Splitter Recommendations

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I hate to admit it but I gotta buy a splitter. I absolutely love splitting by hand with my Fiskars maul, but the elbows and wrists are telling me it's time to get a mechanical splitter. I'm not thrilled b/c I do not like the extra noise of running a gas engine to do something I generally find peaceful, and I'm also not crazy about spending the cash to get one.

I usually buy decent stuff that lasts. Of course this tends to make it pricier. What are ppl using for splitters; are there any brands that are universally reliable? Or brands to just stay right away from? Much as I'd love to buy an ultra-fast kinetic splitter or something it's hard for me to justify the cost.

Advice appreciated!!

alfack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you decide on a kinetic, which it doesn't sound like you are going to, don't get the DR. I have the Supersplit and it has been rock solid. There is a downside tho. You have to lift the, most of the time, heavy rounds onto the table.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Save up a bunch of rounds and rent a splitter (preferably without an hour meter) for the weekend, do a marathon splitting fest.
See what you like and don’t like about that splitter, gives you a basis to go on before you buy.
I also don’t use a maul the 4lb fiskars x27? I split atleast 70 cord with, in decently straight wood it’s king

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also only spend money on firewood production you’ve made on firewood. Easy way to lose alot of cash buying stuff to make it easier/ faster out of pocket

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Craigslist and FB marketplace are your friend. If not for production, the farm store brand works fairly well. We’ve had a Speco for years and never had an issue. I believe it’s the standard imported one that most farm stores carry. Check the used rental tool website for Home Depots near you. The Barreto splitter isn’t awful and I’ve saw them go for as little as $400 around here. Even with a Predator repower, your still fairly cheap.

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great advice so far! After looking at different retailer websites this evening, I’m considering an electric kinetic splitter from Home Depot.

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well apparently the 10T electric Kinetic splitter from King Canada is not functional below 4 degrees C (call it 39F); the best time for us to get in and out of the woods and split is fall and early spring. Then again I am not doing massive amounts so have the option to split in the garage too if we ever need to do so when it's really cold. On balance given the quiet operation (try not to piss off the neighbours), cost, etc. this might be the winner!

Pruz

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I hate to admit it but I gotta buy a splitter. I absolutely love splitting by hand with my Fiskars maul, but the elbows and wrists are telling me it's time to get a mechanical splitter. I'm not thrilled b/c I do not like the extra noise of running a gas engine to do something I generally find peaceful, and I'm also not crazy about spending the cash to get one.

I usually buy decent stuff that lasts. Of course this tends to make it pricier. What are ppl using for splitters; are there any brands that are universally reliable? Or brands to just stay right away from? Much as I'd love to buy an ultra-fast kinetic splitter or something it's hard for me to justify the cost.

Advice appreciated!!
I bought a Troy Built 27 ton with a Honda 5.5HP motor about 16 years ago from Lowes. I think it was 11 or 12 hundred back then. Using Lowes credit card take another 10% off. Great splitter for a homeowner.

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really would love a U.S. built Super-Split. Four times the cost of Chinese made but you typically get what you pay for!

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My super split has been a fantastic machine, I bought it all taken apart and rebuilt it myself. Paul and his son had no issues supplying parts and answering my questions. Very good people to deal with.
Shop around to try and find a used one. They’re not hard to work on

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a new 'Forest King' branded 30 ton a few years back. Engine was ccp junk, but has been replaced. Unsure on maker of control valve and pump but it's still working just fine several years and a few dozen cord later. Whatever you get, make sure it has a work table and that the working height is comfortable for you.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also only spend money on firewood production you’ve made on firewood. Easy way to lose alot of cash buying stuff to make it easier/ faster out of pocket
That’s no fun !! I installed a wood boiler and purchased a grapple, big dump wagon, mini-excavator wood splitter, 8 chainsaws and a couple different chain grinders and a bunch of repair tools …… it might cash flow in 20yrs lol. Keeps me busy and active.

Get a Brigg Innovation splitter for a mini-excavator. If you don’t have a mini it’s a good reason to get one !! Split on the ground until it’s down to size and split the last one over the trailer. Super slick !!
2023-09-20 19.13.10.jpeg

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a new 'Forest King' branded 30 ton a few years back. Engine was ccp junk, but has been replaced. Unsure on maker of control valve and pump but it's still working just fine several years and a few dozen cord later. Whatever you get, make sure it has a work table and that the working height is comfortable for you.
Great advice, thanks!

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s no fun !! I installed a wood boiler and purchased a grapple, big dump wagon, mini-excavator wood splitter, 8 chainsaws and a couple different chain grinders and a bunch of repair tools …… it might cash flow in 20yrs lol. Keeps me busy and active.

Get a Brigg Innovation splitter for a mini-excavator. If you don’t have a mini it’s a good reason to get one !! Split on the ground until it’s down to size and split the last one over the trailer. Super slick !!
View attachment 421120
Dude you are legit my new hero!!!!! I'm gonna show my wife this post if/when she complains about the splitter I wanna buy!

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Really would love a U.S. built Super-Split. Four times the cost of Chinese made but you typically get what you pay for!
Buy once cry once. Simply put it’s built well enough to pass down to your children. And yes it can handle the big stuff.IMG_2463.jpeg
IMG_2460.jpeg

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dude you are legit my new hero!!!!! I'm gonna show my wife this post if/when she complains about the splitter I wanna buy!
Tools are nice to have. Time is money and although I don't have a lot of money I have less time these days. Plus it's really nice to split those big chunks without having to actually touch them !! It's a lot safer than handling them by hand. Faster as well so you'd have more time to spend with Mama Bear. All reasons to buy tools and toys !!

jcarlberg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, after LOTS of research and reflection I settled on the Split-Fire 2265 with Honda GX200 powerplant. Good Canadian-made machine using mostly U.S. parts so should stand up and hold its valiue well. Should be out here in about a month - I'm low on wood to split so gotta get out and get some rounds cut! Would like to still try to get 20 cords ready to sell this summer/fall.