Stihl 462 rebuild

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I agree with Dr Al. The PTO bearing should be installed with oiler mounted. Best practice is to split it again.

I haven’t done that many bearings, but the guy I learned from is super careful. I’m sure he would say to get a new PTO bearing and start over. Others may disagree.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
10:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes oil pump must be mounted for bearing installation. If you want to try and save your bearing, just make sure you “remove” this one by pressing/pounding on the outer race only. Match up a socket that won’t interfere with the case, but that makes full contact with the outer race and it will move without damaging the internals of the bearing. That being said, fully inspect the bearing before reusing it!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I agree with Dr Al. The PTO bearing should be installed with oiler mounted. Best practice is to split it again.

I haven’t done that many bearings, but the guy I learned from is super careful. I’m sure he would say to get a new PTO bearing and start over. Others may disagree.

Yes oil pump must be mounted for bearing installation. If you want to try and save your bearing, just make sure you “remove” this one by pressing/pounding on the outer race only. Match up a socket that won’t interfere with the case, but that makes full contact with the outer race and it will move without damaging the internals of the bearing. That being said, fully inspect the bearing before reusing it!

...or, do the fly side first. Just heat case and drop in until it bottoms out, everything will be indexed perfectly, crank centered etc. every time.
This is the Husqvarna, less complicated way of doing this task and what I do with every saw including all the Stihl's that I rebuild.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beat me to it.

I’ll read it all next time:(

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The aluminum case screw is not reusable.

Gearshifter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the help guys . When I do the case halfs I use a heat gun , can the oil pump withstand the heat if it's mounted to the case so I can drop the bearing in ?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the help guys . When I do the case halfs I use a heat gun , can the oil pump withstand the heat if it's mounted to the case so I can drop the bearing in ?
Yes, I actually use a handheld MAP Gas torch and an infrared thermometer. Oil pump side down of course, just heat the crankcase around the bearing surface (not the actual bored bearing surface) until the case is roughly 300 degrees and if it doesn’t fall in, it will tap in very easily. Have all your tools ready to go, and once again, only tap on the outer race for install as well.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...or, do the fly side first. Just heat case and drop in until it bottoms out, everything will be indexed perfectly, crank centered etc. every time.
This is the Husqvarna, less complicated way of doing this task and what I do with every saw including all the Stihl's that I rebuild.
I’d like to see this done (I’m a visual learner). You could you make a video of this next time you do one?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don’t disassemble it, tapping on either race without tapping them both at the same time is hard on the bearing. And I don’t know of a way to tap on them both at the same time.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you saying flywheel side done first, then install crank, gasket and PTO side crank case, and THEN heat/press bearing in from the outside?

Gearshifter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the help . I feel like abit if an idiot doing all this work to find out I installed the bearing wrong :(

Oh well I guess it's a learning curve !

Stihl knows how to charge , a set of bearings where $80 new zealand currency and the seals where $40 for a set .

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the help . I feel like abit if an idiot doing all this work to find out I installed the bearing wrong :(

Oh well I guess it's a learning curve !

Stihl knows how to charge , a set of bearings where $80 new zealand currency and the seals where $40 for a set .
But you won’t make this mistake again next time, and that is called learning. We’ve all had to learn at one time or another!