MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeep CJ 5 I think it's 1965 .It was the last one my dad built up from the parts from two or three .He retired at 59 and did about a dozen old Jeeps in about 20 years .This one was finished when he was over 80 . I've got nearly enough parts in my shop to build another one but I doubt I will .That steel top is an after market made in Texas .When we hauled those old Jeeps to Colorado to hunt deer the tops stayed at home . This Jeep never made that trip .That blade has been on several Jeeps and has hydraulic lift from a unit that uses a starter motor ,it's manual angle .With that heavy blade and no power steering it's kind of a job to steer it .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well here ya go. My pm850 iron liner sleeved saw. First cuts. It started very well for cold. But it is 50 degrees today. It ran rich but ill change that as time goes on. I was pretty happy with it cutting.

Wow! Super rich for sure. But gotta seat that fresh bore! Excited to see how it wakes up after a few tanks! Good job to both you and your machinist friend!

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah,like Steve said,I can't wait to see it in action after a few tanks go through it.Very impressive thus far!

I hate to follow Vinny's post with one about one of my measly 10-10s,but I'll try.I had worked on this 10-10 back in the fall & had to stop due to neck surgery.During the winter I put a new fuel tank gasket in it & thought I was good to go.I slowly put fuel in the tank & it got to a certain level & all the fuel leaked out.Normally about 4-5 wraps with Teflon tape will snug up the fuel line & stop it from leaking,not this one,I had to wrap it about 10 times.I think it was an over-sized hole for that fuel line.Once again I poured the fuel in slowly & once again it hit a certain point & it all leaked out.I pulled the tank cover off & put another one on from the 3427-800 that I bought in Oct.(that's what the ditz from Vt.had it advertised as).I tightened it down good & added fuel & had no leaks! I had to pull it over quite a few times (about 20) because it hadn't been run since last Oct.Once it popped the next pull it was running,but there's something going on with the chain.It's binding,yet the chain is loose.I think it came off the rim & is wedged betwween the rim & the drivecase.I didn't really like that chain to begin with.How many drivers on a 16 in.bar,56 or 60?

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
60 DL for 3/8 pitch. Many 10 Series saws came with .354 pitch chain so make sure the sprocket and chain match. There were even a few .354 sprocket nose tips out there so you have to watch out for both ends. .354 loops were 61 DL for a 16" bar.

Mark

Tugg

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple older Mcculloch chainsaws. The model numbers plates and stickers are gone. Is there anyway based on part numbers or something else to tell what saws they are? I suppose a couple of pictures would go along way. Thanks

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple older Mcculloch chainsaws. The model numbers plates and stickers are gone. Is there anyway based on part numbers or something else to tell what saws they are? I suppose a couple of pictures would go along way. Thanks

Yup, pics would be the most helpful and then we can go from there.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If those old Macs are the larger reed valve models it will be stamped on the underside on the stuffer .

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys think would be a good Mcculloch to buy and build if a guy has never owned or worked on a Mac? A 10-10?

I've recently built a 1983 husky 61 and I just finished up a 1978 john deere 60v. That old john deere was surprisingly fun and it has me looking at macs now.

Thanks!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like the old dome filter 10-10 mac they are just about the perfect saw for all around users.
If you want to be "impressed" by a McCulloch the model S 10-10 and a PM700 is the answer for snap and power,they out class alot of saws at the time.
I've only ran one 7-10 and it was VERY strong so there's that also.
A little bit rare to find but I use my Pro Mac 60 quite a bit for fire wood duty with a 24" bar or a 20" with an 8 pin sprocket.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like the old dome filter 10-10 mac they are just about the perfect saw for all around users.
If you want to be "impressed" by a McCulloch the model S 10-10 and a PM700 is the answer for snap and power,they out class alot of saws at the time.
I've only ran one 7-10 and it was VERY strong so there's that also.
A little bit rare to find but I use my Pro Mac 60 quite a bit for fire wood duty with a 24" bar or a 20" with an 8 pin sprocket.

The PM60 is my favorite 10 series hands down. Lightning throttle response and killer with a 20" bar. That combination will make anybody have a permanent obsession with McCulloch!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My favorite of the 10 series is an 850 .My fastest over cants is 6-10 that will run heads up with a 372 Husqvarna but that saw is a one of a kind .
Of the reed valves I like the 87 cc engines .