Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still winter mothballed, only got started a couple times and ran on mildly increased idle to move internals and charge the battery.
We are the first and only owners.
It is a license built Massey Ferguson clone/copy.

IMG_20230422_193253.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ugh, get it back together and the damn top cover gasket is seeping fuel. I figured I would have to do this job about 5 times to get it right. I coated the gasket with Permatex High Tack as I've been doing to paper gaskets for decades. Does this stuff not get along with diesel?

Reactions: Lnk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The super high tack is diesel resistant. I don't believe the high tack is. Based off what they say on the package.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ugh, get it back together and the damn top cover gasket is seeping fuel. I figured I would have to do this job about 5 times to get it right. I coated the gasket with Permatex High Tack as I've been doing to paper gaskets for decades. Does this stuff not get along with diesel?
Not sure anything gets along with diesel. Do they make a rubber gasket for that?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Don't know of any rubber gaskets available, but I'll ask Napa the next time I'm in there. Guess I'm up for R&R number 3! :-(

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the tractor of our production 😉

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
9:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every gasket I've seen is paper, wonder if anybody makes a cork gasket for it?

I wouldn't use cork on the pump. Cork falls apart and then you have debris floating around in the pump. Make sure your cover is flat. Bet it's got a little bow in it. Lightly pull a flat file across it and I bet the file will only touch around the bolt holes. Get a scrap of polished granite and some 400 wet/dry sand paper. Put the paper on the granite, wet it, and non direction sand the sealing surface till it's shiny all across. New gasket put on dry. Don't over torque it.

Make sure the pump housing surface is also completely clean dry and flat.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This pump gasket hasn't broken in 50 years, do you think it will break it after the next 50 years 😉?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Permatex got back to me, they confirmed that High Tack will work for this application. I did file down a rough spot on the cover before I reassembled it, will recheck with a straight edge. What sort of torque should I use on the two 1/4" bolts that hold the cover on? MF has no service info on the pump whatsoever.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
9:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Permatex got back to me, they confirmed that High Tack will work for this application. I did file down a rough spot on the cover before I reassembled it, will recheck with a straight edge. What sort of torque should I use on the two 1/4" bolts that hold the cover on? MF has no service info on the pump whatsoever.

You probably won't find that information in the Massey service manual. Is that a roosa master pump?