MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems that we saw enthusiasts have our problems medically.Mark,I've been there with the tendon release albeit not in my thumb.The recovery is generally pretty quick.I was lucky & didn't need to go to P.T.

On another note,I found out Wed.after hounding my doc for 2 yrs.about still having relentless back pain after my last surgery 2 1/2 yrs.ago that I'll need yet another surgery to take out the broken screw & put in all new hardware.I went through pure hell last time & it cost me a mini fortune.Looking forward to a lovely summer.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tim - Yes indeed, trigger finger (or thumb in my case). It was just a curiosity for a while but it got to the point where I was wincing just to bend or straighten my thumb. I am currently in need of a "right hand man" if anyone has a lot of spare time in the next two weeks.

Apologies to Vinny but the answer to Scott's question is no, SP81 is points and 850 is electronic so no points lobe on the 850 crankshaft. If you need a good used SP81 crankshaft I can help.

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well gang,I went out cutting on the red oak that my son & I dropped yesterday.We got the limbing done yesterday along with a small maple & what looked like a poplar.I use a John Deere 140 lawn & garden tractor for my wood hauling on a converted pop up camper turned into a trailer.I'm not afraid to load the trailer up to 2 ton,& that little Deere hauls it! I thought the load was heavy yesterday,but it was nothing in comparison to today's load.I had the main trunk of the tree & a small ash & cherry to boot.I had just enough room on the trailer for all of it.That little J.D.worked it tail off pulling that load home.It was uphill all the way.The hydrostatic transmission came in real handy! My next door neighbor,a retiored farmer who's 87 helps me out & when I told him yesterday that I'd need yet another back surgery,I think he was a bit concerned about me.He came down with his pick up truck to check on me just as I was heading home.He saw that I was having probl;ems with having a heavy load,so he said to fol;low him & if I ran into anymore problems he'd hook a chain on the tractor & tow me.He couldn't believe how that J.D.pulled the load out of the field & made it onto the roadway (neither could I).The base of that red oak was 22 in.

thumbnail.jpg

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last night I got my PM700 out of mothballs.The last time I ran it was 2-3 yrs.ago.I fueled it up & pulled & pulled & got nothing.It'd fire on a prime,but wouldn't pull fuel from the tank.Finally I took the throttle lock off & within a few pulls it fired right up.I shut the saw off & restarted it with the throttle lock on & it worked just fine.It was just the initial start up.
Something else I noticed - the DSP isn't working & it's not hard to pull it over.I'll have to do a compression test & see what it's got.I can't complain too much about the saw,I picked it up almost 3 yrs.ago on Feebay for $45.It didn't have spark,but that was quickly remedied,& the carb settings were totally off.The needles were both closed tight.A new fuel filter,re-setting of the needles,& trimming the ignition module wire & the saw was running like a champ.It even came with a Windsor 20 in.bar & Oregon chain.The only thing missing was the chain brake & I had one here that fit right on.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had some visitors this weekend, sort of a mini GTG with no wood being cut, just sonic racing...

Some of you may have heard about Bobby Framke, he doesn't post on the forums but is active on some Facebook groups. Bobby and friends came to tour the museum, do some shopping in the attic, a little saw repair, and if we had time clean up a few saws to move to the museum. Just so you know...no saw were moved...

Here is Bobby Framke, Shane (sorry bud), Bob Fredette, Greg Mader, and Geoff Framke with Bob's freshly restored SP125. A few parts for this project came from my store.

20220429_145822.jpg

Bobby also brought his customized PM800, and the sleeper 1-10 with a PM700 powerplant under the covers.

20220429_150518.jpg

20220429_150556.jpg

20220429_145641.jpg

20220429_145656.jpg

We spent a lot of time getting a PM10-10S going for Bob F and Bobby took home a trunk load of parts. Mrs. Heimann provided a nice lunch of pulled pork and accessories, overall a really nice way to spend a weekend if I couldn't get my hand dirty.

Mark

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple rarer McCullochs found their way to my chainsaw refuge.
A model 49 ser 918
A confused model 73 which is identifying as a 77
I had a pic of the top covers to work with when i made the deal.It wasn't till i took the pic to see 73 on the grip.
Got 3 bars with the McCulloch engraving with chains
Both turn over but are missing a few recoil parts.
mac 49b.jpg mac 49d.jpg mac 77.jpg mac 77 73.jpg mac bars.jpg
Packaging was well done.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple rarer McCullochs found their way to my chainsaw refuge.
A model 49 ser 918
A confused model 73 which is identifying as a 77
I had a pic of the top covers to work with when i made the deal.It wasn't till i took the pic to see 73 on the grip.
Got 3 bars with the McCulloch engraving with chains
Both turn over but are missing a few recoil parts.
View attachment 335215 View attachment 335216 View attachment 335217 View attachment 335218 View attachment 335219
Packaging was well done.

That 49 is a super rare unit. Great score!

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congratulations on the 49. The 73 is a Frankensaw, either the fuel tank has been replaced with a 77, or the handle has been replaced with a 73. The 73 would have an air filter arrangement like the 4-30/47 saws while the 77 has the large "square" filter and cover as seen in your photos.

Mark Heimann

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over on the Homelite forum I belong to,there was an ongoing "82cc Challenge".Not too surprising that the SP81 walked away with the honors & pretty much blew the competition away.

I tried something like that in some 30" ash. We had a 5400, 850, 044 (5 cube), and p50. The p50 sounded great but threw its stater bolts out, so it never saw wood. The 5200 seemed the strongest barely. The 850 was everyone's favorite as it balanced best, was the smoothest, and had the Mac cackle. I thought the 045 would embarese itself, but it didn't. It pulled well and was comfortable. All three saws were so close in performance that I feel anyone would be very happy with any of them.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the 81's as far as I know the rod is all the same the pistons fall into grades of A-B-C .When I originally used an 850 cylinder on a 805 either the flywheel sat out to far because I had to shim out the coil just fuzz to get the magnets in the center of the laminations . That one I straight gassed ,duh .I've never seen if a solid state coil could replace a points coil regarding how it bolts on .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had some visitors this weekend, sort of a mini GTG with no wood being cut, just sonic racing...

Some of you may have heard about Bobby Framke, he doesn't post on the forums but is active on some Facebook groups. Bobby and friends came to tour the museum, do some shopping in the attic, a little saw repair, and if we had time clean up a few saws to move to the museum. Just so you know...no saw were moved...

Here is Bobby Framke, Shane (sorry bud), Bob Fredette, Greg Mader, and Geoff Framke with Bob's freshly restored SP125. A few parts for this project came from my store.

View attachment 335153

Bobby also brought his customized PM800, and the sleeper 1-10 with a PM700 powerplant under the covers.

View attachment 335155

View attachment 335156

View attachment 335157

View attachment 335158

We spent a lot of time getting a PM10-10S going for Bob F and Bobby took home a trunk load of parts. Mrs. Heimann provided a nice lunch of pulled pork and accessories, overall a really nice way to spend a weekend if I couldn't get my hand dirty.

Mark
Well now youve done it.
Just so happens I have both a 1-10 and enough PM700 parts to make that happen.
Well, mostly. I still need a few RHS parts.:)
Looks like you fellas had a fun weekend.
Nice to see some old Macs painted up and restored to their prime condition, even if some arent "factory original".

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 800's (805, DE80, etc.) have a shorter crankshaft on the FW side to allow for the taller 18 fin flywheels. The starter shaft is longer on those are longer to reach the starter pawls in the deeper flywheels.

There were a few "crossover" cylinders made during the period when McCulloch was switching from points to electronic ignition so you may find some 10-10, 70 cc, and SP81/81E cylinders that would accommodate either coil. Other than that they were strictly either one or the other only.

Points only
632941.jpg

Either points or electronic
665601.jpg

Electronic only
DSC07153.JPG

Mark