myself.. Therefore I like that kind of things and I wolud like to buy.

Have You seen this bar repair video?
I like it very much.
Nowadays everything is all about to buy-buy always new ....... don not try to fix the old one....

A hammer and a piece of plat the proper thickness will work fine, I've fixed a handful of warped and pinched bars with a few hammers, an anvil, and a cold chisel.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use my bar rail closer all the time. But I cut a lot of wood. Takes about two months cutting on a tsumura bar… or one month cutting on a oregon bar then it’s rails start to get sloppy. Won’t cut straight anymore. I close them rather than throwing them away. Also running the next gauge chain size is a fix too… but that just complicates things when your trying to stick to running one gauge of chain. The bar rail closer has definitely saved me a lot of money.

Desko74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use my bar rail closer all the time. But I cut a lot of wood. Takes about two months cutting on a tsumura bar… or one month cutting on a oregon bar then it’s rails start to get sloppy. Won’t cut straight anymore. I close them rather than throwing them away. Also running the next gauge chain size is a fix too… but that just complicates things when your trying to stick to running one gauge of chain. The bar rail closer has definitely saved me a lot of money.

Great info...thanks!
I do agree.... it must save money....

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course I have a vise but I think a simple vise is not a proper substitution.
Depends on how often You need a bar rail closer.
If You have multiple bars that require attention then utilizing a shop vise may be tedious.

I am intriqued to make a rail closer, but my plate is overflowing with obligations and I must prioritise.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking over my saw this morning and thinking about the company history. I was very surprised to learn that Mr. Lerp created the worlds first petrol powered chainsaw in 1927. The year after Stihl introduced the electric chainsaw. He named it and eventually his company after the mountain it was tested on. Dolmar Mtn. If they can hold on another 6 years that would make 100 years of Dolmar chainsaws.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They will get there with battery powered chansaws.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read somewhere (and saw pics) of Dolmar branded electric chainsaws that were available now. Don’t know if they will continue to carry over the Dolmar brand or not.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read somewhere (and saw pics) of Dolmar branded electric chainsaws that were available now. Don’t know if they will continue to carry over the Dolmar brand or not.
That would be cool if they did.