High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tecomec chain spinner and breaker...are they any good?

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I just bought the Tecomec set myself. Been using a cheap HF unit up until now, but the Tecomec set is much nicer. Only used it once so far, but seems great. I did the same as suggested above, mounted both to a 2x4” so I can easily put it in my bench vise and remove it when done.
I also bought the “Type B” spinner handle and anvil for 1/4” , 3/8”LP and .325.

I believe Tecomec makes the Oregon stuff. It’s identical, except for the color.
Same with their grinders. I have the Tecomec Super Jolly, which is the same as the Oregon 620-120.
Where did you find the "type b" spinner handle? I didn't realize I would need additional tools/parts for 3/8LP.

Edit: I have found some vendors, but not sure if they are listing the right part. Most list the part number 38600 for 1/4 and .325 chain. I am specifically buying the Tecomec tools for a 25' roll of 3/8 LP chain I ordered. Will this work for sure?

Edit #2: Found the right parts on Amazon of all places. Had a hard time finding anything until I told google I wanted Oregon instead of Tecomec parts.

Last edited:

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where did you find the "type b" spinner handle? I didn't realize I would need additional tools/parts for 3/8LP.

Edit: I have found some vendors, but not sure if they are listing the right part. Most list the part number 38600 for 1/4 and .325 chain. I am specifically buying the Tecomec tools for a 25' roll of 3/8 LP chain I ordered. Will this work for sure?

Edit #2: Found the right parts on Amazon of all places. Had a hard time finding anything until I told google I wanted Oregon instead of Tecomec parts.
I found the anvil on eBay and the handle on Amazon. Sounds like you’ve got it covered, though.
The need for the “Type B” stuff is just because of the smaller rivets on the small chains.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I take it you have the Tecomec grinder as well? I ordered both the spinner and breaker today. While searching for the spinner and breaker I saw the Tecomec bar mounted sharpening jig and ordered the "deluxe" version. It looks like better build quality and easier adjustments on the Tecomec version compared to the Granberg I have now. Probably a different story when comparing to the older Granberg jigs.
I bought Tecomec's Speed Sharp automatic at an estate auction for about $160 nearly seven years ago, primarily to serve as a backup to my Oregon 511a. It works fine but you cannot tilt the vice from port to starboard like the 511a, a feature that I really admire. Regardless, its a good grinder if you can live without that.

motoOzarks

motoMonster
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I believe yours is an Oregon 620, same as the Tecomec super jolly

advertised as a speed sharp
I was thinking about throwing them an offer but I'm not up to speed on all the different models.
I had a harbor freight one years ago that I gave to a guy I didn't like.........

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
advertised as a speed sharp
I was thinking about throwing them an offer but I'm not up to speed on all the different models.
I had a harbor freight one years ago that I gave to a guy I didn't like.........
The only one I know of that has the hydraulic vise like the one in the pic is the 620, but I could be wrong. @Philbert will know

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey wood doctor, is this the type you have?
View attachment 295896
Could be. That's pretty close. Note that it will not tilt from port to starboard like the Oregon 511a will. Some say that tilt is not necessary. There is a scale along the lower right side showing a front-to-back slide that somehow accomplished the same mission as the tilt. Very well made, I have had no trouble with it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only one I know of that has the hydraulic vise like the one in the pic is the 620, but I could be wrong. @Philbert will know
As I understand it, Tecomec makes most of the Oregon bench grinders, and has for years (exceptions might include the 310-120). Of course, this is subject to change. I won't try to guess all the model numbers.

That said, there are sometimes differences between models, or special features that Oregon specs on some of their grinders. There have been a variety of similar, hydraulic vise grinders sold under both names over the years. The quality should be the same, but there may be some feature differences.

These hydraulic grinders achieve the 'down angle' by sliding the vice forward or back, to make contact with a different part of the round, grinding wheel, circumference, instead of rocking the vice.

Philbert

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... These hydraulic grinders achieve the 'down angle' by sliding the vice forward or back, to make contact with a different part of the round, grinding wheel, circumference, instead of rocking the vice.

Philbert
That always amazes me, Philbert. The math must be there, but I'll never understand it. Since I own both, I should use a "slave" chain and sharpen it half and half using both grinders -- the slider and the rocker -- and somehow inspect the difference, if any. Seem reasonable?

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Since this thread has moved over into grinders, what is the most accurate bench grinder?

~Yellow Streak~

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OK, this thread was started on the Tecomec breaker/spinner set. I purchased one. The boxes say, "Designed and manufactured by Tecomec". On opposing side, (Tecomec S.r.l. 42124 Reggio Emilia - Italy)
Then the box states, "Made in China". Uhh

Tecomec's got a racket going.
The "B" handle and insert (for 1/4, 3/8LP, .325) aren't included with the spinner. The "B" insert is $7 and the "B" handle is $16, currently. The listing stated that both inserts were included so, I contacted the seller. They sent me a "B" insert. Both should be included!!
The Oregon handles will not work with the Tecomec spinner. Oregon is 1/2" thread. Tecomec is metric, and larger diameter. I doubt the inserts would interchange. the Tecomec inserts are 8mm hex.

With the "A" handle, I'm just going to try a 3mm I.D. x 5mm O.D. washer... if I ever do any 1/4 chain. Attach it to the handle recess with a dab of grease. I'll try a piece of piano wire bent into a circle for a little better centering on 3/8LP presets. I'm sure I can make do with the A handle.

~Yellow Streak~

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The shaft that the thrust bearing rides on is 17mm. The OD is 30mm.
Bearing # AXK1730
Singles - thebay item # 294231028116 (subject to change)
10 pcs - thebay item # 110889345093 (subject to change)

Albeit, GETTIN CHARGED DANG TAX BY MY STATE FOR SOMETHING OUT OF CHINA!!!:cursing:
a'hem

I'm gonna spray the breaker and spinner down with Fluid Film.
Then use regular oil periodically on the specific points.
(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this product)

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh they sort have done that here, if the seller is known to be out of the uk (ie China) then eBay takes 20% vat out of there money, not exactly sure how thou. I noticed this was new and a 20% was subtracted in the price in the receipt.
Anyhow it didn’t take long before all the China sellers seemed to whacked the price up 20%

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EBay and Amazon have been collecting state sales taxes for a while now. Pretty sure that the states got after them, after losing so much tax revenue, along with local retailers claiming an unfair advantage.

Philbert

~Yellow Streak~

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If ali-express would start excepting paypal, that would be great. I'm leery of puttin my card info on a Chinese site.
Bet ya don't get taxed there.
I'm tempted to just get a prepaid debit card and limit what I deposit to it.
That way if there was an unauthorized charge, they wouldn't be able to get much.
Of course, you wouldn't have much buyer protection.

After I bawt the Tecomec set, I was researching the (out of china) spinners on ebay and the web,
hoping I might find a cheaper B handle.
I ran across Farmertec selling the Holzfforma spinner/breaker set for $56 and it includes both handles/inserts.
It doesn't include the adjustable anvil that the Tecomec breaker comes with.
I felt cheated. Then I clicked on the "Estimate Shipping" button.
It actually, literally, says "slow boat from china" $72 !!:meparto:
(Well, not those exact words)

Didn't feel so cheated then.

Last edited:

~Yellow Streak~

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
EBay and Amazon have been collecting state sales taxes for a while now. Pretty sure that the states got after them, after losing so much tax revenue, along with local retailers claiming an unfair advantage.

Yeah, they call them "Marketplace Facilitators". A whole mall closed down here.
What really P's me O is gettin charged tax on the shipping cost as well. That ain't right!
Tax is already being included/collected in the carriers shipping cost, whether it's USPS or whomever.
Of course, with the "free shipping", what can ya do?

Next'll be tax on tax! (rant, rant, rant) (which it actually is in the shipping tax case)

Users of Amazon and Ebay that are getting charged tax on shipping by their state need to write their congressman and speak their mind.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my oak hardwood bracket that I use to hold my chain sharpener:
Chainsaw Sharpener01.JPG
Another view:
Chainsaw Sharpener02.JPG
The sharpener bolts to this creation and my bench vise holds it at just the right height:
Chainsaw Sharpener06.JPG
Needless to say, it works and it was worth the effort to build it. I also made a similar one for my Tecomec. Thanks for looking.

~Yellow Streak~

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have some chain sharpeners. All are round. One package says 5/32" and the other 7/32".

But seriously, nice work Wood Doctor.

I may invest in a grinder if I get one of the portable 48" mills to go with a 42" bar I purchased. First, I'll have to acquire a powerhead that would pull the chain. The biggest saw I have is 60cc. Longest bar I use on it is 20". Don't mind filing that. 60cc ain't gonna "cut" it with a 42" 063 bar.

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cheap breakers are fine but punches are a bit soft, so either pre grind the rivet a bit or get the Italian style punch that will go in the cheaper breaker after you grind 3 flats on the shank