The Cut Report - After the Bench

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting ports. It appears that the top of the transfer port is convex. That is, that it is sloped at the back and then slightly angled down as it approaches the port opening. Correct me if I'm wrong. - If so, that would give a more flatter flow into the cylinder than a flat roof on an open transfer.

It is also shifting the flow towards the back of the cylinder by the slight curve in the port.

It shows a lot more thought than the straight 'industrial' ports on some of the other open port designs.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind Randy this is you saw...see.
Made from @leadfarmer junk.

She's got grunt for days only pulls about 1,000RPM over stock but has some stones behind it. I ran this 32" bar with full comp chain to see just how much it would take. So you can either run a long 24"-28" bar or pop an 8 pin on it and run a shorter 18"-20" bar.
Was an interesting experiment to see what could be had from a standard open port 268 cylinder, it's a Gillardoni and one of the nicest looking P&C's I've ever seen. Yes the used piston was still in great shape and it now wears a Caber ring, which is still Italian so... should be fine. Lol
New bearings on the crankshaft along with gaskets seals and carbeltater kit pretty much round out the new parts most everything else barring a few smalls is used cherry picked from Rodney's junk pile. Everything was in house not one part was ordered for this saw. So this is the cherry pick.
The mods were geared towards torque and I think that was achieved, it was a fun build to do and hardly felt like work at all.
So now you have one for show and one for go.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

She's got grunt for days only pulls about 1,000RPM over stock but has some stones behind it. I ran this 32" bar with full comp chain to see just how much it would take. So you can either run a long 24"-28" bar or pop an 8 pin on it and run a shorter 18"-20" bar.
Was an interesting experiment to see what could be had from a standard open port 268 cylinder, it's a Gillardoni and one of the nicest looking P&C's I've ever seen. Yes the used piston was still in great shape and it now wears a Caber ring, which is still Italian so... should be fine. Lol
New bearings on the crankshaft along with gaskets seals and carbeltater kit pretty much round out the new parts most everything else barring a few smalls is used cherry picked from Rodney's junk pile. Everything was in house not one part was ordered for this saw. So this is the cherry pick.
The mods were geared towards torque and I think that was achieved, it was a fun build to do and hardly felt like work at all.
Lookin good Steve. And should have a few more in there to put together[emoji16]

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lookin good Steve. And should have a few more in there to put together[emoji16]

Thank you Steveo.

And you too Rodney.

I'm a lucky guy to have friends like yall.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.325 chain 8 pin sprocket
3/8" chain 7 pin sprocket

Today's cut report is an MS261C that was ported to be a firewood saw. Tried a couple different sized chains to see what worked better and the 3/8 was by far the best in the rock hard frozen wood. Could put extra pressure on the saw and it would bow up and take it quite with the extra power being made. I think it's right up there in the tops for a modern day firewood saw.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New Raisman chain out of the box.

New @dall square chain

Todays cut report has been a few days in the waiting while I figured out what was hampering the last bits of RPM in this saw of @GCJenks204 ,seems it was a combo of break in and timing. I also wanted to try a different chain to see how it cut in the frozen wood and it is quite an improvement there from the regular grind I was using on a different saw yesterday. This saw has pretty much everything OEM except for a Cross Performance piston that was decided on as an experiment. I really could find no fault with it and it comes with Caber rings and was installed with a new bushing from Husqvarna. If the piston gets fubared, I'll just fix it to go faster is all. I also really liked the replacement clutch from Husqvarna with the "C" style springs. This seems like a solid set up with good engagement to me. Have to say every one of these 254's I come across are just a pleasure to work on and cut with.
@Tor R @Onan18 @Mastermind

Also as a side note, I would like someday to compare the new Ducati coil with the older SEM unit to see if the timing is the same between the two. Seems this could be a possibility, but I'm not really for certain at this time and don't have both examples to test it out. All I can say is the same advancement to the flywheel had a very different outcome with the two different coils being the biggest suspect at the moment. Hard to say if any other variable came into play between different saws or not.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New Raisman chain out of the box.

New @dall square chain

Todays cut report has been a few days in the waiting while I figured out what was hampering the last bits of RPM in this saw of @GCJenks204 ,seems it was a combo of break in and timing. I also wanted to try a different chain to see how it cut in the frozen wood and it is quite an improvement there from the regular grind I was using on a different saw yesterday. This saw has pretty much everything OEM except for a Cross Performance piston that was decided on as an experiment. I really could find no fault with it and it comes with Caber rings and was installed with a new bushing from Husqvarna. If the piston gets fubared, I'll just fix it to go faster is all. I also really liked the replacement clutch from Husqvarna with the "C" style springs. This seems like a solid set up with good engagement to me. Have to say every one of these 254's I come across are just a pleasure to work on and cut with.
@Tor R @Onan18 @Mastermind

Also as a side note, I would like someday to compare the new Ducati coil with the older SEM unit to see if the timing is the same between the two. Seems this could be a possibility, but I'm not really for certain at this time and don't have both examples to test it out. All I can say is the same advancement to the flywheel had a very different outcome with the two different coils being the biggest suspect at the moment. Hard to say if any other variable came into play between different saws or not.

Looks great Steve, really seems to have some giddy up to it!!!

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.325 chain 8 pin sprocket
3/8" chain 7 pin sprocket

Today's cut report is an MS261C that was ported to be a firewood saw. Tried a couple different sized chains to see what worked better and the 3/8 was by far the best in the rock hard frozen wood. Could put extra pressure on the saw and it would bow up and take it quite with the extra power being made. I think it's right up there in the tops for a modern day firewood saw.

In your opinion, did it like the 3/8 just because or did the wood seem to have any bearing on it?
Just curious, because like you, I see plenty of frozen solid stuff and was wondering if giving 3/8 a try on my 026 would be worth it.