MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went through the 10-10S today a bit more.I replaced the fuel line (it definitely needed to be replaced).As soon as I touched it with the pliers it broke apart.I also removed the recoil for a cleaning.There was about a good 1/2 in.of crud caked on it.Surprisingly though the rest of the saw wasn't that bad.I did remove the ignition module for a thorough cleaning of the cooling fins.

I do have a problem with the bar stud not wasnting to stay in place.My neighbor stopped by on his way out with his dog & I went to show him the bar stud & it'd fallen back into the tank again.Is there any way to remedy this without replacing the oil tank?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe Steve has correctly identified it, pancake muffler and compression release only fits the PM55.

Ed - I have used JB Weld to secure a bar stud in a 10 Series oil tank before. If there is a crack in the tank as well, use some window screen and a bit more JB Weld to expand the patch and provide some additional strength.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting I might say .I have a 650 which I assumed to be just a larger displacement engine than a 640 .After looking at this example they are entirely different .I've never seen a 640 anc my 650 is the only one I've ever seen .

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the rings are shot
I was surprised, the rings are in good shape, with how the piston looked I figured that they would be wedged into the slots and dinged up, but they were not. I will give the piston a buff and see how it goes, nothing to lose in trying! I am surprised in how well it has held up. Found a hole in the oil tank but that will be an easy fix with JB weld. I planned on taking it down to metal, fill in scratches and then repaint it. I do have to source some screws, whoever was in it before must have lost a few when putting it back together...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might sound funny but two things I've found on old Macs .The bearings hold up well and so do the piston rings .Due to the fact most of the inpulse oilers usually leak some that night have something to do with it .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jenn Feng McCulloch dressed as a Craftsman. These are interesting saws (to me) but not ones that I would use for a lot of cutting.

20231012_164801.jpg

20231012_164806.jpg

20240325_092420.jpg

I'll give it a good cleaning, try to make it run, then put it up front in the display.

Mark

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand they were also sold under the MTD banner. Jenn Feng & MTD signed a marketing agreement around 2003 to help distribute the Jenn Feng McCulloch products in the U.S.

Mark
I would like the Cub Cadet version if anyone ever comes across one.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks to my good frtiend @vinnywv,the problem I had on my 10-10S with a loose bar stud has been taken care of.I super glued the bar stud in place! I took a file to the paint inside the tank & then cleaned up the area with a cloth soaked in alcohol to remove any oil residue,then applied a generous portion of Loctite super glue & it's in place forever.I have another oil tank that has the area above the bar stud that's been rounded off by an over-zealous previous owner.That oil tank will get the same treatment.