The Cut Report - After the Bench

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, so much to learn and they all seem a little different from one another. I like the other two #s a lot. I think lower transfers provide better velocity.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, so much to learn and they all seem a little different from one another. I like the other two #s a lot. I think lower transfers provide better velocity.
My other one is at 107 so I may raise this one up a bit. Not saying my numbers are perfect on this one. It's just a starting point and experimenting.

I also went with a larger carb and the 357/359 intake tract on this one. So I really expected it to be as good or better than the NE with stock carb/intake. It could be any number of things but I'll figure it out.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
32.5mm stroke and yes they like a low exhaust. My other one can be pushed on as hard as you want and keeps eating wood. I prefer a16" .325 bar but it'll pull a 18" 3/8 with authority as well.

My other one is at 107 so I may raise this one up a bit. Not saying my numbers are perfect on this one. It's just a starting point and experimenting.

I also went with a larger carb and the 357/359 intake tract on this one. So I really expected it to be as good or better than the NE with stock carb/intake. It could be any number of things but I'll figure it out.

Keep in mind that no two people time a cylinder Ed Zachery the same(learned that at Tree Monkey school), so might not be nothing wrong with raising the snaust just a titch. Then you may want to raise the transfers along with possibly too, peak in there and see what you think. I doubt seriously you will wreck it by doing so.
Could also be the different cylinders having some effect on it as well, I did one really low as it could go that worked out and the other I raised 2-3 degrees. Porting styles differ as well and who knows how many other factors are at play.
So long story even longer best I can say is find what works for you and then remember that for next time and even then it may be different.
Best of luck getting it to go, let us know what you find out.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, I wish I knew what you forgot!

It is fascinating though, I think I kinda know what to do with those Asian 440 BBs (I practiced on enough of them). As I got a little bolder with my porting, I got 2 of them to run petty darn good.

I know you are not a fan of BB or AM, but it was a low cost way for me to learn, and outside of Tax Season I have the time to play with them.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for ya Randy … When you come up with your #s for a saw … is it usually specific to that model, or are they more dependent on the size of the saw, or the stroke???

For example, I kinda think 440s and 460s (which have the same stroke) like the same #s, but 660s have a longer stroke and seem to like different #s.

Your thoughts?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been watching them. Good stuff!

I think if I recall correctly @huskihl did a great job on the the exhaust port of that little hot dog he made. I ran one a couple years ago and they are all that. Might be take a look and see if it got wide enough, flat enough etc etc before you try and raise it.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for ya Randy … When you come up with your #s for a saw … is it usually specific to that model, or are they more dependent on the size of the saw, or the stroke???

For example, I kinda think 440s and 460s (which have the same stroke) like the same #s, but 660s have a longer stroke and seem to like different #s.

Your thoughts?

Design is more of a clue where to start than displacement usually. But you never really know without testing that compares different recipes to one another. Then....the wood can skew your results.

Some of my best recipes were found by trial and error I suppose. And, by being willing to try things that didn't agree with my preconceived notions.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@beaglebriar
On a different saw, but same problem, was not enough ignition timing to go along with everything else.
Correct me if I'm wrong @huskihl but seems to me it's hard to go too far on these little Husqvarna's.
I think I can recall taking most of the key out and it still not biting on the start ups.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree, as long as it’s the black coil. The blue ones seem to have a lot more aggressive curve and they idle kind of funky/inconsistent sometimes (the advance kicks in too early I think). They run nice in the cut though. Every husky I took the limited coil off of and fitted a black one with 1/3 off key advanced timing is smoother running in general imho. (350, 372xt/oe, 385/390xp). I only advance the blue ones a touch or not at all, too much and they pop or kick.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@beaglebriar
On a different saw, but same problem, was not enough ignition timing to go along with everything else.
Correct me if I'm wrong @huskihl but seems to me it's hard to go too far on these little Husqvarna's.
I think I can recall taking most of the key out and it still not biting on the start ups.
I don't really know. I've read where some say they don't advance the timing on some Huskies. As a rule, I always do. But like Mason said, there are so many different coils that what applies to one doesn't apply to the next. Especially after seeing some coils advance through 10k rpm, some do nothing, and some continually retard timing as rpm increases.