Show us your tractors

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought an 8n was like 28 hp but may be wrong, my buddy has 2 one with the high/low transmission.

Sounds like the one with hi/lo is a frankenstein? To my knowledge none of the Ford N's or Ferguson 20 and 30 series had dual range. As I recall the Ford NAA/Jubilee and Ferguson TO-35 were the first ones of that family which had dual range.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like the one with hi/lo is a frankenstein? To my knowledge none of the Ford N's or Ferguson 20 and 30 series had dual range. As I recall the Ford NAA/Jubilee and Ferguson TO-35 were the first ones of that family which had dual range.

I also had an 8N with a Sherman over/under. At least, that's what we called it. It was pretty handy considering how ridiculously fast reverse is in the regular range. I don't know if it was from the factory though.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grandpa loved those Ns.

A young tech was here the other day. We were gawking at my Ford 1710 os.
He said the gears in the final drives can be switched around for a different ratio.
Something for me to study.

You guys mentioned HP earlier.
I remember in autos the HP measurement changed from crank to rear wheel. Not sure if tractors did the same. That may have been done to dodge epabs. Been a long time since I even thought of that lol.
The old Motors manuals revealed this.

Good thread.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were the Shermans factory installed? I always thought it was a dealer add-on, like the Harry Ferguson tractors repainted red before they were sold.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure when the change happened but all tractors I've looked up are classified by engine HP now. The only specs I can find are engine HP and pto HP. My older tractors like my VAC and the Zetor are rated by drawbar HP and pto HP.

Far as I know autos were never rated by wheel HP in any of our lifetimes. They changed from net to gross or sae but that measurement was always taken from the flywheel.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure when the change happened but all tractors I've looked up are classified by engine HP now. The only specs I can find are engine HP and pto HP. My older tractors like my VAC and the Zetor are rated by drawbar HP and pto HP.

Far as I know autos were never rated by wheel HP in any of our lifetimes. They changed from net to gross or sae but that measurement was always taken from the flywheel.
I like the old case tractors had a 1943 case sc but it pitched a rod through the block

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the old case tractors had a 1943 case sc but it pitched a rod through the block
Also had an allis wd and still have a coop e3
Which is the same as a cockshutt 30. Mine is the rare one with the high low transmission and live pto so I’d like to restore it sometime. Has a 4 cylinder buda engine in it from before allis bought the buda engine company

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plus the one I can work with instead of work on for now. Like the old stuff but lot of what I had needed lots of tlc and was a chore at times to keep running so I could accomplish something

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also had an allis wd and still have a coop e3
Which is the same as a cockshutt 30. Mine is the rare one with the high low transmission and live pto so I’d like to restore it sometime. Has a 4 cylinder buda engine in it from before allis bought the buda engine company

Just finished rebuilding a 262 Buda in a D17. That is one cool engine.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks, how would I remove the injector pump from the Perkins AD4-203 for resealing, then reinstall it? I have a reprint of the factory manual for the tractor and it has seriously nothing about this topic. Those old Ferguson manuals are weird in that some topics are completely omitted. One of my relatives has a diesel shop and he should be able to reseal the pump for a reasonable price.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks, how would I remove the injector pump from the Perkins AD4-203 for resealing, then reinstall it? I have a reprint of the factory manual for the tractor and it has seriously nothing about this topic. Those old Ferguson manuals are weird in that some topics are completely omitted. One of my relatives has a diesel shop and he should be able to reseal the pump for a reasonable price.
Look up the engine itself online and they’ll probably tell you how to pull it