Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 382530View attachment 382531
More Garlicky goodness. Anybody thinking about putting some in should go for it, takes a little figuring out but it’s relatively low input compared to strawberries or cukes or other delicate plants
I am going to put some in the fall, if that is correct for zone 7. Any tips for growing or planting?

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to put some in the fall, if that is correct for zone 7. Any tips for growing or planting?
We have good luck with planting the purple hardneck variety in mid October, spaced about 6 inches apart on raised black plastic mulch beds. If you don’t want to mess with plastic or a black weed barrier then I would recommend trying to raise your growing beds up to help with drainage. Weed management is important They like a little fertilizer in the fall and more in spring but you should stop feeding and watering them a week before harvest.

With this rain and humidity we’re just getting it done but you want to keep them them dry and in a dark place with the air moving once you pull em. Slow drying is the goal. Oh and I’m all about the hardneck garlic over softneck so if you’re looking in your seed catalog I’d point you in that direction

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have good luck with planting the purple hardneck variety in mid October, spaced about 6 inches apart on raised black plastic mulch beds. If you don’t want to mess with plastic or a black weed barrier then I would recommend trying to raise your growing beds up to help with drainage. Weed management is important They like a little fertilizer in the fall and more in spring but you should stop feeding and watering them a week before harvest.

With this rain and humidity we’re just getting it done but you want to keep them them dry and in a dark place with the air moving once you pull em. Slow drying is the goal. Oh and I’m all about the hardneck garlic over softneck so if you’re looking in your seed catalog I’d point you in that direction
Thank you Karrl, that is very informative. I am going to try it this fall after reading about where most of the garlic sold comes from and how it is produced. Now i won't eat garlic unless I take it out of the clove.

Last edited:

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In town here is Hoobers. I hate them. They charged us 10000$ yes ten to fix a hydraulic leak. In no way shape or form do the hours add up for labor. Bunch of crooks. I’d rather pay the ride for the old girl up to a “little guy” fixing up old tractors.

If combine breaks down in field I’ll deal with local but there’s just no honest big work mechanics local these days.
We are lucky. We have a little guy 2mi away and he’s a damn good mechanic. I’d you pay cash he nocks some off of labor 👍

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Garlic Harvest 2023, halfway done and we’re already running out of drying area. This wet weather is sub optimal so we’ll have to move these again and separate em a bit. 2/3 weeks and we’ll be all cured.
View attachment 382515View attachment 382516
It’s almost too ready but I’ve only found a few split bulbs here and there so we’re just in time. We chopped some tops off to cut back on the moisture and help them dry.
How much you charge to send some to iowa?

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First cutting of squares is in the barn. Not sure how many yet, too tired to count. Racing the rain to get it in. Damn thunderstorms. Last trailer load is sitting inside.. will unload when I am ready. Which means not today. Glad I am only doing half at a time. Staggering was a great idea. I can still move a little. Lol

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you Karrl, that is very informative. I am going to try it this fall after reading about where most of the garlic sold comes from and how it is produced. Nowmi won't eat garlic unless I take it out of the clove.
Cut the top off then lay on a cookie sheet and drizzle olive oil over top of them and bake in oven at 350 until soft then spread on toast like butter. Goodness me

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag