Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aren't You guys overdoing it a little with those extremely opened mufflers?! o_O

Don't get me wrong, I love my mildly MMed PS-7300/7310/7900, but sometimes I really appreciate my stock PS-550/6400.
Firing up my XS5000 & MMWS6100 gives me a scare whenever I haven't ran them for a while.

There was a thread about it, when does a more open muffler result in more noise than power gain?

I personally prefer the "stock look", and I want screens to prevent anything from finding its way inside the muffler and consequently inside the engine.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
when does a more open muffler result in more noise
I found around 125-130% the opening of the exhaust port depending on the few saws I tried it on. But I’m just a hack. Dunno anything I guess lol. Results are gonna vary and opinions too. I too like to have to have screens of some sort in my saws like you. If someone asks me to not put a screen in there muffler or they want a more open muffler mod with lots of outlets/area that’s cool. It’s there saw.

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. Aren't You guys overdoing it a little with those extremely opened mufflers?! o_O

2. Don't get me wrong, I love my mildly MMed PS-7300/7310/7900, but sometimes I really appreciate my stock PS-550/6400.
Firing up my XS5000 & MMWS6100 gives me a scare whenever I haven't ran them for a while.

3. There was a thread about it, when does a more open muffler result in more noise than power gain?

4. I personally prefer the "stock look", and I want screens to prevent anything from finding its way inside the muffler and consequently inside the engine.

1. Whats your favorite color ? Whats your favorite food to eat ?

2. I dont run any 2 cycle thats stock, chainsaws scare me too (its nothing to be ashamed of)

3. There have been many threads about it, one specifically had the "no cover" muffler mod and another one had the "corn can" muffler mod as being the most powerfull

4. I personally preferr to breathe fresh clean air, how that happens and why that happens is what makes candy and nuts such a wonderfull subject to discuss. But, to satisfy most people (including you) here is the testing plan ................

IMG_8056.JPG IMG_8057.JPG

This particular MoFo had the stock muffler on it when it arrived. Doc didnt want to give me the saw without muffler modding it because he ran it with the stock muffler, and it was held back significantly. So he ran it with his own muffler from his own 261 to be sure it wasnt a turd (I'm pretty sure that he's never built any turd) before he let outta his paws.

To me, its pretty simple:
1. I want to breathe clean air
2. I'll run the muffler that makes the saw run the best
3. I like the dual nostrils, makes them more snotty
4. I wear ear plugs no matter what I run
5. Noise fills the silence

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found around 125-130% the opening of the exhaust port depending on the few saws I tried it on. But I’m just a hack. Dunno anything I guess lol. Results are gonna vary and opinions too. I too like to have to have screens of some sort in my saws like you. If someone asks me to not put a screen in there muffler or they want a more open muffler mod with lots of outlets/area that’s cool. It’s there saw.

2. I dont run any 2 cycle thats stock, chainsaws scare me too (its nothing to be ashamed of)

3. There have been many threads about it, one specifically had the "no cover" muffler mod and another one had the "corn can" muffler mod as being the most powerfull

4. I personally preferr to breathe fresh clean air, how that happens and why that happens is what makes candy and nuts such a wonderfull subject to discuss. But, to satisfy most people (including you) here is the testing plan ................

View attachment 251843 View attachment 251844

This particular MoFo had the stock muffler on it when it arrived. Doc didnt want to give me the saw without muffler modding it because he ran it with the stock muffler, and it was held back significantly. So he ran it with his own muffler from his own 261 to be sure it wasnt a turd (I'm pretty sure that he's never built any turd) before he let outta his paws.

Larger exhaust ports also get heat out faster and more efficiently.
Go big or go home.
Not implying any of it to be wrong, especially on a ported saw!

I was just wondering how much of it is a placebo effect having back pressure in mind.

I recently had a 038 in my hands, poor performer stock, freaking strong screamer without the mufflers front cover - I was shocked.
Long story short:
- saw ran a very poorly filed chain nearing its end of life, I filed it to my Archer FastFiler jig and set rackers to it too
- with stock muffler the saw pulled the loop fairly well in turkey oak (very dense oak species), but felt underwhelming
- after removing the mufflers front cover I re-set the rackers two more times taking off two file strokes each time - the saw asked for more
- obviously the saw can not be run in any decent manner without the front cover so with the consent of the owner I gave the saw a mild muffler mod - it yielded a noticeable gain without sacrificing comfort

Similar story with my PS-7310, as long as she featured the SLR she felt underwhelming, once the SLR got removed and stock outlet opened she became my favorite sounding and performing saw.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, was just thinking out loud so to speak.

Cheers :beer-toast1:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only real way for you to really know is to experiment. Different size openings yield different results. Til you reach that point of diminishing returns. Then cut back a little.
I imagine each saw brand maybe be a little different.
It's all good conversation Wilhelm. [emoji106]

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not implying any of it to be wrong, especially on a ported saw!

I was just wondering how much of it is a placebo effect having back pressure in mind.

I recently had a 038 in my hands, poor performer stock, freaking strong screamer without the mufflers front cover - I was shocked.
Long story short:
- saw ran a very poorly filed chain nearing its end of life, I filed it to my Archer FastFiler jig and set rackers to it too
- with stock muffler the saw pulled the loop fairly well in turkey oak (very dense oak species), but felt underwhelming
- after removing the mufflers front cover I re-set the rackers two more times taking off two file strokes each time - the saw asked for more
- obviously the saw can not be run in any decent manner without the front cover so with the consent of the owner I gave the saw a mild muffler mod - it yielded a noticeable gain without sacrificing comfort

Similar story with my PS-7310, as long as she featured the SLR she felt underwhelming, once the SLR got removed and stock outlet opened she became my favorite sounding and performing saw.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, was just thinking out loud so to speak.

Cheers :beer-toast1:
The 038 euro single port muffler? If so, I have one. Only the front cover has a hole. And there's a baffle behind the hole. I can't breath through it. Not mentioning the saw.

Wilhelm

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 038 euro single port muffler? If so, I have one. Only the front cover has a hole. And there's a baffle behind the hole. I can't breath through it. Not mentioning the saw.
This 038 has 3-slot gills with a baffle behind them, also birdcage baffle on the cylinder half.
That muffler is/was really flow restricted.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 251843 View attachment 251844

Where is the test video?