Send in the clones

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today a group of guys in our small town got together to cut some firewood for some older folks who need wood. Lots of standing dead ash around. There was a bunch of 60cc class saws which all the guys thought were "big" saws. I brought two creamsicle clones to the party. A 361 with big bore kit, gasket delete, advanced timing and gutted muffler. And a 660 with MMWS Cross cylinder, popup piston, gasket delete, advanced timing, max airflow air cleaner, gutted muffler and 8 tooth rim. Both run about 200psi compression. I guess you could call these J,C, Whitney saws. What can i just bolt on to go faster. Both saws wear 24 inch bars. We cut 4 trees, 2 were about 24 inches ABH and the others about 29. Couple of the guys were laughing at the chineese junk till i fired them and started cutting bucking. The 660 is just a brute, bury the bar in hard ash and just lean on it. I could cut 4 rounds to their 1. You could bury the bar on the 361 but had to be more careful to not lean to hard. Could still buck 3 rounds to their 1. To say the least they were impressed. One guy said he couldn't believe a 60cc saw could pull a 24" bar buried in ash. Of course i made numerous trips to the truck to fuel up. Most guys went through 1 tank of fuel. I went through over a gallon. Chainsaws are fun.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a Sunseeker brush cutter for 2 years now. My plan was to cut the brush around my parents land and then toss it if it burned up. It handled their land, my land and I loaned it out to friends 3 times. It just keeps running better.
Today, I got a Maxtra pole saw to clean up around my place (so I can see the deer this winter) with the same plan of tossing it when I'm done. We'll see how it goes.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just needed something to last for 1 or 2 jobs.
I've been a mechanic and experienced in car rebuilders for 30 years. The percentage of factory parts made here has been pretty small. It's hard to tell who you're supporting.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One time I bought brake shoes and pads and made sure that I was buying USA made. The only thing made here, was the box they were packaged in. They were name brand and made in china.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still have a source for canadian mexico and american brake parts. Some applications the china stuff from proven quality brand is much better quality. I use them without reservation on drums and rotors on all juice brakes. Real heavy duty applications i try to use webb products or old raybestos nos stuff.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got a used 2165 Jonsred zama carb that had made in China on it , maybe stihl was making jonny reds carburetors?

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wondering -- is it unrealistic to believe that ANY carbs are made in the US for chainsaws.
I remember the day when there were some posts that some of the most famous carbs were made in the same plants as the knock-offs.
If that be true there were some of us biting the bullet to pay for the Walbro branded carbs while the Chinese knock offs were made in the
same plant. What think ye? True or not?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wondering -- is it unrealistic to believe that ANY carbs are made in the US for chainsaws.
I remember the day when there were some posts that some of the most famous carbs were made in the same plants as the knock-offs.
If that be true there were some of us biting the bullet to pay for the Walbro branded carbs while the Chinese knock offs were made in the
same plant. What think ye? True or not?
Unfortunately probably true, I ordered a knock off zama for a stihl amd they literally ground off the word zama but you could still make it out. Unless they were just CYA for copyright infringement.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately probably true, I ordered a knock off zama for a stihl amd they literally ground off the word zama but you could still make it out. Unless they were just CYA for copyright infringement.

In the early days when Farmertec first started selling carb clones. I bought a carb -- it literally had the name on the bottom milled off.
Popped it on a saw and it ran flawlessly. :comp4:

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's hard to tell with carbs. I have tried swapping throttle and choke shafts between name brand and no name carbs for experimentation. The no name carbs shafts are a slightly different size. They look identical, until you try swapping parts.