heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a few McCulloch's today. Took this one down with one of the SP105's. I was a little disappointed in the performance while cutting it down, but when I went to start it up again to cut up the large stem I noticed the compression release was missing.

IMG_3837.JPG

I used my PM55 for most of the work and was really impressed with the way it runs and cuts. The homeowners Husky 455 Rancher couldn't begin to keep up. I think I ran 3 or 4 tanks of fuel through that one alone. I also tried out the PM6 I put together last fall but have some issues with the auto oiler to get sorted out.

Since the SP105 was laid up with the missing compression release I pulled out one of the SP81's to attack the stem and wow, what that nice. 28" bar buried in the soft maple and it just screamed through.

IMG_3845.JPG

I did use the PM6 on some of the smaller stuff while cleaning up the top but you can't really do that much with a top handle saw. I wanted to run the 1-10 that I'd put together this past week but it still has some carburetor issues. I walked all the way to my house (right across the street) for another compression release and used the
SP105 to take another block off the stump and was thoroughly impressed with that one as well.

IMG_3838.JPG

That's my home, the two story with the black shutters.

IMG_3847.JPG

Mark

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice job Mark, but you didn't let your Macs come in contact with that Husky didja?!

This old MC40 may be about ready to come home this spring. It has been to lots of GTG's with no issues whatsoever, and at the Timberworks it held its own against some piped 3120 Husky's.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No contact with the Husky, it was too far behind all day. Homeowner and his friend asked me to help when they were having trouble putting a new chain on the Husky, the package said 20" Husqvarna but the fine print said .325/80 DL, the saw is set up for 3/8"...good thing they didn't get in put on.

Maybe you could work some magic on one of the 101 saws, I have been avoiding them for projects that are easier to start. If you make it up in April I will send one home with some seed money to see if we can make it work.

Mark

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds good, I owe you a good running kartsaw anyway!

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark, what bar & chain set-up you run today on the PM55 & PM6a? Just curious as run those models myself.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a 16" 3/8" semi chisel on the PM55, the PM6 has a 14" w/1/4" pitch chain. I do like the reach of the 14" bar. The SP81 has a 28" and the SP105 has a 32".

There certainly are fewer trees in the neighborhood than there used to be but we still seem to have plenty of leaves to clean up in the fall.

Mark

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have mostly run 18" 3/8" chisel on PM55 and 12" or 14" 1/4" on PM6A. If ever get my other PM6 (manual oil only, yellow front handle) back together figure to set it up with some of 14" 1/4" I have. Think I got that little guy down to needing just a few things. You are right 14" seems nice on ground reaching into stuff.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started working on a Super Pro 70 today. I knew it needed
a recoil, Found one on the auction site. But now i see i'm
missing the special stud bolt for the coil that one of the recoil
bolts screws into. if it's the same as a Double Eagle 80 it's
part # is 95603. So any of you Mac heads have one i can
buy from you. Paleeeeeze.

TIA

Lee

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks mark, Done and bought.

Lee

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mark, so good to see that you got to give some of your MACs a workout.

Amazing how those big old MACs keep running just like a shot up Navy Grumman. I remember taking my first SP125C to a GTG and having folks tell me that it should run better. It had a round muffler on it. I later found the inner screen was almost completely blocked. I don't know how it ran at all and yet I was able to buck a 4'+ red oak with it in that condition.

Ron

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After I lost the compression release out of the SP105, ran the SP81 into the dirt and stopped the chain with all the mud packed around the clutch, the PM6 auto oiler wouldn't work, and the 1-10 flooding out I thought I was having a typical Ron Woods kind of day...

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a look as these instructions.

I do like to keep one of the original fixed high jet carburetors on the saws I cut wood with, significantly reduced the chance of running one too lean.

Mark

Attachments

• SP125 HS Jet PN 87288.pdf
    723.4 KB · Views: 13

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After I lost the compression release out of the SP105, ran the SP81 into the dirt and stopped the chain with all the mud packed around the clutch, the PM6 auto oiler wouldn't work, and the 1-10 flooding out I thought I was having a typical Ron Woods kind of day...

Mark

Mark,

I resemble that remark.

I just now got a replacement cap from the wood ministry (my original disappeared during my last chainsaw related ER trip). I thought the new cap would make a nice place for the MAC patch you so graciously gave me, but alas I have misplaced it. Other than losing things, lately I have been into bending bars. Put down 50+ trees with a smaller saw of a different make Saturday before bending the tip. That's why I ended up using the PM800.

Mishaps are a part of the adventure.

Ron

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mark's post made me think back to when I had a good MAC day. It was April 9, 2011 to be precise and was memorialized in this AS post:

Good Long MAC Day Today

I had a good day today. It started out with a full day of cutting and hauling firewood with a group of high school student from Boca Raton, Florida. Last week we had snow on the mountains today it was in the 80s so they must have brought some of the Sunshine State with them. I don’t have any pictures of the MACs in action but I used two of the PM800s today – always a lot of fun. The kids loaded 5 loads to best last year’s group by one load. They could have done six but the haul time was too long to get that done. Only had one casualty, one of the girls tried to catch a log and ended up smashing her thumb joint between it another. Fortunately it wasn’t broken but she was in a lot of pain and spent a little while at the ER.

As the last load was being unloaded, I got a call from a friend who asked if I could come coach him through cutting a tree down next to his house. As we had a massive thunderstorm approaching, I ask when he wants to do it. He replies, “Right now!” I ask him why. He says, “I been burning brush and the top of the tree is on fire.” I grabbed a friend who has been driving the trucks all day and we make the 15 minute trip to the house. When we get there I find he and his brother with their families gather to watch. There are two walnut trees with dead tops both with leans the wrong way and now the wind is blowing hard towards the house. I am not that good of a feller and have gotten a little rusty during my laid up period (I fell three small 12 to 18” hickory trees earlier in the day and would be run off this site if I posted the pictures). But my friend was disparate so I agreed to cut them down. Sometimes you’re right but you hate it – I look things over and tell the guy the only way I can cut the trees away from the house is going to be across his barbed wire fence. He says cut them. I then tell him that the first one is going to hit his post. He says cut it. I cut as quickly as I can due to the approaching storm. I tried to miss the post but it took a glancing blow. Next tree is bigger, trunk is larger than my 24” bar and it has two heavy limbs in the wrong places. By now you can see the lightning in the distance. I let him climb the ladder to attach a bull rope as high as he can reach. We tie off to the truck and put a little tension on it to check for soundness. GOD smiled on me as I actually put a nice face cut on it. We increased the tension a little on the rope before starting the back cut. Put two wedges in place, cut to the hinge and put a little more tension on it and she fell squarely on the same fence post. We almost got it cut off the fence when the lightning persuaded us to quit.

Loaded the gear and within one minute it was raining so hard you could hardly see to drive. I got within a mile of home to find a large tree blocking one lane of the state highway. Before I can get to the house to get a rain coat it is hailing with hail the size of quarters. I wait this out and go back. By now the fire department and a private citizen are hard at work cutting and clearing the highway and a side street. I take the old MAC out and go to work. First order of business is cutting the FD’s pinched Stihl loose. Before we’re done I pinch my saw in one of those tricky root ball goes up stem goes down situations. I get my other MAC and proceed to pinch it too. Then it starts to hail again. I can’t let my beloved saws get beat to death so I hover over them until I’m hit in the neck by a golf ball size chunk of ice. Before I can get to the truck it is just raining down ping pong ball to golf ball size hail. The FD loads up and leaves. I eventually get my saws out using my bull rope to jerk on the stem. They fell out one at a time and the stem didn’t hit either as it fell. All ended well. I was soaking wet from not only the rainfall but wading through a foot of water that had flooded the street.

Gents, MAC life is fun. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ron

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good story to repost the "Good Long MAC Day Today". That day may have had 36 hrs in it instead of 24.

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Too bad we haven't located any live MAC engineer to enlighten us to the many cool things they innovated. Ron