WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So to summarize:

The STIHL M-Tronic diagnostic module is available from STIHL for ~$750, eBay used for ~$350, so if the local dealer is jacking around (or there is no local dealer) it's possible to get into the saw's ECU and see what's up, reset it, etc.

Husqvara will claim their (unusable) diagnostic module is stolen and try to get it back.

ECHO--ha ha ha, they use a capacitor! So while it's unfortunate their marketing department is saying "G-Force Air Cleaner" (sounds like a Power Rangers animation) and CDI Digital Ignition (capacitor discharge ignition module), their "high-end electronic technology" is basically a spark plug and ignition coil. 🤣

ECHO marketing should really say:
We use technology proven to work, and all you need to fix it is a screwdriver.
(and a wrench if something is really broken)
BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE WANT (simple).
Well, it's what many people want, and it works.
(The digital stuff is pretty nice when it's working, which is "almost always.")

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So to summarize:

The STIHL M-Tronic diagnostic module is available from STIHL for ~$750, eBay used for ~$350, so if the local dealer is jacking around (or there is no local dealer) it's possible to get into the saw's ECU and see what's up, reset it, etc.

Husqvara will claim their (unusable) diagnostic module is stolen and try to get it back.

ECHO--ha ha ha, they use a capacitor! So while it's unfortunate their marketing department is saying "G-Force Air Cleaner" (sounds like a Power Rangers animation) and CDI Digital Ignition (capacitor discharge ignition module), their "high-end electronic technology" is basically a spark plug and ignition coil. 🤣

ECHO marketing should really say:

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE WANT (simple).
Well, it's what many people want, and it works.
(The digital stuff is pretty nice when it's working, which is "almost always.")
Don’t know what dealer said they were 750 I paid close to 800 for mine couple years ago. Heard they’re around a 1000$ now.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
11:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t know what dealer said they were 750 I paid close to 800 for mine couple years ago. Heard they’re around a 1000$ now.
I paid $750 I think for mine. I’ve had it about 5 years. The first dealer I asked to sell me one declined to when their mechanic objected. The second attempt was successful and was conducted over the phone. Simple as could be.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At what point does it become worth it to buy a used STIHL interface off eBay for ~$350?
(assuming one owns a fairly recent M-Tronic saw)

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At what point does it become worth it to buy a used STIHL interface off eBay for ~$350?
(assuming one owns a fairly recent M-Tronic saw)
I repair tree service saws ect and have only used it 3 times. Most mtronic issues can be solved without one it’s more helpful on the 500i

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
11:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve mostly just played with mine. But enough I think to be able to say that it could be quite useful. Won’t replace knowledge and common sense though.