High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Solo 667 Yea or Nay

Baconaman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
First post here at the OPE forum. I'm looking at a complete and mostly running 667 - it starts but runs away at the moment. I haven't found much on the web regarding this saw and most of what I have seen so far is lacking excitement. I've only been messing with saws less than 2 years due to moving and needing wood to heat the house and the water. I'm finding myself wanting to horde, I mean have a variety of saws. My first saw was a 181se which is down at the moment waiting for some trigger parts. It was a lot of saw for my first one but I learned to respect the power of a saw and it served me well most of last winter. After that I picked up a 340 for the smaller stuff and that has been a good saw so far. In the last 6 months I've picked up an 041 AV Super, a Jonsered 630, a 372xp and a 362xp. The 372xp is awesome, best saw so far. The Jonsered was a parts saw, but I got it back up and running and I think once I spend a little more time on the carb, it will be a valuable member in the arsenal. I mention all this in order to give you a feel for what kind of saw disease I have so you can best sense if the 667 makes sense to pursue. I was also wondering if there are any common mods for the 667 that increase performance. There is also a 60cc class Makita with the 80cc upgrade that I have been looking at but it is 3x the price of the Solo.

Baconaman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Testing, testing, 1,2,3. Good first post there Baconaman, keep up the good work!

This has just been a test to see if this post's reply function is working properly since it has been more than an hour since it was first introduced. Do you think that it being in the middle of the night on a Sunday has anything to do with the replies not pouring in?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to ope.

Unless it was really cheap, I can't see it getting used much with the 372 around.

Supposed to be 68 or 69cc fairly light for the cc of the spec are correct. Probably benefit from a muffler mod.

I have no personal experience with solo saws. From what I have seen, they appear to be built well. Some parts may be tough to find on the older models.

Just some things to think about.

Last edited:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Solo 667 runs decent and will keep up with similar sized saws from it's era like the Husky 268. Takes the same large mount Husky bar as well. Like Red97 mentioned, parts are not going to be easy to find. Solo does sell parts direct through their website, but how well they support older models is unknown. And if it has an air leak, you will need parts. Might want to visit their site and see if they have things like intake parts and fuel line for the 662/667 chassis.

It's something different and if it's nice and cheap, then you really don't have anything to lose. Could be a fun project.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I answered this same post over on AS- the older Solos are great saws but parts are getting scarce. There's a big following in Europe (Germany mainly) for the 662/667 saws and some sellers there have started selling repops of certain parts. They're built like tanks and take tons of abuse (the 662/667 crankshaft weighs as much as an MS-460 crank). The support from Solo USA now is minimal to none. Solo USA wants out of the chainsaw business and is starting to ramp down their parts support of saws (especially the older models). I've been in regular contact with them over the last two years and have been dealing directly with the head of their parts division to buy out the last of the parts line for the bigger saws.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
(Copy and pasted from AS to the same question)

I have one. It’s not too bad power wise. But like Jacob j said, I good 60cc will do just as much work. I haven’t tried it with a longer bar, but I think that’s where it will be at home.

There is a guy I hooked up with in Illinois that was a solo dealer. He said he has a mess of 667 and 690 parts.
http://www.sure-vent.com/welcome.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baconaman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I answered this same post over on AS- the older Solos are great saws but parts are getting scarce. There's a big following in Europe (Germany mainly) for the 662/667 saws and some sellers there have started selling repops of certain parts. They're built like tanks and take tons of abuse (the 662/667 crankshaft weighs as much as an MS-460 crank). The support from Solo USA now is minimal to none. Solo USA wants out of the chainsaw business and is starting to ramp down their parts support of saws (especially the older models). I've been in regular contact with them over the last two years and have been dealing directly with the head of their parts division to buy out the last of the parts line for the bigger saws.

You are correct. When I did a general web search regarding this saw it seemed like there were a lot more Solo threads here than AS so I decided it wouldn't hurt to join another forum to get advice from the ones who have already gone down this path of saw addiction. I am in the early stages of the disease so I'm bound to make more mistakes.

Baconaman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
(Copy and pasted from AS to the same question)

I have one. It’s not too bad power wise. But like Jacob j said, I good 60cc will do just as much work. I haven’t tried it with a longer bar, but I think that’s where it will be at home.

There is a guy I hooked up with in Illinois that was a solo dealer. He said he has a mess of 667 and 690 parts.
http://www.sure-vent.com/welcome.htm

That is an awesome resource. Still on the fence about it. If the seller were closer I would probably already have it but it's a bit of a drive.

Baconaman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Parts should be easy to come by for this particular deal.. The seller also has a non running complete 667 parts saw to go with it for another 50 bucks.
So $200 total for two.

There is something missing in your post in terms of mentioning a person that has a 667 for sale, or......... you know which saw I am looking at and you have communicated with the seller. If the latter, what is your take on it?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you guys are talking about the same saw, then IMO $200 is way out of line for an oddball saw that may have an air leak.

This is one of those mistakes that you can learn from by not making it. :)

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There is something missing in your post in terms of mentioning a person that has a 667 for sale, or......... you know which saw I am looking at and you have communicated with the seller. If the latter, what is your take on it?
You should probably consider contacting the seller.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did one of you guys buy these saws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baconaman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't pursue it but I don't know if Chainsaw Jim did or not. I never did get a straight answer whether or not we were talking about the same saw or not. Maybe he was the owner. If he was, he's either moved from Springfield to Hood River or he's staying at his dad's because the seller represented that the saw belongs to his dad. Maybe he figured out what Craigslist location I would be looking at and saw it and made inquiries as well and heard about the second saw which I still have no knowledge if that exists with this saw in terms of the ad or my communications with the seller. I may have pursued it if it had been closer to my location and I had more time. I'm pretty excited about this 372xp I got recently and have been processing some 6 cord of wood - I'm almost half way through. I also picked up a Jonsered 630 awhile back and want to get it all dialed in as well as I want to research modding a 181se that I have so I don't really need another saw to mess with right now unless it is as known legend of a saw like an 044 or 346xp or something known to have massive potential. I didn't get enough raves on here or AS to get too excited about the 677.

Baconaman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't pursue it but I don't know if Chainsaw Jim did or not. I never did get a straight answer whether or not we were talking about the same saw or not. Maybe he was the owner. If he was, he's either moved from Springfield to Hood River or he's staying at his dad's because the seller represented that the saw belongs to his dad. Maybe he figured out what Craigslist location I would be looking at and saw it and made inquiries as well and heard about the second saw which I still have no knowledge if that exists with this saw in terms of the ad or my communications with the seller. I may have pursued it if it had been closer to my location and I had more time. I'm pretty excited about this 372xp I got recently and have been processing some 6 cord of wood - I'm almost half way through. I also picked up a Jonsered 630 awhile back and want to get it all dialed in as well as I want to research modding a 181se that I have so I don't really need another saw to mess with right now unless it is as known legend of a saw like an 044 or 346xp or something known to have massive potential. I didn't get enough raves on here or AS to get too excited about the 677.
Should have said 667. Also, I think this proves I do have some restraint in the midst of this saw hoarding disease.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk