The MS261 Muffler

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
@Mastermind

just curious, why you don't stamp out your own deflectors or buy rough stamped deflectors from someone. Seems to me it would save allot of time vs marking out and hand bending a deflector.

these are the ones i stamp out for use in the shop then just trim to suit the saw they are going on, lots of room to modify them to fit the different mufflers and exhaust outlet locations. I attach them the same as you....nutserts.

AS 001.jpg AS 002.jpg AS 003.jpg 346exhaust.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind

just curious, why you don't stamp out your own deflectors or buy rough stamped deflectors from someone. Seems to me it would save allot of time vs marking out and hand bending a deflector.

these are the ones i stamp out for use in the shop then just trim to suit the saw they are going on, lots of room to modify them to fit the different mufflers and exhaust outlet locations. I attach them the same as you....nutserts.

View attachment 80479 View attachment 80480 View attachment 80481 View attachment 80482

I sorta like the way the bent ones look. Crisp corners and all.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I start with 24ga sheet steel.

View attachment 80433

View attachment 80434 View attachment 80435 View attachment 80436
The 288 deflector is out of place here.

View attachment 80437
I use a little vice in another small vice to bend the metal up in.

View attachment 80438

Now the other side.

View attachment 80444

Test fit.

View attachment 80445

Rivet nuts and a nice sized hole.

View attachment 80446

Ready to install......

View attachment 80447
And done.

View attachment 80448
as always your work is top notch Randy.
You gave me some ideas with this way to make a deflector for my Husky 242's

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The way Randy does these is much better than the 'shark gill' way of cutting slots and crimping them. When you turn the saw on its side hot gas gets your hand. Also once water got in my gill style ms261 muffler and it sounded real funky when running, there was a high pitch squeal from the engine :eek:....I pulled the cylinder and let everything dry out and all was good. The rivet screws, deflector & screen is the way forward on a worksaw.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, I use a more open stainless steel screen. It's not a spark screen.
yup, I thought you used stainless steel screen, when they produce them there is an industrial standard they follow, if I understood it correct its sized in micron (the distance between the threads).
I dont know if you know the micron on the stainless steel screen you use (lol, so people like me can buy the correct screen)

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yup, I thought you used stainless steel screen, when they produce them there is an industrial standard they follow, if I understood it correct its sized in micron (the distance between the threads).
I dont know if you know the micron on the stainless steel screen you use (lol, so people like me can buy the correct screen)

I'll have to find the specs on it Tor. I think it is 12 x 12 mesh. Which means 12 wires per inch.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for a super cool thread! I have/had several of these and they are really nice. You are a tinsmith!
The thin flange rivnuts sure keeps it nice and tidy.

If you want to play, buy a kit. I have been piecing my kit together and it aint' very economical...I only have US thread stuff.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Tor here is the screen I found and bought after Randy told me about it. I have bought from this seller a couple times now. Not sure if he will ship to Norway. If he won't I'll get it and ship to you if you want.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/263105112675

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to find the specs on it Tor. I think it is 12 x 12 mesh. Which means 12 wires per inch.
Thanks Randy, I had to read a bit tonight about the US mesh, not sure if I understood what I read though

Hi Tor here is the screen I found and bought after Randy told me about it. I have bought from this seller a couple times now. Not sure if he will ship to Norway. If he won't I'll get it and ship to you if you want.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/263105112675
thanks for the offer Dan, I'll check around a bit in Norway, stuff like this is probleby sold in kitchen & plumber stores