Saw video thread

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You seem to really like 70cc stihls Mike, you might as well get a ported hybrid too

Yea, I got 3 044/440s and 3 046/460s, so I'm actually trying to work out a trade where I let something go to get a 90 cc saw for milling (letting go is very tough for me, they are almost like children). That said, I would like a bigger saw, and I certainly don't need any more than I have.

Currently have 9 runners and one on the operating table, plus an 08 S I would like to get rid of (don't even know if it runs). I have to start letting a few things go to change my line up a bit.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually run full skip on 32" and above regardless of the power head

I was running RSLH on both the 28" and 36" bars, but when I compared the 28" RSLH to RSL (in a video) I made the switch to RSL. May do the same on the 36", I plan to give it a try. I don't cut softwoods often, and the full comp seems to work just fine on the 044.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Compare it with the tip buried trying to clear chips before you decide to stick with full comp on the longer bars. I've used 130dl of full comp and as long as the tip was exposed it's fine. Bury the tip and the chips have no where to go but into the kerf and chain.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Compare it with the tip buried trying to clear chips before you decide to stick with full comp on the longer bars. I've used 130dl of full comp and as long as the tip was exposed it's fine. Bury the tip and the chips have no where to go but into the kerf and chain.

Agree totally, that is why I like to use the 28 or 36" bars for felling, keeps me out of "chain bind" trouble.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I have to buck something longer than my bar, I usually go over the top and down the backside first, which usually keeps me out of "chain bind" trouble! (The trunk was a little bigger near the bottom)

That don't work on trees 50-60" though unless you climb on top.