The Official Farming Thread...

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just sent my 5320 John to the stealership. Tractor is 19 years old with a 540 loader on it. Only has 1600 hours on it. It was bought new with a reverser on it. Lightly worked. Used for stacking hay and light dirt or rock moving.

Was moving round bales out of storage and flipped the reverser and nothing. Pulled it out of the barn and called them. They are telling me both clutches are down to metal and it ripped the center out of the reverser clutch. Plus the hydro pump that switches is full of trash and needs replaced. They quoted 7800 for the repairs. I need the tractor as it’s my only loader. That’s almost all my profit from this years hay crop. Can’t win for losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just sent my 5320 John to the stealership. Tractor is 19 years old with a 540 loader on it. Only has 1600 hours on it. It was bought new with a reverser on it. Lightly worked. Used for stacking hay and light dirt or rock moving.

Was moving round bales out of storage and flipped the reverser and nothing. Pulled it out of the barn and called them. They are telling me both clutches are down to metal and it ripped the center out of the reverser clutch. Plus the hydro pump that switches is full of trash and needs replaced. They quoted 7800 for the repairs. I need the tractor as it’s my only loader. That’s almost all my profit from this years hay crop. Can’t win for losing.

I spent 5400.00 on a 1978 model 2640. PTO clutch came apart.....

I feel your pain.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those 40 series was made back when things was made to last. Got a 4240 with a turned up fuel pump. 1975 model bought the year I was born. Shuttle shift tranny. Been one hell of a tractor. Never to be sold. The boy that picked up the 5320 said they had a waiting list on any 5000 series used that was traded in. Said that was the last series that jd made that was worth having. Said they couldn’t keep any of the new stuff going.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those 40 series was made back when things was made to last. Got a 4240 with a turned up fuel pump. 1975 model bought the year I was born. Shuttle shift tranny. Been one hell of a tractor. Never to be sold. The boy that picked up the 5320 said they had a waiting list on any 5000 series used that was traded in. Said that was the last series that jd made that was worth having. Said they couldn’t keep any of the new stuff going.

Mine has a rattle where the hydraulic pump and crankshaft meet. I replaced the coupling last year, but used aftermarket parts. Looks like I'll be taking it apart again.

As far as I can tell, that's the only weak link on the machine.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you use the hydros much? Could be the pump. Usually I try to go back to jd for parts. I’ve got a 59 jd 730 row crop. Thrust washers came apart on the crank. Chewed up the starter and flywheel. They had a flywheel and the thrustwashers in 3 days. Had the starter rebuilt locally. Runs like a top now. I’ll pull silage wagons with it. And ride it up and down the road. Just because I can lol.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you use the hydros much? Could be the pump. Usually I try to go back to jd for parts. I’ve got a 59 jd 730 row crop. Thrust washers came apart on the crank. Chewed up the starter and flywheel. They had a flywheel and the thrustwashers in 3 days. Had the starter rebuilt locally. Runs like a top now. I’ll pull silage wagons with it. And ride it up and down the road. Just because I can lol.

I hope it ain't the pump. It's my only loader tractor, so I feed with it. Uses the hydraulics everyday.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope it ain't the pump. It's my only loader tractor, so I feed with it. Uses the hydraulics everyday.

If it’s like the add on for the internationals it’s a square shaft the corners or rounded off. A little stainless rod or inconel on the corners and it will be good to go.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s like the add on for the internationals it’s a square shaft the corners or rounded off. A little stainless rod or inconel on the corners and it will be good to go.

I'll pull it all apart before hay season. I'm sure between the bunch of us, we can get it squared away.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Used to feed a lot of oat and triticale hay! Crops that have a beard have to be put up early or the beard can cause lump jaw troubles. Cows love it!

Yes, small screen in the grinder, or a small screen in the chopper. Bearded barley is very bad for straight feed. As is bearded wheat for hogs.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I used to grow field peas, barley, and wheat for grain. Beardless barley and wheat. Had a hammermill and sold hog feed for a couple years in high-school. I’m currently feeding some beardless barley hay right now. It was cut a little late, but I bought it for a good price. I just feed some alfalfa for some protein.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anybody feed barley hay, or any other grain hays? Pea hay?

Barley is ok if you are able to cut it before it go to head. Hard to do here. Wheat makes good hay if it also can be cut in time, again hard to do here. Oats, fall or spring seem to work better around here, and the cows will eat it at almost any stage.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The beardless wheat never caught on here in Kansas. Shattered out before we could harvest! And Arley is also a thing of the past. Used to feed a lot of it to the hogs!