POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thjis post will be a bit lengthy,but here goes.I bought a new sprocket drum for the 3400 about 15 months ago since the old sprocket was chewed up pretty good.I went to put the sprocket on the saw today,it fit just fine,but once the clutch was tightened up it'd bind something terrible..It was an old Sabre sprocket sold by Stens that had the replacement of an Oregon 32790X.Apparently it was packaged improperly.I put the old sprocket on from the other 3400 & all was good.I then fired up the 3400 & had oil puking out all over the pl;ace.Apparently the automatic oiler started working,but I'll need to cut a channel for the oil to flow to the oil slot with my Dremel tool on the bar pad.Things are looking up on the original 3400.

As for the newest 3400 I got yesterday - I pulled the carb today to see if it needed rebuilding.All was good,but someone had been into the carb & reversed the tan colored pump diaphragm.I put it on the correct way,but still the saw wouldn't fire up.I remember yesterday when I checked it for spark that it'd fire with a yellow spark & then turn blue.I'm thinking that the ignition module is breaking down & won't fire under compression..I'll get a new module & put that on & see if it makes a difference.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the new module today & I had to drill out the mounting slots.Either the people in China are morons & can't read specs,or they just don't care.Anyway,the module was throwing great spark & the cylinder was getting fuel,so the compression is so low that it can't fire.I pulled the muffler off to have a look at the P&C & they both looked good.The rings were free & had spring to them when pushed on with a screwdriver.I ordered a set of rings & a cylinder gasket & should have them by Mon.Can anyone tell me what type of screws were used to fasten the cylinder to the crankcase?Allen head screws?

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the new aftermarket ignition module yesterday & had to modify it.The slotted holes for the mounting sdcrews weren't big enough,so I drilled them out.The saw has great spark & is drawing fuel,but won't fire.I pulled the muffler off to have a look at the P&C & all looked good,no scoring on either one.I'm assuming the 110 psi isn't enough compression to make it fire.I've ordered a set of rings & a base gasket,but I'm thinking of doing a gasket delete to improve compression..Any advice on the gasket delete is welcome.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore the 3400 down today for the rings.I'm just waiting on the rings now.I noticed the cylinder didn't come off so easily.Will it be a PITA to put it back on?I've only done rings on Macs & they go into the cylinder very easily.No compressor needed.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
2:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You try Kevin (Redneckchainsawrepair) on the other forum (hes a member here also "cut4fun" but rarely ventures over here)?
Very fair prices with Kevin.
I bought 4 NOS crank seals for Poulan 3300 from him for $6/ea.
They sell for $25-$30 each on fleabay (unobtainium).
Thanks

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many turns, after initial contact ( before starting) is a good start for the idle screw on 306a

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore the 3400 down today for the rings.I'm just waiting on the rings now.I noticed the cylinder didn't come off so easily.Will it be a PITA to put it back on?I've only done rings on Macs & they go into the cylinder very easily.No compressor needed.
Ed I've used a fat zip tie as a ring compressor, for a piston that was bigger than my set.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the rings today & installed them on the piston.I cut an aluminum strip fropm a beverage container to use as a ring compressor & it didn't work.I guess ya gotta be an octopus.I've got a friend coming over tomorrow to give me a hand (or 2).

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a Canadien back together recently and had to use a large, screw type hose clamp as a ring compressor. Ones the rings were in the cylinder I just unscrewed the clamp and took it off.

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a friend come over today to give me a hand with getting the cylinder on.We had it back on in no time.I got the rest of the saw put back together & tried starting it,but it wouldn't start.I noticed there was fuel at the top of the cylinder by the intake & it dawned on me that I'd forgotten to tighten down the intake.So,tomorrow I'll have to pull the carb back off & tend to that.I might have to put the original coil back on too.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK,this saw is really beginning to piss me off.I pulled the carb & checked the intake screws,took the carb apart to find the metering lever was set way too high.I lowered it to where it should be & put the carb back on.The ignition module is supposed to have a set air gap,meaning there's supposed to be no adjustment.If I just tighten the screws in place there's no spark,BUT....if I let the laminations hit the FW,then it has spark??? WTF is up with that? It doesn't matter which module I use,the new aftermarket POS,or the original one.Almost time to walk away for a yr.or so.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe someone can explain to me why prior to putting new rings in the Poulan it had 110 psi & now after the rings it has only 100 psi?I got spark on the little biotch today & when I tried starting it it'd only sputter a tiny bit.I thought after putting new rings in the compression was supposed to come up,not go down.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda hard to heat & seat when the compression is so low that the saw won't fire,let alone run.That 3400 POS can sit till hell freezes over before I tear into it again.

I was told by the know-it-all A-holes on FB group that I should've honed the cylinder.I was taught that honing a chrome plated cylinder is a no-no as it'll remove the chrome..

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda hard to heat & seat when the compression is so low that the saw won't fire,let alone run.That 3400 POS can sit till hell freezes over before I tear into it again.

I was told by the know-it-all A-holes on FB group that I should've honed the cylinder.I was taught that honing a chrome plated cylinder is a no-no as it'll remove the chrome..
Ed,
The cylinder on 3400's and 3800's is not chrome plated. It's a high silicon aluminum. The piston is chrome plated.

The compression on a 3400 is typically 120-130 psi

The squish on most of that series is 0.040"+

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone know the model of the saw on the left ?
I'm selling the two and not sure what it is
Thanks
Ernie

Attachments

• KIMG0466.JPG
    KIMG0466.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG0467.JPG
    KIMG0467.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 6
  • KIMG0468.JPG
    KIMG0468.JPG