The Official Farming Thread...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You garlic growin fellas. What’s the name of the bulbs you use. I wanna get some to try this fall but I don’t really know what I need or a source. Just trying to put them in the yard for a garden

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look for a hardneck variety if you’re buying online, if you have any hippy farmers or old people with a good garden around they’ll probably have some good stuff that’s perfect for your climate. I’ll get a picture shortly to show the difference between what we got from our neighbor and what we got from our distributor.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0EB19C6C-EF84-4837-B599-14EE5FA9A033.jpegD060364E-3335-4C31-8C57-7644FFA94BF8.jpeg
So now that I’m looking at it more I thinking that timing on the planting is really important too. The bigger rows were planted two weeks earlier in mid October and they’re much better established than the smaller stalks. Small stalks are from parts unknown and larger stalks are from the neighbor. So I still think it’s genetics but also the timing, I’m in zone 6a if that’s helpful.

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 379479View attachment 379478
So now that I’m looking at it more I thinking that timing on the planting is really important too. The bigger rows were planted two weeks earlier in mid October and they’re much better established than the smaller stalks. Small stalks are from parts unknown and larger stalks are from the neighbor. So I still think it’s genetics but also the timing, I’m in zone 6a if that’s helpful.
I planted both hardneck and softneck in October. But only 48 cloves. The hardnecks came up first and are outgrowing the softnecks.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are both purple hardneck but the smaller stalks started as smaller bulbs and were planted later. The first year we grew garlic we did hard and softneck but we’ve always had better results with the hardneck.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I planted Chesnok Red a hardneck last fall. I don't have that many to just pull to see what they look like as they still seem to be getting bigger, at least larger stalks/stems and they are very dark green yet.

Another variety I'd like to try is Music (will try to locate for this fall). It is suppose to grow well in my zone just north of Minneapolis, claimed to be easy to grow, large, all purpose, strong flavored garlic.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
No scapes here yet either.
What's the tell for garlic being done growing for the season. Scapes develop and then the stocks going yellow? OR?

Last edited:

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No scapes here yet either.
What's the tell for garlic being done growing for the season. Scapes develop and then the stocks going yellow? OR?
I'm only an expert garlic eater - not grower. I cut the scapes off as soon as I can, which apparently puts more energy into growing the cloves. I harvest mine when the plant starts declining.

I could be doing it wrong, so maybe @karrl can correct me.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm only an expert garlic eater - not grower. I cut the scapes off as soon as I can, which apparently puts more energy into growing the cloves. I harvest mine when the plant starts declining.

I could be doing it wrong, so maybe @karrl can correct me.
We just wait long enough to where we can get all the scapes at one time. Once they have at least one full curl they’re ready to go. Every once in a while we miss one and you end up with a smaller bulb.

As far as harvest, I wait until the 2-3 lowest leaves go brown and dry out, then I start pulling. We waited too long the first time and had bulbs of garlic without enough paper to protect the bulbs. It’s still usable but it doesn’t store for long.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad "I wanted to make hay from that grass!", me "Yeah, right! YOU will make hay, didn't make any last year either and this year You are down to 3 rabbits."

I knoked it down, it can rot for all I care!
But I am not promoting snake habitats so close to our house.

The mower is his, it tends to run iffy but it behaved and didn't miss a beat today.
It is a behemoth to handle despite being selfpropelled.
It is a heavy beast, whenever the engine acts up it has to be "towed" back home.

IMG_20230530_131041.jpg