Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t doubt it. They’ve brought crazy money lately

I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes for more, a buddy just sold his SDM in the last few months for more then 1500. We recently got offered 1500 for a P&D 11H grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody in Wisconsin have one of these I could measure? I'd like to draw one of these and see what we could manufacture this for. I think we could beat these prices and still have a well made unit.

A SDM-4? I believe that design is patented, so that might be something to look into?

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody in Wisconsin have one of these I could measure? I'd like to draw one of these and see what we could manufacture this for. I think we could beat these prices and still have a well made unit.

I’d be really be interested in a silvey prosharp design and a silvey hdg-6 raker grinder. More so the raker grinder.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't want to infringe on any current applicable patents, but I also don't see the need for people to be paying $1500 for something that does this.
I want to see what I can do (this is the kinda *s-word I do at work all day) We can design and manufacture our own square grinder

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't want to infringe on any current applicable patents, but I also don't see the need for people to be paying $1500 for something that does this.
I want to see what I can do (this is the kinda *s-word I do at work all day) We can design and manufacture our own square grinder

Take a pro sharp patents or not figure out how much time your cad work is worth, now figure out how much Silvey had into R&D, now who’s going to cast the parts for you? Who’s doing all the machining? 1500 is about what we paid for mine some time back brand new.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My time on Solidworks is free, this is just a hobby thing we'd be doing. The machining could be done where I work, we'd be paying for that. R&D? We're designing a chain grinder not turbine parts, This is a relatively low part count, simple machine and given the lower volumes, maybe we don't use a a casting,
maybe we fabricate or form our way out of this, happens all the time. But if we do decide to cast it that is something we deal with as well, drawing and designing patterns and having them cast.

This is a thought experiment, if we can make say, 20 of these for some guys here for a couple hundred bucks that is all I am looking to achieve, the others are being or were being produced by companies charging for their time, amortizing tooling costs and making a profit, I'm just trying to make some square grinders for us cuz I dont wanna pay $1500 for one.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My time on Solidworks is free, this is just a hobby thing we'd be doing. The machining could be done where I work, we'd be paying for that. R&D? We're designing a chain grinder not turbine parts, This is a relatively low part count, simple machine and given the lower volumes, maybe we don't use a a casting,
maybe we fabricate or form our way out of this, happens all the time. But if we do decide to cast it that is something we deal with as well, drawing and designing patterns and having them cast.

This is a thought experiment, if we can make say, 20 of these for some guys here for a couple hundred bucks that is all I am looking to achieve, the others are being or were being produced by companies charging for their time, amortizing tooling costs and making a profit, I'm just trying to make some square grinders for us cuz I dont wanna pay $1500 for one.

Hey mark me down for one. Especially the raker grinder. I run a fabrication business and can help with some of it as well. Just don’t have any cnc machines. All old school.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on how they come out, I'd be interested in one too. A square grinder.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@srcarr52 might be a good one to talk to about his thoughts? I know he made some upgrades for the RSII and Simington.

I've been looking into making a complete grinder but I haven't had time to follow through with it. Too busy just making parts for what I already sell and building saws.

Brandon427

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would anyone using a simington 451c want to tell me what setup they like to use for stihl chain. Specially rs 33. Thank you