The Official Farming Thread...

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This may be an old subject, I'm new to this thread, but does anybody use Jakes Fence tighteners. Persoanlly I like 'em

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This may be an old subject, I'm new to this thread, but does anybody use Jakes Fence tighteners. Persoanlly I like 'em

Yes, but not much, as the wire usually breaks when they are pulled tight.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I've switched everything to 4-wire high tensile, and use the ratcheting tensioners. Much easier to keep in good repair, as when a tree falls on it, usually you just have to cut the tree off, and possibly re-staple.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bad time to be in the creek. The mud will kill them. If you got a mud hole around a hay ring. Keep a watch on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure....

And you call yourself a rancher? Having binged a couple seasons of The Ranch this weekend I was sure you’d know. Best try and keep track of this one, might be something to be mindful of in the future.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And you call yourself a rancher? Having binged a couple seasons of The Ranch this weekend I was sure you’d know. Best try and keep track of this one, might be something to be mindful of in the future.

I'm not real smart. If I was I wouldn't be messing with cattle.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No, I've switched everything to 4-wire high tensile, and use the ratcheting tensioners. Much easier to keep in good repair, as when a tree falls on it, usually you just have to cut the tree off, and possibly re-staple.

Very true, we have done everything from 2 wire ( electric ) to 16 wire in feed lots with the ratchets, mostly 4 to 6 wire farm fence with 1 or 2 hot wires. Also have some 9 wire lot fence here at the farm with 5" spacing with 2 hot wires. Very easy to fix, cut the tree and the wire comes back up. We started putting up high tensile wire back in 1977.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had to fetch this one outta the creek.

View attachment 220662

Lucky you saw it in time. We have lost at least 3 in the last few years when the old cow will lay down in a creek then start to have a calf. Take a chain or rope and pull her up the bank before the calf comes out, because she will not be able to get it out of the water before it drowns.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20200208_165205.jpg
Gentle young cow came up and sniffed my head while I banded and tagged this one. Not like the one earlier today that my dad ran around the tractor with while I was under the loader. I'll remember her come sale time.