Stihl MS881! The rumors begin

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know that in stock form the 088 will walk away from a 3120 pretty easy . Honestly if smooth running 122cc saws are you main concern it's time to start looking at running a smaller saw. These beasts are usually reserved for the most extreme jobs and not the day to day cutting most people see.
If the 881 is anything like the 088 your not likely going to get a better saw off the dealer shelf.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally replaced that defective/cracked stihl-born bar.

Definitely different steel on the Tsumura 218PV5. It's a stiffer bar. The oiler hole seems to flow better. More rivets on the nose sprocket. Shorter nose sprocket as well, so you can clamp the Alaskan mill closer to tip.

The tsumura is a 107 drive link, the stihl-born bar is 108 drive link. Even in spite of this, I still had to back the chain tensioner way back to mount the bar. Might be a taller bar. A very good $118 on Amazon.

I'm still cringing over that crack. I was on a time critical/paid job, and continued milling for 10 hours on that cracked bar. Didn't have a back-up. Never thought I'd need a back-up on a fkn six month old .404 bar?

I'm so lucky that thing didn't come undone. If it did, the chances of severe injury would have been a strong possibility.

And this ties into bolo number 5 of this piece of sht 881: the chain catch is integral to the felling spikes. I removed them to have enough mill width for the cut. The tree was too large and the felling spikes took up critical space.

In order to safely mill having a chain catch I'll have to modify a second set of felling spikes to get back the chain catch, but maintain max-cut width.

Clearly not a milling saw. Lazy, Dog-sht development not tested in the real world. Early ms 881 prototypes were only given to fair-weather, suburban fan-boys.

20220920-195236.jpg

20220920-193421.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lnk

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chief, I couldn't in good faith, sell something damaged/defective. I will keep it around, as a good conversational piece, like oem stihl, made in turkey, plastic caged crank bearings.

Crack goes through the oiler hole.

20220920-193253.jpg

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For what it's worth i just ran a 881 on Sunday with a 7 foot bar on it. The owner and i cut
a log length wise about 5 foot and also made a few other large cuts and i didn't find his vibrating
much at all. Seemed normal to me.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you've finally run a gallon through it. Good for you. Once it hits 10 below zero, bring it up here to interior Alaska and experience one when the rubber a.v. mounts turn as hard as concrete. Then talk to me about how smooth the piece of sht is. AV mount design so ancient, stihl was able to swap them out with softer a.v. from the 1980s, so I could actually run the thing.

But, many, many more failures all over the 881 design.

Cape cod, Mass?! I guess yall must know saws down there in liberal-suburbia.

You seem to like vintage macs

Anyhow, in the real world, my grandmother met my grandfather in a logging camp up on the Canadian border. before that she cut pulp with horses for seasonal money. My grandfather ended his woods-run with macs and stihls. I grew up with many of them still being used.

In their elderly years, gram switched to basket making, gramp switched to mechanic work on skidders and logging trucks. My family now owns the old logging shop in northern Maine, a 240 ft long building. There were scores of macs still hanging around.

Last edited:

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark,
15-20 below zero is a common temp I'm milling in. Frozen alaskan birch at this temp, (mostly 20-24 inch saw logs , 90 cc saws fall flat on their face. Fixed jet on the 3120 is a no-go when yah gotta tune the saw for below zero temps.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What difference does it make if you run a quart or 30 gallons through it. If it vibrates it vibrates.

The difference is, you haven't run one in below zero temps. Rediculous, that from cape cod mass, you think you know something about this saw?? Stick to suburus and dunkin donuts bud.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting Lee,
as small business owner, a disabled veteran with three one-year tours in war, a decent education earned via the good ole GI bill, 10 years of building a freight dog mushing kennel, building my home from nothing, and saving few folks lives along the way, you don't know sht about me, or my stihl-born 881, ha!

In the past month, I've helped two elderly fella and a 3rd neighbor with firewood chores and dangerous roofing work, and donated a bunch of food to a hermit-neighbor who ended up in the hospital for malnutrition.

Never asked for nothing in return.

Thosands of folks have contacted me, thanking me for film work I've done. Now, I'm working on dog mushing/canoeing retreats for to curb the high-rate of suicide with active army and airforce folks up here in Alaska.

Got a conservation officer coming from ft. wainwright to meet with me. I'll brainstorm with him about my active army and airmen retreats tomorrow.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Chainsaw-57

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks to me like the bar was only clamped tight on front. For what ever reason, back of bar was able to flex and crack.

Larry, HOS.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting Lee,
as small business owner, a disabled veteran with three one-year tours in war, a decent education earned via the good ole GI bill, 10 years of building a freight dog mushing kennel, building my home from nothing, and saving few folks lives along the way, you don't know sht about me, or my stihl-born 881, ha!

In the past month, I've helped two elderly fella and a 3rd neighbor with firewood chores and dangerous roofing work, and donated a bunch of food to a hermit-neighbor who ended up in the hospital for malnutrition.

Thosands of folks have contacted me, thanking me for film work I've done. Now, I'm working on dog mushing/canoeing retreats for to curb the high-rate of suicide with active army and airforce folks up here in Alaska.

Got a conservation officer coming from ft. wainwright to meet with me. I'll brainstorm with him about my active army and airmen retreats tomorrow.
Lee is right. The arrogance is flowing now. I know nothing about you, yet, now I know all I need to know.

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Anyhow, I hope you get it figured out, with whatever saw works for your needs, and you find joy in milling.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Interesting Lee,

I’m going to tell you the same as I’ve told others with a shítty attitude on here… Fit in or get lost!!! This is a fairly close knit community here and the guys your beefing with are well respected and extremely knowledgeable about chainsaws. You’re right nobody here knows you. All we know of you is what you’ve written which has been a bunch of arrogant nonsense to this point. I repeat shape up or ship out!