POULAN The Official Poulan Thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a used oil tank with the pumps for $25 on feebay for the 306A.I put it on the saw today,but got rained out & couldn't test it.I'll test it tomorrow a.m.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone know the model of the saw on the left ?
I'm selling the two and not sure what it is
Thanks
Ernie
By the color of the rear handle and the AF cover it would be a PP395. Equivalent is a Poulan 4000.

Parts on those saws interchange so you may want to pull the muffler cover off and check the rings (would be thin tool steel rings) and the bore dia. would be 1.935".

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By the color of the rear handle and the AF cover it would be a PP395. Equivalent is a Poulan 4000.

Parts on those saws interchange so you may want to pull the muffler cover off and check the rings (would be thin tool steel rings) and the bore dia. would be 1.935".
Here's a pic of the rings ..KIMG0464.JPG

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally after 4 yrs.I got the 306A running & oil leak free! I bought a used oil tank on feebay & put it on yesterday.All I had to do was put oil in today,right?Wrong! As fast as I put oil in it came pouring out.Needless to say I was pissed.I ended up replacing the "exhaust valve" (oil discharge valve) & also found that the long screw that goes in the front of the tank was missing.I took the long screw out of the original tank & put it in the newer tank.Between the two it stopped leaking.Next was to put the clutch back on.To make a long story short,I lost the small thrust washer that goes behind the large thrust washer/plate right behind the clutch.I found a washer that fit the crank,but the chain keeps running at idle.After getting that taken care of,I put the bar & chain on &12 puills later it was running again.I'd replaced the FW side crank seal about 2 1/2 yrs.ago & thought I was done then,but the oil leak issue popped up.Some people like to put fear into another man & I was told that however I took the oiler apart,it had to be put back together the way it came apart.Duh,no kidding.That's what deterred me from getting the saw fixed sooner.There's no big deal with taking the oil tank off & apart.Apparently there's a hairline crack in the original tank,still good for parts though.Here are a couple pics of the saw.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 7

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the Poulan 3400 that I put new rings in running today! It seems that either Poulan used 2 different screw sizes,or someone changed the original screws that hold the ignition coil in place.I pulled the ignition module off my original 3400 & was going to try the coil from the other 3400 that I got a couple of weeks ago.Easier said than done.Apparently Poulan used different size spades on their coils cuz when I tried hooking one coil onto another saw it wouldn't fit.I ended up putting the mounting screws from the original 3400 onto the aftermarket coil,put it back together & put a shot of fuel in the cylinder & a couple of pulls later the saw was running.I was able to put the mounting screws into the original 3400 & it worked fine on that coil.I've got 2 running 3400s.
Of course it didn't end there.I didn't test the oiler on the newer 3400,so I filled it with oil & checked the manual oiler & all seemed to be working.I was getting the clutch ready to put on & noticed a huge puddle of oil on my workbench.I had to drain the oil out & try to determine where it was leaking from.I knew the oil cap was on tight & it had an O ring.I pulled the inspection plate off & pulled the pump apart.It was a little dirty,but nothing I could see to cause it to leak.I put the pump back together,but noticed the T nut on the discharge port was just a tad bit loose.I tightened that & put oil back in & now have no leaks.I may need a new diaphragm in the oil pump,but that's the least of my concerns.I quit at 5:45 & decided the clutch can wait till tomorrow.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now one of the 3400s is sucking bar oil into the crankcase.I'm gonna end up scrapping it.What a piece of junk.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now one of the 3400s is sucking bar oil into the crankcase.I'm gonna end up scrapping it.What a piece of junk.

One of two things,

The gasket between the oil pump and the crankcase is done or the check valve in the pump is not working.

Actually very good saws and one of the easiest to work on.

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning Poulan and Craftsman guys. I am working on freshening up an early craftsman 2.3 blue paint saw. This unit has the solid metal handle with no channel for the fuel line. Does anyone have tips on replacing the fuel line ? In particular the routing and passing in to the fuel tank? How to seal the passthrough on the fuel tank. I am not really familiar with this saw and am helping out a co worker the saw is a sentimental piece from his dad.

Thanks,

Chris

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning Poulan and Craftsman guys. I am working on freshening up an early craftsman 2.3 blue paint saw. This unit has the solid metal handle with no channel for the fuel line. Does anyone have tips on replacing the fuel line ? In particular the routing and passing in to the fuel tank? How to seal the passthrough on the fuel tank. I am not really familiar with this saw and am helping out a co worker the saw is a sentimental piece from his dad.

Thanks,

Chris

This may be a little late but here is the service manual.

Attachments

• Poulan Micro 25 Service Manual 1977.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 10