The Official Farming Thread...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To rephrase. I will have tractor fixed. Just not sure what’s gotta happen. I know they have to be broken in half for clutch. I don’t have the tools for heavy work so someone is gonna fix. I use that tractor too much Replacements cost too much right now. So might send her up to PA That antique tractor restoration fella made me like him. I’m gonna call him. I got a guy who can haul it up there. See what I can do here

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To rephrase. I will have tractor fixed. Just not sure what’s gotta happen. I know they have to be broken in half for clutch. I don’t have the tools for heavy work so someone is gonna fix. I use that tractor too much Replacements cost too much right now. So might send her up to PA That antique tractor restoration fella made me like him. I’m gonna call him. I got a guy who can haul it up there. See what I can do here
I have had my 2640 split twice. If it ever needs it again....I'm gonna do it.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They got some knowledgeable people out there and they’re not bad on labor. But I’m hoping you can get it straightened out in town.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clutch is gone and engine needs new liners there good tractors the 1st ones over here to have synchro
in all gears
I was in SW Ireland last year and saw only a handful tractors from the 90s and earlier. Is that an Ireland thing or is the UK and the rest of Europe running new equipment too? I know you’re not in Ireland but I’m always interested in seeing how different parts of the US and the World farm.

Out here it’s rare to see a farm with all new tractors. We’re hill country/meadows with avg 50-150acre farms around here so it’s probably 80% older tractors with some new stuff mixed in.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had my 2640 split twice. If it ever needs it again....I'm gonna do it.
Absolutely. Old iron boss. Hard to beat them.

Newer stuff is. Well like the old saying

Don’t make em like they used to

I will guess that Ol girl has 15000 hours. Maybe more. Or her first clutch but certainly will get another. She’s been in half 3-4-5 times. Just been used a lot

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They got some knowledgeable people out there and they’re not bad on labor. But I’m hoping you can get it straightened out in town.
In town here is Hoobers. I hate them. They charged us 10000$ yes ten to fix a hydraulic leak. In no way shape or form do the hours add up for labor. Bunch of crooks. I’d rather pay the ride for the old girl up to a “little guy” fixing up old tractors.

If combine breaks down in field I’ll deal with local but there’s just no honest big work mechanics local these days.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was in SW Ireland last year and saw only a handful tractors from the 90s and earlier. Is that an Ireland thing or is the UK and the rest of Europe running new equipment too? I know you’re not in Ireland but I’m always interested in seeing how different parts of the US and the World farm.

Out here it’s rare to see a farm with all new tractors. We’re hill country/meadows with avg 50-150acre farms around here so it’s probably 80% older tractors with some new stuff mixed in.

there are quite a few older tractors out and about in republic of ireland I’ve attached a graph of tractors registered
with the Irish Driver vehicle Licencing association

C7B17203-CA30-4312-8459-42CD26C7420A.jpegB7C913E3-4E67-42E2-8178-7F1942262229.jpeg

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Garlic Harvest 2023, halfway done and we’re already running out of drying area. This wet weather is sub optimal so we’ll have to move these again and separate em a bit. 2/3 weeks and we’ll be all cured.
DD212BD0-688D-49FC-B9D5-9968A5D96DBE.jpegF12A11A9-7603-45D2-B244-73EDFB84BD75.jpeg
It’s almost too ready but I’ve only found a few split bulbs here and there so we’re just in time. We chopped some tops off to cut back on the moisture and help them dry.