The Official Farming Thread...

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the neighbors plant 25 acres of feed corn in one of my lower fields in order for them to kill the weeds and re-seed. They get free land to plant corn, and I get a newly seeded field. I already have too much farmland to keep up with!
If we have a hay field get too weedy we’ll put corn in for a couple of years to knock it back. Definitely helps with a fresh start.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I like to think I'm a micro framer. Usually end up with 15-20 tomato plants , peppers of different varieties, garlic, onions, berries(red and black rasp, strawberries), rhubarb, apples, asparagus and spices.
This is one of the garden plots that was worked on today.
20230601_150231.jpg
I still have room for a couple more medium peppers, but we'll see.
And the long narrow patch on the side is radishes.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to think I'm a micro framer. Usually end up with 15-20 tomato plants , peppers of different varieties, garlic, onions, berries(red and black rasp, strawberries), rhubarb, apples, asparagus and spices.
This is one of the garden plots that was worked on today.
View attachment 380064
I still have room for a couple more medium peppers, but we'll see.
And the long narrow patch on the side is radishes.
Nice backyard setup. You do any canning? 15-20 tomato plants can make a good amount of sauce.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@karrll
Nice backyard setup. You do any canning? 15-20 tomato plants can make a good amount of sauce.
I switched from canning to vacuum seal about 6 years ago and haven't regretted it yet. I've improved my process such that even tomatoes that are skinned by pulling the sharp side of a knife across, last as close to fresh for 3 years. However nearly everything from one year to the next has been consumed b4 it get to a second year of freezer duty, by the time the new harvest starts.

So, Yes I do long term storage, but I 've removed the extra cooking/processing stages needed for typical canning. We think the flavors remain way closer to fresh with the vac seal/freeze. We also add a second layer of product protection to the vac sealed bag by placing in a freezer storage zip loc, and remove as much air as possible from the zip loc.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I forgot to add this root to the grow list.
20230601_212420.jpg
I've been working to get the final process/grind to the point it takes your breath away and clears you sinuses with the smallest of portions. I'm close but have have had better than I am preparing. Oh well, maybe next time.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got Dad’s baler cleaned up pretty well before hauling it back to his place. Sure would be nice to have one like this, but they are out of my league.View attachment 380173
Out of mine too. I bake 100-150 bales a year to play with a dozen beef cows. I have never sold a bale of hay. Gave the neighbor 10 earlier this year. He ran short.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s everyone’s preference for raking hay. I’d love to try something other than the tandem roll bar rake we have. It’s great when it works but ours are always wearing out ujoints on the drive axle and bearings on the bars. Has anyone switched from a roll bar rake to something easier to maintain? We grease ours every day but these new bearings don’t seal or last like the old ones

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s everyone’s preference for raking hay. I’d love to try something other than the tandem roll bar rake we have. It’s great when it works but ours are always wearing out ujoints on the drive axle and bearings on the bars. Has anyone switched from a roll bar rake to something easier to maintain? We grease ours every day but these new bearings don’t seal or last like the old ones
IMG_20220617_195503(1).jpg
Hydraulic driven and really haven't had to do much to it. Teeth of course and an occasional hose. Not a cheap option but once I pull the pins I can go between fields without getting out of the seat. Ran an 8 wheel H&S bi-fold before this and this is a world of difference.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here Jake, we do about 200 at the most in a given year and sell maybe 50. The old Hesston is good enough and has paid for itself many times over. Not our actual baler but the same model. View attachment 380180
I have that same baler.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a Kuhn speed rake. Damn fine tool.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here Jake, we do about 200 at the most in a given year and sell maybe 50. The old Hesston is good enough and has paid for itself many times over. Not our actual baler but the same model. View attachment 380180
I’d be happy to have one. Growing up I ran a Vermeer 504G…really liked that machine, but I like the Hesston balers too.