AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be surprised if you can get your hands on them just yet Dan..

It seems like stihl's prerelease thing. But what I’m wondering is if they have a new chain coming, and there’s a supply chain issue. Like most things atm :(

So far, I've gotten that 'I just stepped off a UFO' kinda look from the dealer I went to. Lol. I'm pretty used to it though....

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So in that vid, he says sometime in 2022. He also says “reintroduce stihls rs chain”.

umm… now the long wait… and where will it be released first ;)

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This sounds like a great idea, even for Stihl. Cannot wait to see one. Prolly next year with all the supply chain issues. Wonder when they will show up down here in Georgia?

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I seeing and understanding correctly?

The file is "safe" on the bottom so it just rides on the "gullet" and self regulates the depth of the cut?

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I seeing and understanding correctly?

The file is "safe" on the bottom so it just rides on the "gullet" and self regulates the depth of the cut?
That’s what I was seeing, safe top/bottom just 4 cutting sides and also what the fella said in the vid that @Busa2r shared in the other thread.

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Obviously they are 2 separate animals but this 2 year old picture of an Archer cutter profile bears a striking resemblance

Not the gullet of course but the < profile

IDK...

upload_2021-9-29_17-28-39.jpeg

upload_2019-4-20_14-22-8-png.177904

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it's primary purpose is ease of sharpening without a guide, where it takes the variability of the height of a bare round file in the cutter completely out of the equation. With a round file used with a guide it's not an issue anyway...

The hexa file only has two useable sides and I think it was stated in one of the videos or writeups that it's expected to last for two sharpening's(?!). At least, unlike a bevel/square file, wiping out the corners isn't a big deal.
But no more rotating the round file around to find the sweet spot to get a last sharpening or two...

Despite it's appearance, I really don't believe that there's any relationship at all to bevel/square chain.

I don't see there being much of any cutting performance improvement over round filing and in effect it's pretty much what you end up with "round" grinding. With a round file the underside of the top cutting edge gets radiused ("hollow ground") where with a grinder it goes straight in and depending on the wheel radius can leave a flat surface.
So the only difference from grinding to hexa is the angular profile on the side plate which to me seems fairly inconsequential to the cutting performance and could easily enough be duplicated anyway with an appropriately profiled wheel if desired.

So it may hold up a bit better than (similarly angled) round filed because the radiused round filed edge is by definition more delicate but then seems hexa would also be slightly slower.

A while back I bought a 288 from a logger and noticed the chain cutters had a profile very similar to the hexa.
I inquired and he told me he had been "square filing" his chains like that for years and they cut quite well, showed me a double bit file that he was using.
He was somewhat intrigued when I showed him what actual square filed was, had never actually seen it before and was very interested in trying it.

Last edited: