heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Balanced Piston (BP) design. One cylinder (the top one)is firing, the other is a counter balance, sliding intake valve, and acts like a supercharger with the additional volume displacement as the crankshaft rotates.

The Major and Minor diameters of the cam.

20230128_075735.jpg

20230128_075828.jpg

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a cam of that design could be done using a 4 jaw lathe chuck that's been off set .Looks like about 20 thou . I might add in the absence of a broach you can use one fluke of a tap ground to shape using a heavy duty drill press to push it through taking small cuts . I did exactly that reworking a Homelite 8 tooth 1/2" sprocket to use on one of my Mac gear drives .However with this cam the location of that key way is very important .With a sprocket doesn't make any difference .Having said all that one must keep in mind I come up with some wild ideas that most times work and also some paper weights or door stops depending on the size .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might further add I met a guy from Columbus Ohio at "saw fest " who could do it because at the moment my Monarch lathe is on sick list .He showed up with a bunch of Wiseco pistons and mentioned he was reboring saw cylinders using iron liners similar to what I did on the Mac 125 .I can't remember his name or what his shop is called ,Might be David Smith --no relation .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might further add I met a guy from Columbus Ohio at "saw fest " who could do it because at the moment my Monarch lathe is on sick list .He showed up with a bunch of Wiseco pistons and mentioned he was reboring saw cylinders using iron liners similar to what I did on the Mac 125 .I can't remember his name or what his shop is called ,Might be David Smith --no relation .

Are you talking about @DefinitiveDave?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's Dave something I think ??? He gave me some McCulloch parts . I might add he had Big Daves Homelite 650 hot saw .I recognized as soon as I saw it .If memory serves I ran that thing at a GTG years ago . I'm terrible about remembering names . .

Reactions: Lnk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found it and was correct the first time, Dave Smith CCC Racing I think , Columbus Ohio .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have good taste in meters. Had to check to make sure it wasn't mine. Lol
Fluke 87 series 5 is hard to beat for general "grunt work".
Does everything I need it to at work, but I wish I still had my old analog Simpson for the shop.
Much better for testing capacitors(I mean condensors) and the big sweep needle could pick up and show small deviations much better than a digital display can.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Simpson 260 is an old classic of meters . I have one plus an old Triplett at my shop .However they are large and won't fit in your pocket like the Fluke .

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fluke 87 series 5 is hard to beat for general "grunt work".
Does everything I need it to at work, but I wish I still had my old analog Simpson for the shop.
Much better for testing capacitors(I mean condensors) and the big sweep needle could pick up and show small deviations much better than a digital display can.
I have a 260 also, much better to check a throttle position sensor with an analog meter. But then, I also have an old wiggy, as well as a meggar (sp).

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Simpson 260 is an old classic of meters . I have one plus an old Triplett at my shop .However they are large and won't fit in your pocket like the Fluke .
You just need bigger pockets. Much bigger pockets. Lol

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys need to quit messing around with silly meters and get a scope. Lol!
I had an old tube type tektronics (sp) 20mhz. Gave it away as it was a boat anchor. I don't do much that needs one anymore. Will buy a new one if I need it. A spectrum analyzer has always been on my list of wants.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an old tube type tektronics (sp) 20mhz. Gave it away as it was a boat anchor. I don't do much that needs one anymore. Will buy a new one if I need it. A spectrum analyzer has always been on my list of wants.

I've just got a snap on triton d8 and in all reality I use my fluke 88 99% of the time. I'll have to see what old analog meter is in my home box.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've just got a snap on triton d8 and in all reality I use my fluke 88 99% of the time. I'll have to see what old analog meter is in my home box.
The days of finding a 260 at a garage sale for $5 are over I think. I got mine that way when they were still common. Any analog meter will do the
things we ever need one for now. Sweeps are the biggest thing. Checking potentiometers is the only time I don't use the fluke.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not needed a scope since my days when I wore the bell bottom blues and sailed under the seven seas .The technology has changed so drastically from analog vacuum tubes to digital . Fact being in the rare occasion a tube controller comes up I have to review from my books how it works .Use it or lose it .It's still there I just have to wake it up every so often .

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not needed a scope since my days when I wore the bell bottom blues and sailed under the seven seas .The technology has changed so drastically from analog vacuum tubes to digital . Fact being in the rare occasion a tube controller comes up I have to review from my books how it works .Use it or lose it .It's still there I just have to wake it up every so often .
Subs huh? I had a cousin that was a navy nuke tech on subs. I too haven't used much of my tube knowledge in decades. Still have bins of stuff post tubes. Probably need to get rid of most of it. Everything is surface mount now. I might need it someday rings through my head. Lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the shelf on my computer desk I also have a Beckman model 310 which in the day was popular too .I forgot what was so special about them but we had them in the navy also .Unlike the Triplett or Simpson these had a digital display and it dates from the 60's .Not as small as a Fluke nor as large as a Simpson

Last edited:

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the shelf on my computer desk I also have a Beckman which in the day was popular too .I forgot what was so special about them but we had them in the navy also .Unlike the Triplett or Simpson these had a digital display and it dares from the 60's .Not as small as a Fluke nor as large as a Simpson
I don't remember those. Do you have a picture of it. Might jiggle the memories. I tried to look it up, but I don't recognize any.