The pro-Mac 61 is a strong runner but oil pump is a problem on those

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got somewhere around 10 cords of oak lying in lengths that need cut to size,split and stacked .It will give me the chance to exercise some of my McCullochs that don't otherwise get used that much . They do a little better if they get ran periodically which is sometimes hard to do .
What I will find is the white oak will be in good shape but probably half the red oak will end up on my slash fire because it degrades if not split in a timely manner .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems that the cinder blocks are starting to attract a real following. People are fixing them up to sell and getting decent money for them, like original new price. It's the only 80's-90's saw I havent seen in a pawn shop for a long time either, which is really surprising given how many were sold and the hardscrabble clientele who bought them.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got somewhere around 10 cords of oak lying in lengths that need cut to size,split and stacked .It will give me the chance to exercise some of my McCullochs that don't otherwise get used that much . They do a little better if they get ran periodically which is sometimes hard to do .
What I will find is the white oak will be in good shape but probably half the red oak will end up on my slash fire because it degrades if not split in a timely manner .

Probably the main thing that keeps my collection in check is the fact that I really don't exercise my current fleet as much as I should. We need to come up with cryopreservation for saws!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About the only problem I've had on my personal PM 610 has been the bolts vibrating loose. Plus it was a learning curve to periodically blow the crud out from under the cylinder which blocked the air flow over the ignition modual that made it malfuction if it were shut off hot .Rebuilt the carb one time since the 80's .Starts on 4 or 5 even after sitting a couple of years .A shelf queen just awaiting the call to arms .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I assume it was still under McCulloch ownership .I think it was around 1998 that the real McCulloch circled the drain .As far as the PM 610 many sell for less than 75 bucks ..There was a guy"Just David" on flea bay that tried to hype them up with sales talk and get them to fetch $400 but I'm not so certain how successful he was .They originally sold for Around $225 but later K Mart had them for $169. I bought 4 for others one year off flea bay and the most I think I paid 65 bucks .
I am storing the 610 I got for my son which also looks like a new one that had a bad coil .It was 30 bucks and I had 25 in a brand new coil at the time .So 55 bucks plus maybe 15 for shipping

A very good friend of mine moved north when he retired. He is a very good mechanic and diagnostic man. The locals bring him their non working stuff for him to fix.

A kid showed up with a 610 (I think) with no spark.
The saw shop he took it to said they couldn't get parts for it but he should definitely try to get it repaired as a saw that heavy must be a really good one.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bob Johnson reckons his supply of ignitions for the 600 Series is currently below 2,000 units but there should be one available if you call...

Mark

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Apparently the young fellow never came back so the destiny of that saw is unknown at present.

Something to keep in mind though. I will back north in a couple of weeks so I will have a better look at it.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one arrived on Friday, all I did was pull a bar off the attic rack and install it, thought it looked better than the "county line" bar that came with it. I think the only 600 Series missing from the line up now is the mysterious 645...I have seen it listed in an IPL but without a model number attached as though they were not really ready for production.

20180812_193614.jpg
20180812_193628.jpg
20180812_193644.jpg
20180812_193753.jpg
I will likely take this one apart far enough to give it a good cleaning, replace the fuel line & filter and anything else that is question
Mark

Attachments

• 645.pdf
    803.3 KB · Views: 5

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Silver Eagle, I remember those. Weren't those just a rebrand of existing models in a last ditch effort to drum up some sales?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would also look pretty cool with one of the gray Mac bars with the black lettering.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty certain the 610 style coil was used on other models .The bad coil on the one I bought for my son was only one I've came across .
I'd well imagine the young man just found a repair shop that didn't know beans from apple butter about repairing one so they just dismissed the idea .Every now and again I get one like that but for some miracle I'm always successful .Luck of the Irish maybe but I'm not Irish .

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quick question, Are all mini mac bars the same mount? I see a bunch of 10-14" mcculloch bars on ebay but they don't say what mount? I got a 110 today and I'm pretty sure it came with a 10" but haven't measured yet. Can a mac 110 pull a 14" bar? Thanks

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Silver Eagle models were just "special editions" of other McCulloch models. There were SE models based on the Mini Mac, 3200, and 600 Series saws. The were concurrent with the other models being released.

I will also try the 3720 with a grey bar, the 3420 that I have has a nice brushed Total bar that Joey Taylor put on it, that one looks pretty nice too.

DSC014161.jpg

The 600 Series coils also work on the 10 Series electronic ignition saws but you have to shorten the spark plug wire. I am not aware of any other saws, trimmers, or blowers that will accept the same coil as the 600/10 Series saws.

All of the Mini Mac and Power Mac 6 saws use the same bars. There were 14 and even 16" bars available for the Mini Mac/Power Mac 6 saws but they were more for reach than for cutting large diameter logs. Due to the shape and location of the rear handle it is not really practical to cut logs over 12" diameter with a Mini Mac since you can't really make use of the "spike" to help lever it through the log. They are nice for trimming up small diameter limbs but I don't like cutting much over 6-8" with a Mini Mac, Power Mac 6, or even the 300 Series saws

The Mini Mac 165 (I think there was a 155 as well) did have an extended rear handle for better leverage but they still didn't have a decent spike available.

Mark

Last edited:

joeymt33

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Silver Eagle models were just "special editions" of other McCulloch models. There were SE models based on the Mini Mac, 3200, and 600 Series saws. The were concurrent with the other models being released.

I will also try the 3720 with a grey bar, the 3420 that I have has a nice brushed Total bar that Joey Taylor put on it, that one looks pretty nice too.

View attachment 137120

The 600 Series coils also work on the 10 Series electronic ignition saws but you have to shorten the spark plug wire. I am not aware of any other saws, trimmers, or blowers that will accept the same coil as the 600/10 Series saws.

All of the Mini Mac and Power Mac 6 saws use the same bars. There were 14 and even 16" bars available for the Mini Mac/Power Mac 6 saws but they were more for reach than for cutting large diameter logs. Due to the shape and location of the rear handle it is not really practical to cut logs over 12" diameter with a Mini Mac since you can't really make use of the "spike" to help lever it through the log. They are nice for trimming up small diameter limbs but I don't like cutting much over 6-8" with a Mini Mac, Power Mac 6, over even the 300 Series saws

The Mini Mac 165 (I think there was a 155 as well) did have an extended rear handle for better leverage but they still didn't have a decent spike available.

Mark

Cool mark, I haven’t seen that saw in a while. That Total bar was nice.