POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well fellas,I got the oil tank gasket for the 306A today & got it installed.I put a thin coat of MotoSeal on the tank halves to make sure it sealed & to hold it in place while I bolted it back together.The hardest part was getting the bolt that goes in from under the FW cover to get started.I put loctite on everything.I'd have kept working,but the rain came they were forecasting & as it was I had to bring the saw into the house to finish the last 3 bolts.Only thing left to do is put the clutch back on along with the bar & chain & the 3 screws that hod the FW cover on.I suppose I should fill it up with oil first to see if it leaks or not.

Next it's on to the miserable 3400 oiler again.I got the slotted tubing nut today also.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have a functional cylinder for a 306a they’d be willing to donate, swap, or sell. Only interested in one that has the chrome lining intact and complete. Thanks, jerry
Jerry,if the other guy here doesn't have what you're looking for,you might try Buford Parrish in Ky.He has tons of Poulan parts,maybe even a good used cylinder.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,I put oil in the 306A tank & it's still leaking,only now it's leaking out of the "exhaust check valve".I pulled the check valve out & couldn't really see anything wrong with it.It might have some old sludge & dirt holding it open.I'll soak it in some acetone & see what happens.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The acetone bath didn't work.The ball & spring moved freely,but when I lay the saw on it's side it continues to leak oil.The ball is damaged,or the spring is weak causing it to leak.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got the exhaust check valve ordered from Buford Parrish in Ky.for the 306A.

I moved on to the 3400 today & saw where I went wrong 15 months ago.I pulled the oil pump assembly back out & found the oil pick up line had detached itself from the oil pump.Upon further investigation,I found the oil line had deteriorated to the point that it needed to be replaced.After replacing the oil line I had to do some fishing to get the oil discharge line back ionto the discharge port.I used a thin,but fairly stiff fencing wire & put it down through the discharge port till I could see it in the tank.Then I fished the plastic discharge line onto the wire & gently feed it up through the discharge port.The only thing left for me to do is put the brass fitting onto the plastic line & hope for the best.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got the exhaust check valve ordered from Buford Parrish in Ky.for the 306A.

I moved on to the 3400 today & saw where I went wrong 15 months ago.I pulled the oil pump assembly back out & found the oil pick up line had detached itself from the oil pump.Upon further investigation,I found the oil line had deteriorated to the point that it needed to be replaced.After replacing the oil line I had to do some fishing to get the oil discharge line back ionto the discharge port.I used a thin,but fairly stiff fencing wire & put it down through the discharge port till I could see it in the tank.Then I fished the plastic discharge line onto the wire & gently feed it up through the discharge port.The only thing left for me to do is put the brass fitting onto the plastic line & hope for the best.
Glad to see people fixing these saws.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 3400 is turning out to be a bite in my backside.The slotted nut that is SUPPOSED to screw into the oil discharge port doesn't screw in.I went to put the nut in & it pushed the plastic discharge line right out of the port.Once again I had to take the oil pump back out.This time I took the line off the pump & fished it up into the discharge port.I have a thin wire inserted in the line which is kinda holding it in place & I can slip the slotted nut over the wire onto the plastic line.Then I'll need to TRY to re-attach the discharge line back onto the pump.I've NEVER seen such an imbosile set up for an oil line in my life.No wonder Poulan went out of business..If the next attempt doesn't work the saw will most likely become airborn & then put away for another 18 months,or sold for parts,or scrapped.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 3400 is turning out to be a bite in my backside.The slotted nut that is SUPPOSED to screw into the oil discharge port doesn't screw in.I went to put the nut in & it pushed the plastic discharge line right out of the port.Once again I had to take the oil pump back out.This time I took the line off the pump & fished it up into the discharge port.I have a thin wire inserted in the line which is kinda holding it in place & I can slip the slotted nut over the wire onto the plastic line.Then I'll need to TRY to re-attach the discharge line back onto the pump.I've NEVER seen such an imbosile set up for an oil line in my life.No wonder Poulan went out of business..If the next attempt doesn't work the saw will most likely become airborn & then put away for another 18 months,or sold for parts,or scrapped.
Screenshot_20230719-052741_Drive.jpg
Is the nut too far back on the tube?

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe there are no threads in the boss.I must've had that damn oil pump off the saw a dozen times already.I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna JB Weld the oil line in place.If it doesn't work then the PITA is getting parted out.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all thought I’d share my latest purchase here. It’s a Poulan 455 ( which is a p45? If the internet is to be trusted) traded in to the local husky dealer by the original owner who is unable to pull it over anymore. Started on the 6th pull, looks to be very well kept. Also should the filter be oiled on this saw? I know little about them thanks

Attachments

• A986D867-A5A2-4364-9BBF-E623940EF56E.jpeg
    A986D867-A5A2-4364-9BBF-E623940EF56E.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 4
  • A40EE6CF-8587-49D4-B587-B546B9B73F18.jpeg
    A40EE6CF-8587-49D4-B587-B546B9B73F18.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 4
  • 46B7DC6A-5438-46A0-A475-CCDE4A73196A.jpeg
    46B7DC6A-5438-46A0-A475-CCDE4A73196A.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 5

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the exhaust check valve (oil check valve) today & installed it.It's still leaking like a sieve.I have no idea where it's leaking from.I'll have to wait till my son gets home & have him hold the saw on it's side up in the air while I put oil in it.I can get a new oil tank for it with bar studs for around $45,but the saw is hardly worth putting that kind of money into.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the exhaust check valve (oil check valve) today & installed it.It's still leaking like a sieve.I have no idea where it's leaking from.I'll have to wait till my son gets home & have him hold the saw on it's side up in the air while I put oil in it.I can get a new oil tank for it with bar studs for around $45,but the saw is hardly worth putting that kind of money into.
Ed I've got a 3400 parts saw, its missing a few pieces? But the oiler is still on it. If you need something just let me know.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed I've got a 3400 parts saw, its missing a few pieces? But the oiler is still on it. If you need something just let me know.
Thanks Ira! I'm supposed to get the other 3400 in the mail today.It's untested,so lord only knows what it needs.I JB Welded the oil discharge line in place on the original 3400 yesterday,so I'll see how that works out (if it does).Like I said before,I'm sure that between the 2 saws I should be able to come up with one decent runner.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good news & bad news.I got my original 3400 running again.It only will oil manually & that took some time to activate.No leaks to this point.I took a compression test on it & it came in at 115 psi.I'd say that's on the low side & I'm surprised the saw even runs.
I got the new 3400 & it fired on a prime.I put a new fuel filter in it & it still wouldn't run.I changed the plug & still nothing.I did a compression test on it & it came in at 110 psi,probably why it won't fire.It has good spark.I have no idea as to what the compression should be on these saws,but I'm assuming in the neighborhood of around 150 psi.