MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The coil seems to be good, I just cant get it to stop wicking crud up the post and ruining the joint.
Ive cleaned it with brake cleaner etc.
May just keep at that and see what happens.

Ive had some success placing some tag-board over the tab to act as a wick for the crud. Also try using some plumbing solder paste, the newer style made for lead free solder. Last, would be to use a solder with at least 2 or 3 % silver. The silver makes it flow much better.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive had some success placing some tag-board over the tab to act as a wick for the crud. Also try using some plumbing solder paste, the newer style made for lead free solder. Last, would be to use a solder with at least 2 or 3 % silver. The silver makes it flow much better.
Put two pieces of desoldering braid down under the tab for my last attempt.
Crud chose the best path, which WASNT the aforementioned desoldering braid.
Think I'm going to take some advice from the older/wiser group here and "cook" the impurities out at about 200 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven.
I have a good aftermarket high voltage lead that I can use on this coil.
I also have an "EXTREMELY" good support "network" to help me with parts for this beast.
Thanks again to @MedicineMan .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the used coil in today from @MedicineMan
Now have spark.
New fuel filter, put a little mix in the tank, and started pulling.
Popped after about 12 pulls.
Started and ran.
Doesnt idle yet, and there are other issues, but it makes chainsaw noises now!:campeon:
Thanks again D!
This ole gal sounds AMAZING!
0125231832_HDR.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now have spark.
Started and ran.
Doesnt idle yet, and there are other issues, but it makes chainsaw noises now!:campeon:
Thanks again D!
View attachment 362641

Awesome news Brent!!

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now have spark.
Started and ran.
Thanks again D!
View attachment 362641
The sound of sweet Mcculloch music !!

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sound of sweet Mcculloch music !!
And the smell.
Something about the way one smells when it first fires up after a long slumber is just satisfying to me.
All the old oil and mix gets warmed up and burned out of the exhaust.
And the bar oil crud all over it.
I never clean one until ive heard it run, unless its in pieces...

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought I figured out the idling issue.
Idle screw wasnt touching the tang.
Then I realized I had left the high idle plunger engaged.:rolleyes::oops:
May still have it. Low speed screw was only out 1/2 turn.
Set that to about 1 1/4.
I'll see if that made it better after I fix the recoil and check on the clutch.
There are some funny noises coming from both of those.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few days ago my older brother brought his Stihl MS290 over for me to have a look at.I loaned him my PM 10-10 in it's place.He wasn't even home yet when I called him to tell him his saw was running,it just needed a new fuel filter.He just has a "knack" for breaking saws.That night he called me to ask where the adjuster screw is for the chain.I told him where it was & when he brought it back the chain was hanging down about 1 1/2 in.He said the saw had quit running after he'd put about a half tank of fuel through it.For some reason the wire that runs from the chip to the coil likes to come off.I told him,but that'd require taking the recoil off.If I talked him through it he wouldn't be able to do it & he'd end up losing half of the screws anyway.So I got the saw back 2 days later dead as a doornail.He said it was hard to start too.I thought that to be kinda odd,it always started within a couple of pulls.I replaced the chip wire back on the coil & still had no spark.I thought maybe a dead chip?As I looked a bit closer,I found that where the coil wire goes through the recoil (that's the way I run them),it had worn through the insulation on the coil wire & was grounding out.I gave it a couple wraps of electrical tape & it fired up on the first pull.Meanwhile he killed his Stihl saw again.From what I can deduce it's either a bad plug,or the carb needs to be gone through.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20230125_172813.jpg

20230125_172820.jpg

20230125_172838.jpg

If anyone out there has a small lathe with a cam follower, or knows someone that would be willing to make a few small cams I am in need of some extras for the points. I have one piece available to use as a model.

As an alternative, if anyone has a spare handle assembly or two...I have the ignition shafts but need the cams, starter base, and starter pulley in order to get all three in running condition.

Mark

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 362673

View attachment 362674

View attachment 362675

If anyone out there has a small lathe with a cam follower, or knows someone that would be willing to make a few small cams I am in need of some extras for the points. I have one piece available to use as a model.

As an alternative, if anyone has a spare handle assembly or two...I have the ignition shafts but need the cams, starter base, and starter pulley in order to get all three in running condition.

Mark
Nice BP unit Mr Heimann!
Ive alwys wanted one.
Happy as heck to have a " runner" SP 125.
Cant wait to see what you do with this one.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 362673

View attachment 362674

View attachment 362675

Mark

Whats a complete BP 1 weight when all said and done ?
Thats alot of innovation in a small saw!

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First couldnt get the points to open.
Turned out to be a TINY steel shaving bridging the points strap to the adjuster screw clamp.
Still no spark.
Pulled the coil wire. That looks rough, but wasnt open.
Then I noticed the primary terminal on the coil was loose where it was soldered on, so I pried it off.
Now I'm getting 14 ohms across primary to ground terminal, but still not happy with secondary side.
Any ideas?
View attachment 362314 View attachment 362315 View attachment 362317
You have good taste in meters. Had to check to make sure it wasn't mine. Lol

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@davidwybw - thanks for your consideration, here are some photos of the points operating cam but first a little background. Some years ago a member over on AS contacted me about parts for a BP-1 he had. He was missing a number of parts and being a retired machinist thought he would make what he needed, he just had to have some parts to use as a guide. I sent him the rear handle assembly off my saw and he made a starter pulley, the ignition shaft and cam, and several of the linkages/rods for the throttle, oiler, and primer, etc. He even made a primer button. Our agreement was that he would make two of everything and return the duplicates along with my handle when he was done. Of course I've saved those duplicates over the years and hesitate to use them, but I hope they will come in handy as models for the next guy that needs to make some parts.

The cam:

Overall length is about 5/8" , the bit of a step on one end if for proper orientation on the shaft.

20230128_075238.jpg

Better dimentions of the O.D. will follow. You can see that rather than trying to broach a 1/16" keyway he drilled the keyway and this set up will use a 1/16" wire for the key.

20230128_075252.jpg

The O.D. of the ignition shaft/I.D. of the cam is 0.250"

20230128_075341.jpg

The ignition shaft has a 1/16" keyway, this is the one he made, I happened to get some spares in the parts lot from Discount Marine.

20230128_075353.jpg

20230128_075930.jpg

More to come...

Mark

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 362673

View attachment 362674

View attachment 362675

Mark
I know this is probably a stupid question, but is that a two cylinder engine? I see two throws and connecting rods. What model is it and I will look it up. Sorry for the slight derail.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an OEM ignition shaft, the winged driver is plastic and it is not common to find one of the ear broken off. The OEM part use a groove and a retaining ring to locate the cam axially, the one Martin made just used the larger O.D. of the shaft.

20230128_082838.jpg

As you can see, even this OEM part is cracked after 60 years of rattling around in bags.

20230128_082826.jpg

20230128_082844.jpg

The starter pulley and nylon bushing he made.

20230128_082917.jpg

20230128_082928.jpg

Mark