Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know what to do with Stihl, their sales and service here is bad at best. I understand you like them better and I prefer Husqvarna and so do many. Are 462s lighter because of thinner cylinder walls, lighter piston, lighter crank and plastic clutch cover?

Now hold up. I lay out a few facts based on what I do for a living, and now your butt hurt?

WTF?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not at all, anyone that has been around at all, knows you do not care for Husqvarna 5 series saws.

I've tried. I had high hopes for the 572. I also just got reports back about a nearly new 550MKII that is failing fast.

The problem....as I've said for years is that Husqvarna has a horrible quality control dept. One saw will be fine.....the next assembled incorrectly, or with parts that should have been pitched. It's not my opinion......it's based on seeing thousands of saws apart in front of me. Facts care nothing about our opinions.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.....anyone else had any problems with this saw?

So far(and these are bone stock versions) the tree guy I help out(they can break anything) has a few and so far smashed one with a tree, that took a few hundred to get back in one piece. About a month later that same saw would only pop once when starting and die. With a gapped spark checker it would spark good once and the remainder be all scattered and broke up along with being orange instead of blue in color. A new coil remedied the situ.
A different saw had the starter pulley posts and flywheel pawls wrecked from drop starting, while this being a simple fix, just replace what's broken. It was found out however they are the same part as on the 562 and the exact same part as on the 550/545. Here's your wtf. o_O
Other than that, no butts were hurted and the crew love these saws over the 372xp and MS461. Have similar stories with the Stihl's once they are dropped from a tree the coil lasts about a month after that.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem I have with a saw that "might" be a problem child is the distance between my customers and me. Over the last couple of months the only saws that I've had to deal with issues on......you guessed it.....the 5 series Husqvarna.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many Echos, Makitas, ect do you do per Husqy? And any problems from them?

Just trying to build a picture of brands and their failure rate.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 and the 572 are about $100 difference up here in Canada.

One thing I did notice when I ran the new 572 is how hot it seemed run, not sure if that's normal with the new 5 series Husky's or what.

Mine runs cool as a cucumber, especially around the carb area, the 562 and 550 can get very hot there.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Go into a Stihl dealer, you see Stihls needing repair. Go into local Husqvarna dealer here and you see them all. JD dealer sends his saws to them for repair.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Very few.....I try to avoid saws that I don't do in volume. The 2511T is the Echo I do most often. I've yet to see any Echo assembled incorrectly, or fail in any way, shape or form. I do even less Makitas, but the same is true for them.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ported a bunch of these.....seen them clock over 1,000,000 board feet without an issue. I've never shied away from recommending them.

But I'm beginning to reconsider that.

So far I've had two that spun the PTO side bearing in the case, three that had to have carb and coil replaced. Now this insanity.

Stud holding the air filter on cross threaded, and driven in until the nut in the filter base began spinning in the molding.

View attachment 268215 View attachment 268216 View attachment 268217 View attachment 268218
Have you come across any 462’s with bearing failures or spun cases?
Not getting in the pissin match, actually just curious.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you come across any 462’s with bearing failures or spun cases?
Not getting in the pissin match, actually just curious.

Not yet.....but I've heard that they have been some that had trouble.

It amuses me to see people who don't even own stock in a company get all offended if someone says anything about their products.

I'll tell you this Keith.....if I start sending out 462s that wind up with spun bearings......I'll be right here telling everyone about it. I don't owe Stihl a damn thing. These saws are merely a way for me to pay my bills.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not yet.....but I've heard that they have been some that had trouble.

It amuses me to see people who don't even own stock in a company get all offended if someone says anything about their products.

I'll tell you this Keith.....if I start sending out 462s that wind up with spun bearings......I'll be right here telling everyone about it. I don't owe Stihl a damn thing. These saws are merely a way for me to pay my bills.
The brand pissin match amuses the hell outta me.... funny seein guys get worked up over that stuff. Lol

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You ported a 562 for me, no problem and just sold it. Newer 562 no problems, rebuilt a 550mk1 ran it and sold no problems, had a 572 and sold it, just purchased a new 572 both no problem, have a 550mk2 no problems, ran it a lot this summer and fall. Rebuilt several for Ebels, most abused saws, couple straight gassed. Rebuilt several Stihls for them also. Have ran, owned, rebuilt many. Didn't you mod some saws for Ebels?