MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since that has been mentioned when I stuck a complete early model 850 assembly inside the 805 shrouding I honestly don't remember what I did .Whatever it was everything works perfectly .I think I had to use the 850 head portion shrouding because the decomp if memory serves came out the head not the side like the 805 .I honestly don't remember what flywheel I used . I did use the 850 muffler though ,better flow . I'll have to look at in the morning kind of dark right now .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that people who haven't been around them refer to them as grandpa's old saw .They have no idea how well a good tuned 700 will run especially if they thought it was an early 1-10 .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that people who haven't been around them refer to them as grandpa's old saw .They have no idea how well a good tuned 700 will run especially if they thought it was an early 1-10 .

Most people aren't gonna know that there's any difference whatsoever. They see an old saw and they think it's an old saw.

I was showing a Mac 125 Kartsaw to my neighbor this weekend. He's a landscaper that is also a certified Arborist. He asked me what it was. I told him
it's an SP-125 that has the 101 kart motor installed in it. He gave me the same blank stare that people give when asked about Vegetarian options at McDonald's.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did that deal a few years ago for both my deceased wifes nephews who live up near Detroit .They were scrounging firewood with their buddies with 029's and Wild things . One I got a cinder block PM 610 and the other a 7-10, blowed all of them out of the water .I had $50 in the 610 and I think around $75 in the 7-10 .Last I heard they are still running .I will have to say that 7-10 had some guts .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since it'll be raining here for the next week,maybe now I can get some saw time in.It pouired here last night,so even if it wasn't raining I most likely couldn't get in the field to cut anyway.
I finally got my order from Bob J.on the way after waiting since Jan./Feb.When I spoke with Bob on Fri.,he tyold me he's probably going to go down to a half day soon.Hell,he's 82,I don't know why he's been selling parts this long.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took my 7-10 out last Fri.& used it for only one cut - the base of the stump which was 22 in.across.That inspired me to get my PM700 out of mothballs.I have no idea why I quit running it.It's got a 20 in.Windsor bar & an Oregon chain on it.I sharpened the chain Sat.a.m.& took it out to cut some cherry.That saw ate through that cherry like a hot knife through butter.I love the crackle it has too,awesome!

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got to thinking about that sleeper 1-10 .I can't imagine the look of surprise when it hits the wood .:applaudit:
LOL!
I get that look even when I use the 1010S. Yeah its noisy, but its chucking chips too.
10 series arent like a lot of "old" saws.
They get some work done, and sound good doing it.
A 700 engine in a 1-10 casing would only be badazz to those that knew what a 1-10 was SUPPOSED to do.:)

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most people aren't gonna know that there's any difference whatsoever. They see an old saw and they think it's an old saw.

I was showing a Mac 125 Kartsaw to my neighbor this weekend. He's a landscaper that is also a certified Arborist. He asked me what it was. I told him
it's an SP-125 that has the 101 kart motor installed in it. He gave me the same blank stare that people give when asked about Vegetarian options at McDonald's.
But did you let him run it?
I imagine he wouldve understood if he felt that beast yank him into the wood.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took my 7-10 out last Fri.& used it for only one cut - the base of the stump which was 22 in.across.That inspired me to get my PM700 out of mothballs.I have no idea why I quit running it.It's got a 20 in.Windsor bar & an Oregon chain on it.I sharpened the chain Sat.a.m.& took it out to cut some cherry.That saw ate through that cherry like a hot knife through butter.I love the crackle it has too,awesome!
Ive got a very low hour PM700 that I'm running a 28" Mac bar and Stihl full comp full chisel chain on.
It has the grunt to pull that chain with authority. Very hard to bog it down even if you try.
I ALMOST got the box out that the 7-10A has been patiently waiting in yesterday, but decided to start on a 268 orange saw for my nephew instead.
He needs a decent saw for tree cleanup, and I'm not worried too much if something happened to that one.:D
That 7-10A is like a gasser hotrod. The PM700 is like a turbo diesel truck.
0416221837_HDR.jpg
PM700 is in the middle. 125 was taken just for show and tell(still no spark), and dont worry about the Swedish foreign exange student.;)
Its a little 350 that ISNT actually a 350:cool:.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where's sll the vids of these beasts cutting wood???

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the deal with no spark on the 125?I'd address that issue in a hurry.I should talk,it took me over 2 yrs.to get mine running,Lol.
Dunno.
I cleaned and set the points. Thats usually all it takes.
Any more than that, and I have to get out the Fluke 87V and "diagnose".
I'm thinking it may actually be a coil issue. The primary post is loose and "wiggly". Could also be a condenser.
These ARENT a 10 series, so I'm kinda lost.
I see what they did, just think it's asking for a problem to run the points and condenser leads under that crush ring. I'll figure all that out as soon as I get some time.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nah, he could care less. If he can't hook it to his belt, he ain't interested.
He most certainly could.
Ive seen it done.
Just a question if he's really man enough to do it.;)
Maybe you should break him in slowly.
Start with a PM6A with a 3/8 LP conversion...:D

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless I'm mistaken the 125C uses the same coil as a 10 series . It's the smaller coil not the larger like used on a 250 .Actually I've never seen those go bad but of course anything is possible .Usually with a points ignition no matter if it's a mag or a battery the problem is on the low voltage side ,the points and condenser .
Old trick when burnishing the points is to use a piece of paper to swipe between the contacts after they are shined up .It doesn't take much for a tiny piece of grit to stop them from closing .So small you can't even see it .If memory serves they set at 18 thou which should get you 26 degree advance .You could raise or lower that by a few degrees by where you set them but on a 125 I wouldn't go real wild because if that one kicks back it could pull your arm off .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little blurb with a story about a 700 Mac .I think I was 62 years old at the time or about 12 years ago .Two giant dead ash trees ,big old fat azzes I had already put on the ground .6 cords bucked mostly all moved but not split in one day .Using a 700 Mac and a Stihl 038 Mag modified in 94 degree August heat .The Mac would over heat and needed a cool off after it was gassed but the Stihl didn't .I wore out my helper who 20 years younger than myself too . As I sat on my patio after wards under an umbrella out of the sun drinking a few barley pops he was inside in the air conditioning .He said to my wife (RIP ) "I can't believe that old man out worked me " she said he's been at it a lot longer than you .:applaudit:

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The coil on the SP125 is similar in size and layout to the 10 Series version but the mount is different.

7-10

20210313_094603.jpg

SP125

McCulloch SP125 coil ignition 1.JPG

I think the coil itself is rotated 180 degrees between the two models.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might remention one of my 125's that came from the tall timber country in northern California and probably at one time was an old growth cutter .I found it on E-bay and nobody knew what it was ,just an old Mac and I got it cheap with a 30 second snipe bid .Somebody had changed it over to an Atom arc . Most likely the easiest thing to do at the time .They had it glued on with something that constantly fell of .When it no longer worked I pulled the flywheel and low and behold there it was .The complete points assembly with nothing wrong with it and that's how it runs now . More than likely they didn't know how to get the flywheel off
would be my guess . .