High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So what's the current two stroke oil favorite?

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s interesting. I cleaned this piston crown fully, I then mixed up 32:1 Amsoil Saber and put it in my stihl fs36 weed eater. Manual says to tune 9200rpm.

I tuned it to 8700 max rpm which was in and out of 4 stroking - didn’t want to go leaner.

Then I extended the trimmer line a few extra inches to load the powerhead up and that dropped the rpm by 1000 and it no longer 4 stroked.

I then tied a cable tie around the throttle and let it run like that, loaded for 20 minutes (with about 5 minutes of idle and throttle blips to tune it before hand) without cutting grass, just the longer length of line loading the powerhead. This is the result.

I love the smell and colour of Amsoil, but this was disappointing. Then again, if they have designed it to run at 80-100:1 then really I’m the ignorant one trying to mix it at 32:1 and expect a clean engine.

I’m going back and forth in my mind if I should do 50:1 or 80:1

I have seen Richard Flagg do videos on both, 80:1 and it’s basically spotless, not much residual in the crank though, but the saws he’s working in have had 80:1 for years and work hard no provlems. 50:1 it has much more carbon build up and almost seems unnecessary with this oil.

Here is the strimmer, I’d suggest 70% of the piston is clean, 30% has carbon. The carbon is somewhat soft and a bit gooey. Besides one earlier run for 15 minutes, this is the only other run it has had. This piston was mostly shiny clean before this run.

View attachment 351949
View attachment 351944 View attachment 351945 View attachment 351946 View attachment 351947

Your pictures show exactly what Kevin described does it not?

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wanted to report back on the Saber. Still cant get over how there is just no smoke, but at 32:1 it seems to be producing too much carbon build up. I know they recommend 80-10:1. I’m not confident there. Will try 50:1 next.

For those running Saber in their OPE garden equipment, what are you running it at?
You run your saw at full load no smoke AT ALL. And dont idle too much, oil will pool up and smoke quite a bit when you floor it again.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No grass to cut… the engine doesn’t care how it is loaded so long as it is..

real work is a different load then just running it with extra string. the engine loads more or less depending on what your trimming. Maybe just use what you’re comfortable with and move on.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to see inside a high hr engine run on 80:1/100:1 sure they don't blow up but I bet there is piston skirt wear the oil film would be so thin?
More oil = better ring = more power. What I can't get my head around is how 100:1 could provide good ring seal with so little oil?

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to see inside a high hr engine run on 80:1/100:1 sure they don't blow up but I bet there is piston skirt wear the oil film would be so thin?
More oil = better ring = more power. What I can't get my head around is how 100:1 could provide good ring seal with so little oil?
I wanted to find the exact same thing mate, the only one I could find was from Richard Flagg. He’s a member here and has a yt channel too. I’d try 80:1 in one of my $5 weed eaters from the dump, but I couldn’t bring myself to do so in anything good that I own lol.

Richard puts out great content.

Ktoom

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I havent really been on this forum or in the chainsaw world as much for the past 5 years. I started a side hustle, mowing some accounts as a sub-contractor for my brother in laws property maintenance company. With that being said, my interests changed and Ive gravitated to the lawnsite forum talking about mowers, back pack blowers and weed whackers. Ive developed weed whacker addiction and own 8 different weed whackers from Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna and Redmax. Really loving the new generation of echo with the 2620 and 3020 string trimmers.

Ive been running Red Armor for years now. I liked the stiction it had and film it leaves on the internals. I went with red armor from the praise its received on multiple forums. I use about 20 gallons of premix in a mowing season, which really isnt much. Ive never had any fuel issues with any of my trimmers or blowers. I originally tried running 40:1, but didnt care for the performance even after tuning, so I switch to 50:1 and havent changed it since.

There are a few guys on lawnsite who run Saber at 80:1 and have never had any issues. It might seem a little crazy, but it is do able. Performance might be a little better as well.

Im very big into the dirtbike world. Oil is constant talk on the dirtbike forums as well. Whether its engine oil or premix oil. Ive used amsoil and maxima in my
4 stroke as well as the 2 strokes I once owned. I just switched to Motul for my 4 strokes. This oil is on the expensive side. A lot of engine builders I follow, recommend motul for various reason. Id be curious to try their 2 stroke oil.

Last edited:

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Motul 800 2T is the best smelling oil on the market. Walker’s Saw Shop highly recommends it. I have 2 gallons of it mixed right now running it in bigger (non ported) saws.

North by Northwest

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s actually shown to not be the case, if you look at any of the saws running 32:1 Schaefer’s 7000, they are clean as a whistle, no carbon anywhere, exhaust port or piston crown.
By rich , I am referring to fuel to air ratio . 32:1 oil to fuel actually decreases the fuel ratio since the cooling effect of the fuel is replaced by additional oil . Therefore richening the fuel to air ratio or rejetting often is warranted on some mx bikes or larger saws . I believe Schaffer is a ester based oil with detergent adders which causes the cleaning properties , however , can cause oxidation during storage due to its hydroscopic nature .

Last edited:

North by Northwest

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve never seen any carbon buildup with it, only a layer that forms right away on top of the piston. I’ve always run everything at 32:1
I have never had any deposits with Saber , I run it at 32:1 44:1 & 50:1 ( Milling , Commercial saws , Homeowner saws ) . The harder the saw application or higher compression saws get the heavier oil radio's . Never had a problem in a well tuned saw !

North by Northwest

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I havent really been on this forum or in the chainsaw world as much for the past 5 years. I started a side hustle, mowing some accounts as a sub-contractor for my brother in laws property maintenance company. With that being said, my interests changed and Ive gravitated to the lawnsite forum talking about mowers, back pack blowers and weed whackers. Ive developed weed whacker addiction and own 8 different weed whackers from Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna and Redmax. Really loving the new generation of echo with the 2620 and 3020 string trimmers.

Ive been running Red Armor for years now. I liked the stiction it had and film it leaves on the internals. I went with red armor from the praise its received on multiple forums. I use about 20 gallons of premix in a mowing season, which really isnt much. Ive never had any fuel issues with any of my trimmers or blowers. I originally tried running 40:1, but didnt care for the performance even after tuning, so I switch to 50:1 and havent changed it since.

There are a few guys on lawnsite who run Saber at 80:1 and have never had any issues. It might seem a little crazy, but it is do able. Performance might be a little better as well.

Im very big into the dirtbike world. Oil is constant talk on the dirtbike forums as well. Whether its engine oil or premix oil. Ive used amsoil and maxima in my
4 stroke as well as the 2 strokes I once owned. I just switched to Motul for my 4 strokes. This oil is on the expensive side. A lot of engine builders I follow, recommend motul for various reason. Id be curious to try their 2 stroke oil.
I have recently switch to Interceptor & just last week to Dominator for all chainsaw applications . I just bought a quart of Red Armor for another trial . If successful I may run it within my 150 HP snowmobiles . P.S. trimmers are often idled to much & deposit & sponge producers since they are not ran hard enough at times . 40:1 with these units & wrong tune or oil type can be detrimental . FD oils are the way to go , since they have the sub oil packages that really help with the cleanliness & antioxidizers . Run it like you stole it once broke in , no lugging & all is well in my books !