Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
8:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Out of ol Sir Loin we have only had to pull one calf. We run the young stuff in with him. After they have their first calf, and are bred back, we move them in with Easy. So far we've never had to pull one of his. We have bought bred heifers and either lost the calf, or had to pull.
They are nice looking animals. Disposition is a trait that I worry about as well. A good bull or two can make or break you. We have changed bulls a couple times since then and haven't had to pull any for a few years, but that is always in the back of my mind. Its time again this spring to change out and I am leaning toward black angus. It seems that regardless of what the ever changing trends on colors and crosses, black holds its own. We have a few limousine cross that are red and throw a good calf every year, but when they age out I will push for all black.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
9:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are nice looking animals. Disposition is a trait that I worry about as well. A good bull or two can make or break you. We have changed bulls a couple times since then and haven't had to pull any for a few years, but that is always in the back of my mind. Its time again this spring to change out and I am leaning toward black angus. It seems that regardless of what the ever changing trends on colors and crosses, black holds its own. We have a few limousine cross that are red and throw a good calf every year, but when they age out I will push for all black.
Goes for mama's too. These girls came out a solid herd of good mama's. No pulling calves,no stupid first calf heifer crap and breed back easy. Plus they are fairly mellow. For now.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Out of ol Sir Loin we have only had to pull one calf. We run the young stuff in with him. After they have their first calf, and are bred back, we move them in with Easy. So far we've never had to pull one of his. We have bought bred heifers and either lost the calf, or had to pull.

Sir Loin

View attachment 272155

Easy

View attachment 272156
I like big easy. Both good looking bulls but I raised just Hereford for many years. They’ll always be my fav. Most of my herd are crossed angus bull Hereford cows. I only switched to angus when the market demanded black cattle years ago

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell of a day so far. Fed the heifers in the back lot.....got 18 head in there counting the bull, then come out to the front lot to find my neighbor's dogs loose and trying their best to kill my 3 day old calves. Luckily the cows were taking care of the dogs pretty well on their own. I got Charlie (my neighbor) out to help catch the dogs with no luck. They took off thru the woods to the back lot. Charlie gave me his rifle and told me to kill the damn dogs. As luck would have it, I couldn't find the damn things. I moved some stuff around to place the feedlot on the other side of the barn further away from where he keeps his dogs, and out of their sight. I'd rather not kill a good neighbor's dogs.

Gonna eat some lunch, and start work in the shop......finally.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell of a day so far. Fed the heifers in the back lot.....got 18 head in there counting the bull, then come out to the front lot to find my neighbor's dogs loose and trying their best to kill my 3 day old calves. Luckily the cows were taking care of the dogs pretty well on their own. I got Charlie (my neighbor) out to help catch the dogs with no luck. They took off thru the woods to the back lot. Charlie gave me his rifle and told me to kill the damn dogs. As luck would have it, I couldn't find the damn things. I moved some stuff around to place the feedlot on the other side of the barn further away from where he keeps his dogs, and out of their sight. I'd rather not kill a good neighbor's dogs.

That sounds like a full day already Randy!

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Been there done that, I take that they were not hunting dogs. aka hounds, beagles, etc.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love that Hereford bull boss, we had one back in 1963 that me and brother used to ride, took us where ever we wanted to go.

That's probably the coolest thing I've ever heard. Glenda and I were in Alabama a couple of years ago, and we saw a man riding a Jersey steer.....saddle and all.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
80!! :D

Are those 5x5 Tony?
4x5 or thereabouts. Nice to have 4 wheel drive on truck to keep it from sliding when loading. First time I loaded with this truck I slid it forward about 20' pushing the bales on. Afterwords I remembered that it is a 4x4.:BangHead: